It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got to Test our Water Reserves and Solar Pump

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Here in the mountains of the Southwest, we've had quite a storm with LOTS of snow and freezing temperatures. We're on a well, and a few years ago we converted it to a solar pump. Boy are we glad we did! The freeze busted some pipes and our electric pump (that pumps the water from the pump house up to our house) But thanks to our planning, we had lots of water stored. Well, this morning, we ran out of stored water, so we are able to use the solar pump and fill up the storage tanks. We have to go outside to get water, but that's not a problem.

It was a good test of our water reserve situation and it worked great so far. Today's high is going to be 35, but we're looking at 45 tomorrow. Whew! A heat wave! It's been in the single digits here at night and we're freezing!

Thread on Our Solar Pump

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
is it a submerged pump and how long can you run the pump on batteries if there is no sun? how sensitive of a unit is it?
I myself am on a well 250', 150' at the pump 1/4 hp. what size is the pump?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by anumohi
is it a submerged pump and how long can you run the pump on batteries if there is no sun? how sensitive of a unit is it?
I myself am on a well 250', 150' at the pump 1/4 hp. what size is the pump?

Yes, it is submerged. There are no batteries. The panel drives the pump directly and fills the storage tanks. All other information is in the thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

There's a drawing and explanation of how the system works on page 2 of that thread.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
S & F!

That is a sweeeeeeeeet system you guys have there. All the food in the world is no good if you don't have water, and you've definitely secured that item. Cool!

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Nice system!

I am trying to do something similar, but my well pump is under a canopy of large trees. I am going to have to erect solar panels on the roof of the house and tie the existing electric lines into them.

Sorry for your cold weather. Is that normal for the SW? I didn't think it ever got freezing down there. We have had an especially cold winter in Florida as well, but this weekend was in the 70s finally!

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
Sorry for your cold weather. Is that normal for the SW?

We're at 6000 feet, so we do get cold and snow in the winter, but this is the most extreme we've had since we got here in 1999. It's going to get up to 45 today, which is more normal.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Explanation: S&F! Amazing & Awesome!!!

Personal Disclosure: Saw this thread from chat and had it open all day in its own browser by itself... then I got very busy... and then I remembered and so I apologize for this belated post as I had intended to post way earlier! :bnghd:
Congratulations BH and Bumped for Justice!

new topics

top topics

join