It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planned Parenthood Launches ‘Social Change Initiative’ to Teach Parents How to Educate Children

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

The Planned Parenthood Federation of America is signaling its intention to dominate the national sex education agenda.

Specifically, Planned Parenthood's Web site announced the group is preparing to launch a nationwide “social change initiative” to end the “stigma and shame about sex” in American culture.

The project aims to teach parents and caregivers how to educate children about sex -- from birth. And it recommends telling teenagers about masturbation, oral sex and “where to go for help to prepare to be sexually active.”

Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards

Source: www.cnsnews.com...

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ironfalcon

Well I think from birth is perhaps a little too soon lol.

However I have no problem with teaching teenagers about safe sex along with masterbation and that sort of thing. If they don't learn it from responsible adults they will learn it from other places and a confused Teenager is never good.

I know a lot of people will jump in the air, but the truth is the West is very prudish and we are ashamed of sex and sexual activities in general.

There's nothing wrong with educating children, so long as they are at the age where they can understand the material and put it into context.

Edit to Add:

How is any of this wrong?

“A child’s sexuality, sexual feelings, and sexual attitudes develop from the moment of Birth -- even before a child can speak. In fact, children start learning about sexuality through observation of family interaction and surroundings. When you don’t talk with your children about sexuality, you may give them the message that there is something wrong with sexuality and that it is not a topic you’re willing to discuss.”

“You can begin teaching your young child the basics of sexuality — anatomy, reproduction, sexual orientation, personal safety, feelings, relationships — as well as your own values,” reads the document. “As children grow and mature, they will be more interested in details about pregnancy and birth, the changes of puberty, etc.”

Another section, entitled "Conversation Starters," tells parents to be “factual" and to "clear up slang” when answering questions. It offers examples of children's questions, including slang for female masturbation and oral sex.

One talk-to-your-child tip includes the following bulleted item: “Take your child to the drugstore and point out the pads, tampons, condoms, etc. Take your teen to a clinic for contraception and exams, or let your teen know where to go for help to prepare to be sexually active.”

~Keeper
edit on 1/2/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Planned Murderhood has evolved into Planned Perversionhood, teaching children and teens the perversion of overpromotion of sex!!!

I mean, shouldn't we save sex for marriage?

Say you are single, and you are itching to be sexually active. Where else would you go but Planned Perversionhood?

Or would you wait a little longer to find a spouse?

The shame and stigma attached to sex actually helps control the rate of HIV/AIDS infections and unwanted pregnancies.

What do you think about Planned 'Parenthood'?
edit on 2/1/2011 by ironfalcon because: grammar

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ironfalcon
The shame and stigma attached to sex actually helps control the rate of HIV/AIDS infections and unwanted pregnancies.

edit on 2/1/2011 by ironfalcon because: grammar

I can't even believe what I just read...

You're saying that the shame and stigma of sex is a good thing?

How is being ashamed of the most natural thing in the world good? And no, the EDUCATION of people is what keeps the infections and pregancies low.

Sure use fear and propaganda to keep people from doing stuff.

Status quo much?

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I know a lot of people will jump in the air, but the truth is the West is very prudish and we are ashamed of sex and sexual activities in general.

Prudish huh? Wow you couldnt tell that by the amount of single mothers, dead beat dads and under age pregnancies.....

Just what about the TV show "16 and pregnant" is prudish?

We dont need more social programs pushed by the US government to indoctrinate our kids.......

What we need are parents to instill responsibility in their children and quit expecting the government and the school system to raise their damn kids.........

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

You know if the parents of the good ol' USA were actually taking the time to raise their kids, these sorts of things would not be necesarry now would they?

I don't see how educating young adults about sex is indoctrination...

I COMPLETELY AGREE that we SHOULD NOT have these conversations with children under the age of 14, as I don't think they will be able to fully understand. But teenagers NEED to be educated about safe sex.

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by ironfalcon

"Well I think from birth is perhaps a little too soon lol.
I know a lot of people will jump in the air, but the truth is the West is very prudish and we are ashamed of sex and sexual activities in general."

Prudish or discrete. True:

A) We do not have licenced sex displays in parks.

B) Our temples do not have erotic displays carved into their wall. But I cannot believe that we are prudish about sex.

I think ours is a highly sexualised culture of which some aspects like the enforced sexualisation of children I find to be highly dubious.
edit on 2-1-2011 by tiger5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tiger5

Look I'm with you about the sexualisation of your youth. It's happening more and more and do I think it's wrong?

Ofcourse I do.

But to state that there is something evil or wrong with educating teenagers about sex is just plain silly.

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I don't see how educating young adults about sex is indoctrination...

The key words in that whole thing should raise red flags "Social Change" etc....

The more power you give in oversight by the government the worse off you are going to be. If you dont think this will be funded by the government, id think twice about it.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
...some parents are so repressed and/or sexually dysfunctional that they need help explaining sex to their children... "dont do it until you're married" and "just say no" doesnt work, never has, never will...

...waiting until a kid is a teenager to talk about masturbation is about a decade too late, unless an idiot parent has already screwed them up...

...most kids are accomplished masturbaters by they time reach 4 or 5 yrs old... its perfectly natural and normal... the only parental instruction required is when its not appropriate... i handled that just like i handled temper tantrums - "stop that, it'll make you go blind!"... just kidding...

...explaining homosexuality usually isnt required... your kids learn what love is and how to respect other people's choices and privacy from watching you... they also learn bigotry and hate that way, if thats what you're teaching...

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I'm all for being frank about sex, but let's not go overboard here. I don't much think a 4-year-old has any business knowing that much about sex for the same reasons that he doesn't have any business knowing about mortgages, college entrance exams, or algebra.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Its about time. Sex is stigmatised in the US, instead of embraced as a natural and good thing, mainly due to so-called "morals" hijacked by religion, that have nothing to do with true morality. How do you expect teens to be responsible, when having sex is against the law and shunned by society?

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

I mean, shouldn't we save sex for marriage?

Historically, abstinence education has failed miserably. Teaching kids how to use contraceptives, especially condoms, makes a very substantial difference in preventing STD's and unplanned pregnancies.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

The truth is just the opposite:

Comprehensive Sex Education Is Effective, Does Not Promote Sexual Risks.

* Research has identified highly effective sex education and HIV prevention programs that affect multiple behaviors and/or achieve positive health impacts. Behavioral outcomes have included delaying the initiation of sex as well as reducing the frequency of sex, the number of new partners, and the incidence of unprotected sex, and/or increasing the use of condoms and contraception among sexually active participants.[4,5,6,7] Long-term impacts have included lower STI and/or pregnancy rates. [4,5,6,7]
Abstinence-Only Programs Are Dangerous, Ineffective, and Inaccurate.

Evaluations of the effectiveness of state-funded abstinence-only-until-marriage programs found no delay in first sex In fact, of six evaluations that assessed short-term changes in behavior, three found no changes, two found increased sexual activity from pre- to post-test, and one showed mixed results. Five evaluations looked for but found no long-term impact in reducing teens’ sexual activity.[9]

Source

I love Planned Parenthood. They deal with reproductive issues like no other organization that I know of. They don't stick their heads in the sand and say, "If we don't talk about it, it won't happen". I used their services several times during my youth and never had an STD or pregnancy.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
If you have to teach your teenager to masturbate your teenager is a lost cause. Just put him down ASAP.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
You know I bet most if not all on this thread had there first sexual encounter in their teens...I also bet most of our parents told us to wait...but we didn't and neither will your kids...

top topics

join