It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obesity Epidemic: Now effecting infants

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flighty
reply to post by iceblue20-12

I agree that a lot of kids play XBox but you are also talking about the generation who are the most busiest.
With soccer practice, ballet, dance class and a whole truckload of other activities that kids do these days, I find the old XBox thing a bit too simplistic.
There is more going on here than just eating too much and playing XBox all day.
Especially when you consider that kids are at school and a lot of kids at after school care most of the day.
The time they spend at home is minimal. So unless kids no longer get the same amount of activity at school as we used to, then taking into account all the other stuff they do, it still doesn't equate with this obesity epidemic.
There is something being put in a lot of everyday food that is causing this.
And unless it's brought out into the open and something is done about it soon, the following generations are going to get bigger and bigger.

edit on 2-1-2011 by Flighty because: (no reason given)

My daughter spent her whole 4, 5, and 6th grade years with no outside time and gym only twice a week inside. She is in 7th this year. She says they allow them to sit in the bleachers 3 times a week and either participate in something physical or not... they choose. We never had a choice and gym was everyday.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
You can't expect your kids exersize to come from school. The school is not responsible for letting them get exersize no matter what they say.

You have to plan their diets, and teach them healthy habbits, so they grow faster, stronger, and smarter.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

But if you take into account the lack of obesity in previous generations, one factor was the fact that we did a lot of exercise at school.
Maybe not so much in high school but in what we call primary school we did. Whether we liked it or not.
You had to have a note from your parents and a good excuse to get out of it.
Yeah, you might be able to get out of once or twice but unless you had an ongoing health complaint like Asthma, you pretty much had to do it.

When I was at school EVERYDAY after both little lunch and big lunch as we called it, we'd have assembly and there would be 10 minutes of fitness everyday, rain hail or shine. If it was raining, our teacher led the exercise when we got back to class.

So yes back then, school indeed did play a big part in kids exercise requirements.
How can you ignore it when a child spends so much time of their day there BY LAW?
Not to mention that we had things like basketball hoops, monkey bars for climbing as well as other things to play on before school and during lunch.

I got more exercise and activity at school than I ever did at home. By the time I got home, I was exhausted.

The teachers also took care of a lot of discipline with the cane and corporal punishment as well.
Parents didn't have much responsibility back then once their kids started school.
About the only thing they did have a say in is what their kids ate and what was brought to school in the kids lunchboxes.

I think some people here are either too young to know what it was really like back then or have totally forgotten.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
double post
edit on 2-1-2011 by fordrew because: (no reason given)

link   
affecting*

link   

Sadly I can\'t even leave her complete academic education to the schools either. Fortunately you and I know this. How many others either do not care or don\'t pay attention. We can\'t just assume they are getting the same workouts and exercise we got decades ago.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

YES!!! Finally someone who remembers it like I do. Some days it was brutal. It didn't matter how bone chilling cold it got or how hot. You were going to participate. Funny thing is, I also don't recall many complaints. Hmmmmm....

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Very good overview v1rtu0s0.

Have been working on an obesity piece too - the one thing you may have overlooked is that it's an Obesity Pandemic - it's world wide.

And studies show that diet and lifestyle do NOT explain it's rapid spread around the world.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

You might also remember that there was no use complaining really cause you'd cop detention if you did.

And this was a public school too, not private. Boy has it all changed!

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I agree sedentary lifestyle is a factor, but it's more of a symptom of not having motivation, and this is mainly caused by eating foods that make you feel sick and tired.

You may have done alot of exersize, but your body stepped up and increased your metabolism and caused you to eat more to meet this demands. If someone does less and eat less, they would have weighed the same as you. It's the first law of thermodynamics.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Like i said in a previous post. If you exersize less, but also eat less, you will balance out. You don't need so much exersize, it's all about the caloric intake.

The problem is food is so accesible and availible in compact bank for your buck quantities.

In the future we will starve, not because we eat too little but because our foods have zero nutrition. We will starve from malnurishment literally.

