It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ear pain from wine? Does anybody else get this?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Hi and Happy New Year everybody!
I've had a problem when drinking wine recently.
Even after a few sips my ears and upper jaws start hurting really bad.
The best way to explain it would be compare it to skull pains some people get on planes.

The strange thing is that it happens sometimes after a sip or two, and at other times it doesn't happen at all.
One friend told me it might be my wisdom teeth, but I never have other problems.

The only other place I've read it on the web was some answer forum.www.steadyhealth.com...

A recurring answer is that it is caused by a lack of Vitamin C.
But how can this be?
I've tried the Vitamin C "cure", and it seems to work.
The only unpleasant thing is the flavor of the sweets.
Is this a placebo?
To put it more bluntly, Vitamin C works for many people, but no doctor (assuming they've even heard of this) can tell you why.
The older people think I'm nuts.
Could it be some new additive in the wine?

I love my dry white wine, and I've never had the annoying pain with beer or alco-pops.
Somebody please help!!!
edit on 2-1-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Wine's good in Europe.

What wine do you drink?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
you need to do some type of allergy test to try and single out what could be causing this.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

If I drink too much, one of my cheeks really starts to hurt. That could be from getting slapped by a young lady for getting a little too frisky tho.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Never drink wine and never will, t-total and always will be.

Why do you people like it anywy?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I love Mulled wine and sweet wines. And don't say that they are not tasty!
^__^

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Wow you too huh? I've been getting that my whole life, doesn't happen too often...here's my theory on the cause;

The pain is very similar to flying in a plane and not having any gum to chew to pop your ears

I figure, wine can elevate your blood pressure, and I'd imagine if any get into your Eustachian tubes (tiny tubes connecting the ear canal to the mouth) they can get irritated and swell. this can cause a pressure differential inside the tubes, causing the same phenomenon as flying at high altitudes.

What sometimes works....plug your nose, SLOWLY and GENTLY build up the pressure by trying to basically blow out your nose while it's plugged. eventually you'll get a slight 'popping' sensation, this often relieves the pressure.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by archasama
reply to post by andy1033

I love Mulled wine and sweet wines. And don't say that they are not tasty!
^__^

I have no clue on wine, only tasted it once at school, and did not like it. So i could not answer if they are nice or not.

T-total and will be forever.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
lymphoma... serious, one symptom is pain in/near lymph nodes upon consumption of alcohol.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Hate to give you bad news. But I has something similar some years back. Long story short. I needed a to get a root canal. Yours may not be a serious but a very large amount of headaches and earaches are caused by hidden tooth problems. The next time it happens push your tongue on your gums just where it meets the tooth, one tooth at a time. See if the there is a place where pushing the tongue stops the pain. If it does then you have a tooth problem. If this is the case you might want to try this on another thread.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
funny you should mention this....but im a white wine drinker have been for around 3 years now, and never have a problem....i changed from bacardi to wine cuz bacardi gave me a hangover but wine didnt....a week b4 christmas i went out with friends and had 4 large glasses of wine....i had a migraine for almost 4 days afterwards....which is unusual...so much so that on christmas day i had just the one glass of wine....and my head started aching....

needless to say i didnt drink anymore and havent since....just odd

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Possibly something to do with Sinus. Only saying that because you state similar to pain people get whilst flying ..... Only a Doc could tell you for sure!

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

edit on 2-1-2011 by phatpackage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by archasama

Wine's good in Europe.

What wine do you drink?

The Western Cape in SA is a renowned wine growing region.
So even the cheaper stuff is quite good.
Any dry white (low in calories) is nice.
Drosdy Hof, Versus, Four Cousins or Two Oceans are good.

There's a big debate about sulphites in wine, but apparently they are in all non-organic export wines.
I wonder - could it be the temperature?
edit on 2-1-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Alcohol swells the inner ear.

You may also have allergy or sinus problems. Both of which will be exacerbated by wine. Wine is full of Sulfites, even the high end stuff, ages it faster and acts as a preservative.

Sulfites are highly allergic to some - esp. those with "hayfever" type allergies. For people with Asthma - Sulfites can trigger a full blown attack that might kill you.

It might be the wine. Switch to beer is my advice. And read up on the thoughts I posited here - plenty of info on the net regarding wine and allergic reactions.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whiffer Nippets
Alcohol swells the inner ear.

What do you base that statment on?

I've never heard of this.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by justsaying

I have alot of sinus problems and some doc told me that somewhere along the line.

I've seen related info elsewhere, looking for "sinus remedies". IMO this is pretty much 'common knowledge'.

ETA - To - to the OP and others - please research yourself - alcohol, allergies, sinus effects, etc.

Also - booze these days is FULL of weird chemicals - which they are NOT required to label - they only have to label the Sulfites because those can literally KILL YOU - but otherwise - there are NO ingredients listed. Go look.

The OP could be having an allergic reaction to Jah knows *what*. The consumer has NO IDEA what it is in these products.

Read more on your own. Its quite simple, just Google Booze and Allergies or Booze and Additives - there's too much info to even list.

edit on 2-1-2011 by Whiffer Nippets because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Sounds strange. I don't drink wine so I have never had that experience. I did not read all the posts, so my main question would be whether or not you get pain in your ear when drinking other substances, the ear and throat (I probably have wrong terminology) are linked, so it is easier to think about if you get pain in the ear when drinking (could be pressure related?). But if only when drinking wine, IDK, absolutely strange if you ask me. Unless if it is after, so your ear is just getting sore because your drunk, or the ear is getting drunk

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Personally, I think it may be related to the sulfur we add during making white wine - this is a global thing and an accepted part of the wine making process.

Wine itself is actually very high in Vit C.

I'm really curious now. I make wine and want to find out why any white wine would make you feel this way.

Do reds effect you this way?

The consumer has NO IDEA what it is in these products.

Grape juice, egg whites, sulfur, and yest (if a wild ferment) That should be all that's in it. If it's good

Also - booze these days is FULL of weird chemicals - which they are NOT required to label - they only have to label the Sulfites because those can literally KILL YOU - but otherwise - there are NO ingredients listed. Go look.

From personal experience (5+ years) That's because we don't add anything else. Although I won't vouch for anything made outside of the Margaret River, WA.

Cheers
Shane

edit on 4-1-2011 by shamus78 because: added more stuff

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by shamus78

After a few days of observing I'm still at a loss of explaining the phenomenon.
My teeth are fine (never even had a filling in my life). No swollen glands or nodes or anything.
I don't drink red wine at all, so I cannot say, but I think some other testimony in my first link may be more helpful.
The Vitamin C sweets seem to help, but I cannot explain why.
Holding my nose and blowing does nothing.
We actually saw a woman last week covering her ears in pain after drinking wine.
So it definitely is affecting a number of individuals.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join