It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obesity Epidemic: Now effecting infants

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
CDC: One-third of 9-month-olds now overight or obese

That's right EVERYONE, this epidemic is effecting even 9-month old INFANTS.

I think we need to take a step back and re-educate the populace on what and how much is healthy for our children. You don't need to breast feed AND bottle feed your baby.

We need to EVALUATE and IDENTIFY the root causes of obesity. Our food supply is designed to produce QUANTITY, but because it lacks nutrition, it's not QUALITY.

It's clear that chemicals and additives in our foods are causing disease and hormonal imbalances. It's clear that corporations who profit from food sales put PROFITS first and SAFTEY last. It's clear that the PEOPLE need to wake up from their slumber and DO SOMETHING about this NOW!

By the way, this is even spreading to ANIMALS:

planetgreen.discovery.com...

For your viewing pleasure:

The Dangers of Aspertame.

Food Fascism.

Why are thin people not fat.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Personally, I think that people need to calm down. The vast majority of little kids that I've known were little butterballs in infancy and their toddler years, and then they turned out to be perfectly normal by age six or seven. Is Jenny Craig going to start marketing to the diaper wearing crowd now?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Thanks for the comment.

Quite honestly, we are not designed to have more excess fat than we are supposed to have. Babies have "baby" fat, but they are supposed to have a certain amount.

In any case, this epidemic is growing. The solution begins with education. The problem is corporate profiteers.

Originally posted by gnosticquasar
Personally, I think that people need to calm down. The vast majority of little kids that I've known were little butterballs in infancy and their toddler years, and then they turned out to be perfectly normal by age six or seven. Is Jenny Craig going to start marketing to the diaper wearing crowd now?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
My wife and I have talked about this often,so many fat children.
My boy went to a city school for the first 3 years, 1 in 10 kids were fat/obese, i actually counted them.
One extremely fat kid about 6 yrs old,could hardly walk,let alone breath while walking past eating potato chips,yes he is only a kid but it is disgusting to see a child like that,mum and dad need a slap to wake em up.
Children would rather sit on their now fat butts playing xbox eating chips and drinking coke instead of going out and riding a bike,play at the playground etc.Childrens playtime has changed a lot since i was a kid.
We put it down to simply bad food supplied by the parent,and them not being as active as children were 20yrs ago.
If a child is fat the parent is to blame.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Parents need to take responsibility.

If your kid is obese, do something about it. It's called tough love.

These habbits that children have are behavoirs learned at an early age. The constant influx of advertisements and entertainment shapes their perspective on the world.

Originally posted by iceblue20-12
My wife and I have talked about this often,so many fat children.
My boy went to a city school for the first 3 years, 1 in 10 kids were fat/obese, i actually counted them.
One extremely fat kid about 6 yrs old,could hardly walk,let alone breath while walking past eating potato chips,yes he is only a kid but it is disgusting to see a child like that,mum and dad need a slap to wake em up.
Children would rather sit on their now fat butts playing xbox eating chips and drinking coke instead of going out and riding a bike,play at the playground etc.Childrens playtime has changed a lot since i was a kid.
We put it down to simply bad food supplied by the parent,and them not being as active as children were 20yrs ago.
If a child is fat the parent is to blame.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Well lets start with the basics,.
preborn-Mom eats,. baby eats also,.
If mom is shoveling all crap in, then the same will exit,. much absorbed by the infant.

So much of the foods today have high sugar counts,.
also the Soy intake is goin through the roof,. just look at the labels,.
I am gonna say this will cause a drop in male numbers or just an increase in gay males.
We really dont fully know the effects of soy yet,. but my bets are it will not be beneficial.

I dont think it is just a baby epidemic.. look around

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
This is ridiculous. Parents quit over indulging your children! I am aware that there is a small amount of our population that is overweight because of other medical issues but come on. Really?

If you are atleast over 30 and now have children in school you can not honestly tell me that that there are not a ton (no pun intended) more overweight children now than there was when you went to school. This is not baby fat when the child is in later grades.

See the mother that sued McD's over toys in happy meals because it made her child beg for them is part of the problem. She should be sued for the fact that she obviously lacks the judgement or the will to say NO.

It is the responsibility of every parent to watch what their child is eating. My daughter is learning in school that this is the first generation that is not expected to outlive their parents. That is how bad this epedimic is.

And FWIW, my husband is a large man. His whole family is large. I am tiny as is my family. It has been a constant battle for me to make sure my daughter does not become accustomed to eating just to eat.
edit on 2-1-2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Parents do need to take responsibility - I have seen first hand in my family how the children get obese. First of all Mom is overweight (sometimes Dad as well) and if you look at her Mom she is also obese. Mom eats and eats at the table and pours spoonful after spoonful into the kids mouths.I have even heard Mom tell her overweight 3 year old you have to eat to grow up and be big, omg, I almost fell off my chair with this one. They live for the next meal and the children in tow take on this same tradition. My Mom was thin as I am, it skips generations sometimes and I think I eat somewhat healthy even tho I am prone to eat sweets at times. I sit on my sofa in the afternoon and watch the preteen kids walk home from the bus stop. I counted 10 one, 3 were obese and 5 were overweight. Wake up people there is more to life than food!

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0

These habbits that children have are behavoirs learned at an early age. The constant influx of advertisements and entertainment shapes their perspective on the world.

Yet another post claiming overweight people are just weak. I hear this a lot - people think it's just as simple as take in less and exercise more. Not true at all. Do you really think infants are eating pints of ice cream and skipping their yoga class?

