It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR:Filipino reported seized in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   

A Filipino has reportedly been abducted by an Iraqi group called- the Khaled bin al-Waleed corps which has threatened to kill him unless the Philippines withdraws its forces within 72 hours. Arabic broadcaster Al Jazeera showed a video of three gunmen and a man dressed in an orange jumpsuit kneeling in front of them. Its also reported that the group has killed the Iraqi security guard accompanying the Filipino. The kidnapped man is said to be employed by a Saudi Arabian company working with US force

BBc News

The video warned that he would be killed unless the Philippines withdrew its troops within 72 hours. If confirmed, the seizure of the Philippines national would be the latest in a spate of kidnappings of foreigners in Iraq.

Behind them was a banner that said the group's name was the Iraqi Islamic Army - the Khaled bin al-Waleed corps. It has not been heard of previously. The Associated Press news agency reports that the videotape displayed the hostage's Philippines identity card, which gave his name as Hafidh Amer, suggesting he may be a Muslim.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Looks like they have taken this guy has been taken hostage to me and with him wearing an orange jump suite he could be the next person the be beheaded. There is no way this is going to make the Philippino troops leave I think it willl make them even more determined to stay.

[edit on 5/8/2004 by SE7EN]

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   
What's the size of the Philipino deployment out there?
I'm assuming he's Christian, as most Philipinos are... He'll be dead within a month.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   
In the bbc link it says "Philippines identity card, which gave his name as Hafidh Amer, suggesting he may be a Muslim."
so he could be in with a chance at least. on the troop side i dont know about that one id have a guess at a thousand or so.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
That's the BBC being ignorant...
Most Philipinos (out of first hand experience) are Christian...
The country itself is, I'm 99% sure, majority Christian..
well with any luck he is a Muslim and might be able to live through this ordeal

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
He could have converted his religion im going to try and find out how many troops they have out there any help would be cool aswell

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   
here;
Source

They have all of 51 soldiers out there lol

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
A special Iraq team of diplomats was continuing to monitor the security of some 3,000 civilian Filipino workers in Iraq, he said there are also 51 Filipino troops serving with occupation forces dont know if they have steped up the troops size but 50 odd troops seems to be a bit small to be in iraq.

Maybe they shouls train the civilian works to be in the army that way they have more troops something aint right if you have more workers than troops. ?
Link

[edit on 7-7-2004 by SE7EN]

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
they'll probably bump the troops out for a few weeks to get him back then move them back in lol

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by browha
That's the BBC being ignorant...
Most Philipinos (out of first hand experience) are Christian...
The country itself is, I'm 99% sure, majority Christian..
well with any luck he is a Muslim and might be able to live through this ordeal

Actually that is so not true. There is a large Muslim population in the Philipines, esp in the south.

Ok I am editing this post, I thought it was a larger percent, but the Muslim population is at 5% in that country.
www.fact-index.com...

[Edited on 7-7-2004 by Narnia]

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 01:59 AM
link   

There is a large Muslim population in the Philipines, esp in the south.

yup theyre mostly in the south, however the guys are also responsible for a spate of bombings in manila/makati.

last time i was there a few years back, there were metal detector posts everywhere. youd have to go thru one to get into the mall, the hotel, the office. that was an experience.

[Edited on 8/7/04 by agent]

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I guess they have nothing better to do than pick on these lttle countries.....

Q

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 03:15 AM
link   
OK...add that one to the list of preferred targets.

-Engineers
-Truck Drivers
-Translators
-Journalists

--Countries who have small, token deployments which could be removed from the country in one busload.

My, these terrorists are some manly men, indeed!

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Follow up=
Here

top topics

join