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe

Sadly I can\'t even leave her complete academic education to the schools either. Fortunately you and I know this. How many others either do not care or don\'t pay attention. We can\'t just assume they are getting the same workouts and exercise we got decades ago.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

Detention after the teacher beat your hind end. And another worse whipping when you got home and mom found out you embarrassed her! lol

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Thanks, soficow. I look forward to your analysis. Mine was a bit of a brief observation with current event attached to it.

I agree that pandemic is true, but it's more relevant for 1st world countries.

I believe the diet does influence this for the most part.

Originally posted by soficrow

Very good overview v1rtu0s0.

Have been working on an obesity piece too - the one thing you may have overlooked is that it's an Obesity Pandemic - it's world wide.

And studies show that diet and lifestyle do NOT explain it's rapid spread around the world.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

I totally agree with that.

But I think the difference with previous generations was that fitness and exercise was drummed into us from our first year of school. It did establish healthy patterns from a young age, as it was compulsory in the formative years.
My parents didn't really have anything to do with that part of it.
It was definately something that began at, was supported by and kept up over the years by the education department who put value on it.

The Sword..
High Fructose Corn Syrup and Aspartame are two of the culprits.

I'm sure there are more.

I can't stand to watch kids gobble down large cokes from McDs along with their corn-fed burgers. Cows weren't meant to digest corn but we shovel tons of the GM corn into their gullets.

The corn industry in the U.S is to blame for many of the health woes. If not for wasteful government subsidies and short-sighted nutrition, HFCS would never have gotten to where it is now.

Maybe with the new trade laws with America, a lot of that food is now being distributed world wide.
We get a lot of products from America these days, more so than before the Fair Trade Agreement that was signed just a few years ago. And strangely enough, Australia too is just catching up with the Obesity pandemic.

For it to be affecting 9 month olds, it says to me that maybe they are putting this stuff in jars of baby food and who knows maybe even milk formula?
It would be interesting to find out what exactly is in it.

edit on 2-1-2011 by Flighty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
The food supply definitely is messed up. Personally, I'd rather grow and catch my own. You might be interested in this documentary. It's called King Corn

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Thanks for the reply!

I agree about growing your own, but the new food "safety" bill will "protect" you from doing that. I'll make sure to check this out.

Originally posted by Skid Mark
The food supply definitely is messed up. Personally, I'd rather grow and catch my own. You might be interested in this documentary. It's called King Corn

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I think fitness is being drummed more than ever, it's just there are too many distractions. There are way more movies, and games, and it's much easier to be sedentary.

The habbit forming is critical. It has to be done at an early age, because later on will be much harder.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
I think we need to take a step back and re-educate the populace on what and how much is healthy for our children. You don't need to breast feed AND bottle feed your baby.

That's a ridiculous statement to make. Can I ask where you got the idea that women breast feed AND bottle feed their babies? Women will either stick to one or the other, and the only instance I could think of where a woman would include bottle feeds when exclusively breastfeeding their baby is if they're not producing enough milk to keep up with the baby's needs. How this would cause infant obesity though is way beyond me. You can't feed a baby too much milk, a baby will take as much as it needs and no more.

You can however, when weaning begins, feed an infant the wrong foods. That's where obesity begins!

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
Well lets start with the basics,.
preborn-Mom eats,. baby eats also,.
If mom is shoveling all crap in, then the same will exit,. much absorbed by the infant.

No, this doesn't happen. The baby, whilst in the womb, will take no more than the nutrients it needs. If a pregnant woman eats too much, the fat will go to her backside, not the baby's.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I was mainly pointing out what was said in the article. Obviously there is nothing wrong with supplementing, but overfeeding is like loving the baby to death... literallly.

Originally posted by KatieVA
That's a ridiculous statement to make. Can I ask where you got the idea that women breast feed AND bottle feed their babies? Women will either stick to one or the other, and the only instance I could think of where a woman would include bottle feeds when exclusively breastfeeding their baby is if they're not producing enough milk to keep up with the baby's needs. How this would cause infant obesity though is way beyond me. You can't feed a baby too much milk, a baby will take as much as it needs and no more.

You can however, when weaning begins, feed an infant the wrong foods. That's where obesity begins!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join