If you look at France, their diet is very high in fat and formal exercise is rarely done - and most people aren’t obese.

It’s something else going on most likely additives in the food or perhaps a virus.

Part of it for older might also be a lack of exercise but you really can’t blame that on parents. It's not so much as learned habits as they way society has pushed people into acting. You CAN NOT let your kid run around and play in the neighborhood. There are no corner stores you can walk to. With so many working mothers, there isn't time for a lot of clubs or after school activities.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

It is a difficult to observe,.
just this morning I was at Perkins and watched a family sit down to a serious overindulgence of breakfast,.
while I at my two eggs. hashbrowns and fruit,.I watched one child( not so small ) eat a plate stack of 4 pancakes with whippd cream, sizable amount of scrambles eggs, about 3 links of saugage, and hashbrowns,. and a class of chocolate milk.

I was astounded.
each of the other members ate comparable

edit on 2-1-2011 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

You said you are healthy (which I think is your way of saying you are thin?) even though you eat sweets?

This SHOULD tell you something - it's not all about the eating habits.

I had a niece who was stick thin up until 11. She became very ill and had to take oral steriods for six months. Within three months she became very overweight. She couldn't stop eating. The doctor warned us this would happen and said it would be cruel to try to prevent her from eating too much.

After she stopped taking the pills, she slimed down but always kept the weight around her waist.

Steriods are in so much meat and milk, I often wonder if the build up of these chemicals doesn't have a lot to do with the current weight problem.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Daughter2

The infants are not eating pints of ice cream or missing yoga.... A lot of times their parents are shoving a bottle or breast in their mouth every time they whimper.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
It's not just about fat and exersize. Actually it's not about that at all.

It's about hormonal imbalances caused by improper macronutrient ratio's, and chemicals in our food. It's caused by the failing food supply system where things are turning into plastic foods.

Originally posted by Daughter2

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0

Yet another post claiming overweight people are just weak. I hear this a lot - people think it's just as simple as take in less and exercise more. Not true at all. Do you really think infants are eating pints of ice cream and skipping their yoga class?

If you look at France, their diet is very high in fat and formal exercise is rarely done - and most people aren’t obese.

edit on 2-1-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe

The infants are not eating pints of ice cream or missing yoga.... A lot of times their parents are shoving a bottle or breast in their mouth every time they whimper.

This is how you are SUPPOSED to feed babies. On demand nursing is very common. Actually, giving bottles as specific times is (or was) only popular in the US.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

When I said whimper, it encompassed any sound. Being a mother I fed my children when they were hungry. Not when they needed actual attention. All too often I see babies being fed because the parents are too busy to gift the child with any other form of mental stimulation.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by iceblue20-12

I agree that a lot of kids play XBox but you are also talking about the generation who are the most busiest.
With soccer practice, ballet, dance class and a whole truckload of other activities that kids do these days, I find the old XBox thing a bit too simplistic.
There is more going on here than just eating too much and playing XBox all day.
Especially when you consider that kids are at school and a lot of kids at after school care most of the day.
The time they spend at home is minimal. So unless kids no longer get the same amount of activity at school as we used to, then taking into account all the other stuff they do, it still doesn't equate with this obesity epidemic.
There is something being put in a lot of everyday food that is causing this.
And unless it's brought out into the open and something is done about it soon, the following generations are going to get bigger and bigger.

edit on 2-1-2011 by Flighty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

That and some people have hereditary glandular problems. I have a poorly-functioning thyroid that I've been trying to restore with medication and watching what I eat.

Funny because until I found out about this, my doctor was constantly berating me for being overweight and once he found out, he went into apology mode. LOL.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

High Fructose Corn Syrup and Aspartame are two of the culprits.

I'm sure there are more.

I can't stand to watch kids gobble down large cokes from McDs along with their corn-fed burgers. Cows weren't meant to digest corn but we shovel tons of the GM corn into their gullets.

The corn industry in the U.S is to blame for many of the health woes. If not for wasteful government subsidies and short-sighted nutrition, HFCS would never have gotten to where it is now.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
These are not always herediatry.

Case-in-point: Flouride in our dirnking water supply depeletes iodine in the body. Iodine is used to create T4/T3/TSH which are the thyroid hormones. The thyroid controls your metabolic rate which determines how optimally your body can burn energy.

Also, spiking childrens insulin levels constantly causes insulin sensitivity, so any little bit of glucose will release the storage hormone and store Free Fatty Acids in the blood stream even if they have a small snack.

Hormone imbalances due to our diets.

Originally posted by The Sword

That and some people have hereditary glandular problems. I have a poorly-functioning thyroid that I've been trying to restore with medication and watching what I eat.

Funny because until I found out about this, my doctor was constantly berating me for being overweight and once he found out, he went into apology mode. LOL.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Good point. It's essentially class warfare. If you can't afford not to eat cheap food, then you have to consume these chemical and GMO's.

While the rich can enjoy organic fresh foods.

Keep in mind monsanto is pushing the GMO's on the poor part of the world and our population.

Corporations profit off of these chemicals, and won't stop using them until we do something to change it.

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by Flighty

High Fructose Corn Syrup and Aspartame are two of the culprits.

I'm sure there are more.

I can't stand to watch kids gobble down large cokes from McDs along with their corn-fed burgers. Cows weren't meant to digest corn but we shovel tons of the GM corn into their gullets.

The corn industry in the U.S is to blame for many of the health woes. If not for wasteful government subsidies and short-sighted nutrition, HFCS would never have gotten to where it is now.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join