It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we becoming more stupid? Human brain has been 'shrinking for the last 20,000 years' .

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Source:
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Over the past 20,000 years, the average volume of the human male brain has decreased from 1,500 cubic centimetres to 1,350 cubic centimetres, losing a chunk the size of a tennis ball,' Kathleen McAuliffe writes in Discover magazine.

A very interesting article - however very difficult to really understand if we should worry or not. Was the brain of the ancient people wired the same way with ours? Is this brain loose (if true) a trend, are we going to loose more and more of our brain capacity ? will the trend accelerate? Could we end up as intelligent as gorillas one day ?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
The article and the topic's question can be answered in one simple word : evolution.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Romanian

Size isn't everything, it's how you use it.

edit on 2-1-2011 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Brain size has nothing to do with our intelligence.
Whether or not we as humans use our brains to the full capacity is another matter.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
We'll be fine. It's more about the connections of the neurons than the size of the brain. For example, the average female brain is quite a bit smaller than the average male brain, but I've always heard that the mean I.Q. score for both genders is about the same.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Back then we needed to use our head for survival, today not so much. Society makes survival easier, so why use so much of our brain if we don't need too.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Well, maybe evolution means shrinking and getting dumber haha. One of the golden rules of the evolution is "Use it or loose it". Maybe the more we create tools to help us, the less we need to actually use our entire brain. Then the evolution makes sure we do not waste energy on body-parts we do not need? O, let me be more optimistic - maybe we lost something we do not need very much in our day anyway ? Anyway if this thing is going to be an accelerating trend, then we do have to worry.

Anyway , I somehow believed that the brains got larger not smaller , so this find is very contradicting to the general belief..
edit on 2-1-2011 by Romanian because: corrected spelling

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Pulling any old nonesense up from the lying mainstream media doesn't really float my boat. This isn't really a contentious issue. Run of the mill clap trap crap isn't what ATS is about. Dynamic truth cutting through the matrix is what I want to see, not mundane medeocre evolution supporting sillyness.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
The size is really irrelevant because we only use like 10% of it anyways.

So even if we lost 50% of our brain matter but learned to use 20% of what we had we would actually be twice smarter.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Using the Daily Mail as a source yes defiantly less intelligent

Seriously though with the progression of technology there seems to be less and less for us to work out, Saying that a mere 100 years ago what percentage of people could read and write??
Not that that is a measure of intelligence by any means, which is entirely impossible to deduce, so I will stop typing.......hmmmm ,ok, well take care

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by maythetruthbeknown

Actually i got the news from another language, i just searched on Google for the English version, and picked up the first result. Sorry I do not read the UK newspapers nor know their reputation, so excuse me for being "ignorant".

edit on 2-1-2011 by Romanian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Was only joking with you.Bit of British sarcasm, don't take it to heart. Yeah not the best reputation the Daily Mail.. Do you have any other links?? Regards.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwood
The size is really irrelevant because we only use like 10% of it anyways.

So even if we lost 50% of our brain matter but learned to use 20% of what we had we would actually be twice smarter.

That was proven to be a myth.

faculty.washington.edu...

Stop overanalyzing people. Do not overthink. The answer to the question is evolution. Smaller brains does NOT mean humans got dumber over time.

Likewise with people with larger brains. Einstein may have had a brain that was like 4% larger than the average human's but there are no studies that even prove that larger brains mean the person is more intellectual.

news.softpedia.com...
edit on 2-1-2011 by fordrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
The faster and smaller things get, the more advanced. Thats how it appears to work with technology... why not us? I'd say the size of the brain is based on atmospheric changes causes more pressure over time constricting the size ever so slightly.. case explained.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by maythetruthbeknown

Haha , i thought you were really angry @ Daily Mail. The original article was published by
discovermagazine.com...

A quote I like :
If our brain keeps dwindling at that rate over the next 20,000 years, it will start to approach the size of that found in Homo erectus, a relative that lived half a million years ago and had a brain volume of only 1,100 cc.

I understand that the way the neuronal connections are working are more important than the size of the brain.. however - if this is a trend or faulty science, we will see.. sorry I will not be around by then

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

complexity is supposed to vitiate extremes
so i wouldn't worry that we are devolving

new topics

top topics

join