It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When parents go hungry, the diabetes risk of future generations increases

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

edit on 3-1-2011 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
reply to post by unityemissions

Shame can be good in some instances but I have repeatedly seen it cause self destructive behaviors and I saw it lead one person to suicide.

If someone is extremely conceited then a little shame can be good, but if someone suffers from poor self worth, which most over weight people do, then shame is only going to backfire. People with an already damaged sense of self worth are more apt to indulge in self destructive behavior.

I agree with this pretty much 100%, I just think people are failing to see that if a person truly removes shame, they're essentially psychopathic or very close to it. You gotta be willing to take the good with the bad to grow. I've continuously said that balance is necessary. Any feeling taken to an extreme will likely be detrimental in the long run.

The purpose of shame is to cause an internal crisis within the individual which necessitates reflection and internal growth. There's very good reason our species has evolved to feel this. It's not merely a cultural construct, it's instinctual.
edit on 3-1-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
When our bodies are exposed to dioxins our body puts that poison into fat to keep it from our internal organs.

Correct.

South Korea scientists just did a story that losing fat will then put those dioxins into your internal organs...BAD.

Partially correct. The best one can do is to slowly detox these chemicals out. Don't try to lose all that weight at once. A rebounding effect is likely going to happen, and you may very well overwhelm your bodies ability to handle the influx of toxins into the bloodstream. You can get the toxins out via stimulating the parasympathetic nervous system and sweating it out. It's our natural alternative to filtering toxins via the kidney and liver.

Watching China's obesity/diabetic explosion is proof positive....Dioxins create diabetes/obesity. We've destroyed our DNA.

If China realizes what we did to them how mad do you think they will get?

I'm certain that the Chinese know this, but it's not as if they're not part of the problem as well. We're both industrialized countries that spew out gargantuous amounts of heavy metals, pesticides, dioxides, etc. It has messed up a lot of our dna, but not fully destroyed it. I think it's more accurate to say that this is one way in which we find a cause for increased mutations of our DNA over the last 200 years or so. It's not as if every single one of these mutations will be a detriment. Some are bound to have a "random" positive, evolutionary effect.

Also, there's many other things to consider besides mere dioxins, such as pure sugar/hfcs consumption increases in the last several decades.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

I think you may be missing something that a lot of folks do. People assume that shame keeps us in check, and with out it we would be, like you said, (not psychopathic, but sociopathic I'm sure you meant the latter).

It's not shame that truly makes us act in accordance with others, it's empathy. I agree that without empathy, you end up with a predator. This is well spelled out in what is known as Histrionic Personality disorder.

Empathy is what allows one to forgive, which is what also removes things like shame, envy, hatred etc.

Shame triggers the reflex of denial, lying, etc. Where empathy causes the reflex of compassion, generosity etc.

I'm not saying that shame doesn't motivate... it can have that effect... but mostly it motivates to cover up, not to open up, as empathy does. When I communicate with my son using shame, his reflex is to cover up... self loath etc... but when I remove any aspect of shame (not consequences) then he opens right up and is very honest, because he has no fear of being "a bad kid".

edit on 3-1-2011 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
PLEASE........really??????

For the study, researchers fed a group of male mice a low-protein diet. They were then allowed to procreate. Genetic sequencing of the offspring of these mice showed numerous genetic alterations, particularly in areas of DNA that control the processing of fats by the liver. This caused mice to store more calories than they needed, which is known to increase the risk of diabetes.

So your statement that we can now "BLAME IT ON OUR PARENTS" is based on a study where some mice are fed a low-protein diet and then allowed to 'procreate'?

Uh-hum. Sure, okay.

While the phliosophical discussion has been interesting, I still say:

If you are over-weight or unhappy with your health due to your lifestyle than change it! Find a diet that works for you (usually just eating healthy foods in moderation is enough) and exercise!!!
edit on 3-1-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I just think you're very confused, man, and that perhaps we should just allow each other to have differing perspectives.

Take care.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

I understand... I will say that its not something academic to me... And that it's something I practice in business and teach my employees... it makes us that much more productive as we have found it's the shame of not having something done in time which many times is the thing which causes the mind to focus on other distractions.

Whereas we used to have late things from lots of folks... we no longer do, because, well we have removed shame from our organization.

Take care my friend.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
PLEASE........really??????

For the study, researchers fed a group of male mice a low-protein diet. They were then allowed to procreate. Genetic sequencing of the offspring of these mice showed numerous genetic alterations, particularly in areas of DNA that control the processing of fats by the liver. This caused mice to store more calories than they needed, which is known to increase the risk of diabetes.

So your statement that we can now "BLAME IT ON OUR PARENTS" is based on a study where some mice are fed a low-protein diet and then allowed to 'procreate'?

Uh-hum. Sure, okay.

While the phliosophical discussion has been interesting, I still say:

If you are over-weight or unhappy with your health due to your lifestyle than change it! Find a diet that works for you (usually just eating healthy foods in moderation is enough) and exercise!!!
edit on 3-1-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

Oh I never said that we couldn't do anything about it... just that it's much easier to move forward when you understand that the cupcake you eat today has a bigger impact on you than the cupcake your father or grandfather ate.

This is one of the many reasons one person can eat a piece of cake and have no issues, whereas another can look at one and gain a pound.

I'm not really sure why so many people see this study as a cop-out of sorts... I see it as empowering and motivational.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I think so many of us see it as a cop-out, because a lot of people tend to take this type of statement and then use it as an excuse for not having to take responsibility for thier own actions.

Any moron can tell you that genetics play a role in weight gain. All the women in my family put weight in their thighs and butts. Never fails. So I know that these are the areas I need to target when I exercise. I know too many people that instead of having that attitude, when they are sitting fat on the couch say "Well, it runs in my family."

We don't need a study on mice to tell us something we already have looking us right in the face. Just my opinion.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

The study doesn't say that it "runs in the family" though, as a trait that stays forever...

Honestly I think most folks are probably reading this through emotional glasses as opposed to analytical ones.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Emotions and Diabetes are linked as emotions and overeating are linked. If you are a person or family prone to living for the moment and eating for pleasure, you will all end up overweight.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Bordon81

Though that may be true, it's not what the study is about.

It's about the dietary behavior of a grandparent or parent during their adolescence genetically effecting the weight gain of a child or grandchild.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join