It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can God and Evolution co-exist???

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
In my mind NO. I believe in a six day creation and the whole Bible account.
I know that is not a popular belief but it is mine none the less.

here are a few quotes and a link to see all quotes and more discusing creation and evolution.

"The creation account in Genesis and the theory of evolution could not be reconciled. One must be right and the other wrong. The story of the fossils agreed with the account of Genesis. In the oldest rocks we did not find a series of fossils covering the gradual changes from the most primitive creatures to developed forms, but rather in the oldest rocks developed species suddenly appeared. Between every species there was a complete absence of intermediate fossils."?*D.B. Gower, "Scientist Rejects Evolution," Kentish *****, England, December 11, 1975, p. 4 [biochemist].

"As by this theory, innumerable transitional forms must have existed. Why do we not find them embedded in the crust of the earth? Why is not all nature in confusion [of halfway species] instead of being, as we see them, well-defined species?"?*Charles Darwin, quoted in H. Enoch, Evolution or Creation (1966), p. 139

www.drdino.com...

I do hope you can find what you are looking for

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
God is what is causing evolution, he controls the evolution, he is the one who is desigining. Yes evolution exists but it is under his control.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I believe plants and animals may evolve, but I do not believe that humans have evolved from animals. Humans are not animals, we were created in the image of God. God is eternal, and so humans have an eternal soul. Animals do not have an eternal soul.

[edit on 26-7-2004 by Mountain Man]

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Can God and evolution co-exist? You betcha! Read this account from the Urantia Book.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Forgive me, since Ive been drinking, and this may ramble on, but whatever

A little while ago I read the Anne Rice book, Memnoch the Devil, and it was a pretty interesting book. It talked about creation, etc. god created "us" but we evolved and whatnot, and we were more or less an experiment? Correct me if Im wrong, but for some reason that is what I am remembering. So in that case, yes, god and evolution could co-exist. Who is to say god didnt create us and bacteria or whatever we were and let us go to see what we would turn out to be.
Also another interesting this is in one of my college classes, my astronomy professor was talking about god and the big bang, and how christians should believe more in the big bang than they claim, since it had to have been "created" from somewhere.. Forgive me, like I said Ive been drinking and I am not doing justice to how he explained it, but at the time it made sense. Whos to say god didnt just create the big bang and let everything go on its own and see how it goes. I personally dont believe in god, but I enjoy talking about different aspects of religion.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   

trueminatti
But the problem is that evolution firmly states that there cannot be intelligent design. Our existence came to be by pure chance and the bible no matter how you look at it, states God created us intentionally

Intelligent Design is a non-scientific idea, and is used to justify a type of creationism. Evolution and Creationism are incompatible, in so far as there is no 'creationism' that is scientific; its all faith based. Evolution and beleif in god, however, are completely unrelated to one another, so why worry about whether they are 'compatible'. In a way, its like asking if chess and tetris can coexist. Beleif in God is a position of -faith-. Its not something that anyone needs reasons or experimental data to support. An understanding of evolution is merely an understanding of a scientific theory. Does the theory of gravity need to be 'squared' with a beleif in god? Or does quantum mechanics have to be compared to bible passages? No, of course not.

Originally posted by gfs4731
In my mind NO. I believe in a six day creation and the whole Bible account.

Which account? There are two different creation accounts in the bible.

[qoute]"The creation account in Genesis and the theory of evolution could not be reconciled. One must be right and the other wrong. The story of the fossils agreed with the account of Genesis. In the oldest rocks we did not find a series of fossils covering the gradual changes from the most primitive creatures to developed forms, but rather in the oldest rocks developed species suddenly appeared. Between every species there was a complete absence of intermediate fossils."

This is entirely and completely untrue. In the earliest fossil bearing strata one finds extremely primitive organisms. In higher levels one find more complex organisms, and int between one finds excelelnt transitional species and types. To suggest that there are no transitional fossils is to ignore the obvious transitional fossils that exist. And why wouldn't the most primitive organisms found infact be 'fully developed species' (but still extremely primitive) species? How primitive do these ancient fossils need to be before they are primitive enough?

"As by this theory, innumerable transitional forms must have existed. Why do we not find them embedded in the crust of the earth? Why is not all nature in confusion [of halfway species] instead of being, as we see them, well-defined species?"?*Charles Darwin, quoted in H. Enoch, Evolution or Creation (1966), p. 139

Well thats rather cute. Are you suggesting that darwin didn't beleive in his own theory then? When darwin first proposed his theory the study of the fossil record was in its infancy. Its true, in his own time, scientists didn't have the same wealth of fossils as now. But even then the paucity of the poorly known fossil record was not sufficient reason to reject the logic of darwin's theory of natural selection. Furthermore, since that time there hasn't been any arguement sufficient to do that either.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
forgive me if this was pointed out, but creation is an event, evolution is a process. They can, and do coexist, IMO.

You and I are the most evolved humans ever !

the conflict is in the bible, garden of eden etc. The garden of eden idea means we all literally share the same bloodlines, and the idea that 3 billion (is it 5 ?) humans can be born in a few thousand years from 2 original "parents" is hard to justify mathematically.

I take the bible much more on a allegorical level, not literal. thats just me...

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
A freind of mine was at the pub with his dad, they were having a conversation about dinosaur fossils, there was another man sitting at the bar who is very christian, and overheard their conversation, he said to them " there was no such thing as dinosaurs, god put the fossils there to test our faith". Interesting point of veiw I suppose but not one I buy into.
I am not christian, I do however beleive in "something" and for the sake of this conversation I will call this something God.

What if god did not create us , but we created god? And I dont mean that we invented him to have something to beleive in, I mean that he is real and exsits but has evolved through the souls that have left the humans from earth to create a higher and more consiouse being, all of our ancestors who went to the next plane after having left their earthly bodies joining together in spirit, all of their knolwege and trials becoming one wholly learned entity to watch over, protect, and guide us.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by kastinyque
What if god did not create us , but we created god?

That is a belief system, although I don't remember which one... it basicaly goes like this:

With all our prayers and ieas, we have created God. And each person that believes in him makes him stronger.

It is almost the same thing as wish craft... believe in something hard enough, it will happen. Make it on a grander scale, we could very well be creating the gods we worship.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join