It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What can you tell me about Greece?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Greek things have been resonating heavily with me over the last couple weeks.

I want to hear your thoughts and opinions on Greece and its peoples, culture, mythology, etc, and what about it resonates with you.

Your input is highly appreciated and I welcome your presence in my thread, as long as your intentions are good and educational.

I feel as if Greekness somehow plays a part in future events in my life, and so yeah....

I want to learn more about this intriguing place and culture.

Thank you.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
A cool fact about greece:

They found a thousand year old computer off the island of antikythera:

Recently they re-created it with legos:

S and F.
edit on 2-1-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Hello

Although i am not as frequent to ATS as i have been in the past, i will try and play my role in helping you finf what you seek.

Kinda hard to communicate that over a keyboard but i will try when i stop by

Wish you could just take a trip over and visit the country for some time. Would give you much more insight if open eyed and minded.

However i guess thats out of question for just now so i ll try to do my best along with others.

Please give some indication on what you seek

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
We can thank Greece for Sophist philosophy.

The Sophist will live forever through the legal system.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by GEORGETHEGREEK

How awesome! An actual Greek!

LOL

Well, to be honest, I recently met this Greek female who has like really been striking a chord with me...

We shared a really special moment on New Year's, and I am going to see her again tonight.

I want to learn about her culture and cool Greek stuff. I already had a nice guy help me with a couple greek phrases to say to her, but if you have a couple to share as well, that would be awesome.

Basically, once she spoke to me in Greek, something inside of me reawakened... It's like there is something about Greek that my soul is urging me to relearn or re-enter into my life....

Yeah.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Greece is a lovely country, though troubled by economic strife at this time. I lived there for 3 summers back in the early 80's. I lived just outside of Glifada on the coast near Athens. I can tell you the people I met were wonderful. There is a small cove I think it would be south of Glifada that we would pull the car over just before the small bridge, walk down to the water, put some wine in a nook, swim, jump off the small cliff (40 feet I think), and lay on the large rocks in the water. You can't pick a better place to get away for the day.

I love Greek food, and make souvlaki very frequently. Make sure you try some if you go. The Parthenon is nice, but too crowded imho. I prefer the out of the way places, like the small building up on the hill above my home in Terpsithea. It's been years since I was there, but it's well worth the trip!

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SolarE-Souljah

Well, to be honest, I recently met this Greek female who has like really been striking a chord with me...

Yup, greek girls they'll do that ... they'll also pull you over a cliff if they can't push ya, in the process redefining spite.

But ask away S, and us Hellenes will try to assist you in your quest.

edit on 2 Jan 2011 by schrodingers dog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Well I guess a start would be some conversational topics to talk to the greek girl about.

I want to have a basic knowledge, then hopefully she can elaborate and discuss them with me.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I haven't been to mainland Greece but I have been to Crete a few times.
en.wikipedia.org...

There are good and bad everywhere but generalising I would have to say that it's my experience and opinion that Greeks are among the nicest people in the world.

They are a hard working people who also recognise the importance of relaxation and enjoyment.
They are family orientated, loyal and resolute.

If you take the time to learn something of their history and culture then you will make friends for life.

Edit to add:

Forgot to say....cross them then you've made an enemy for life.

edit on 2/1/11 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

lol, are you asking us how to impress a greek girl?
Even greeks don't know how to do that.

Just ask her what you want to know about Greek history and culture ... I mean I'm happy to try to answer any specific questions about Greece, but you certainly don't want to be taking relationship advice from me.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Very true.

Okay. well, just in general, I find Greece to be highly resonant with me.

Okay, how about we start with this. What are your opinions on their mythology? Their gods?

That's a good start.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

I want to learn more about this intriguing place and culture.

Well, since i am Greek i will be happy to help if you have questions. Here are 2 links that might you find interesting.

1. Greek mythology

2. Greece, Greek Food and Cuisine

Peace

top topics

join