It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millions of Americans Are Heading to Foodbanks for the First Time in Their Lives

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by soficrow

Looks like they covered food with that 500 dollars in credit a month they are running up..

Just saying.

Nope - that $500 is for interest on the credit card debt they ran up before the "financial crisis," which got jacked up to 36% because they missed a few payments.

reply to post by DaMod

GREAT pic.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
The next step when we also start facing food shortages...Soylent Green!

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by illuminnaughty

Yeah, we all kill people all the time, then loot them like in a video game.. I have 12000 gold in my vault.
You F'ing moron.. The majority of Americans have never stuffed themselves with anything other than more hours at work so they can eat crappy food and buy gas to go back to work the next day. "Americans" don't deserve to suffer any more than anyone else. Stop drinking the coolaid....

Most Americans have no desire to "help" or hurt anyone else.. To be honest we'd like to get a fair shake in our nation first. We'd be happy to stop giving more charity than any other nation. We'd be happy to not send our soldiers to die for political agends OR the freedom of others. I can gurantee you it is not "Americans" that make these decisions, it is corporations and career politicians on the take. Most Americans would like nothing more than to see both of those powers be held accountable.

Your no better than what you atgue against if you can't wrap your head around that.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Fiberx

Standing ovation for that response... Jeez you would think the rest of the world would see we are no different then them for the most part, trying to stay alive, in shelter and feed our frikken families...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname

avoid paying as much taxes as possible.

Yeah, that'll help! Do you not give a toss about anyone else? Taxes fund schools, welfare for people with disabilities and are generally of great benefit to the poor (not the wealthy or the middle class whiners.)
Oops, I just realised that's true here, but probably not true of the USA.
I pity you.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaWhiz

Oh and most important, since you feel this way, we need to take back UNICEF, RED CROSS and any groups that help save, rescue, give free operations and food to other countries.

Since when were UNICEF and the Red Cross American institutions? What woeful ignorance...
Vicky

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I've read most of this thread and found the variety of points interesting.

So here are a couple of counter points & my opinion of why the food lines are growing......

-to those who say "sell the house" & move into an apartment. Well, that is easier said than done. With the housing market as it is right now, most homeowners in the middle class find they could not sell their home for what is still owed on it..(mortgage deficit) Then with credit checks at most decent apartment buildings, good luck renting if you have even the slightest ding on your credit report.

-to those who said stop paying on the credit cards, well, that bank will sue to get their money & with a judgement, they will go after your paycheck. Add in the new legal fee's the bank tacks on & you have a $1,000 credit card debt turning into $4-5,000.

IMO, the middle class family of several years ago live a decent life. They managed to pay their bills, maybe have a night out with the family once or twice a month & even had a little vacation once a year. They did okay & worked with what they had. They were never going to be rich, but they also never really had to worry about being able to met the basic needs of their family.

Fast forward to today. Many of those families are without incomes, or incomes cut in half by job loss. At first, they probably managed to tighten their spending enough to get by, but anything extra went away along with the small nestegg they managed to build. As time went on, taxes and prices continued to go up. The family cuts even more, hoping to make it through the economic downturn. They are wrong. The first time they are faced with a major car repair, home repair, the bottom drops for them & they can't seem to recover. Every month now they try to catch up when in reality, they are still sinking. It is a cycle they will be stuck in for years to come.

This is the problem IMO, the middle class family has felt a great deal of burden from this economic turmoil & the government has created a cycle that the middle class family can't break out of. The government keeps taking more money from them to cover the massive number of social programs for the poor and to throw money at problems with no real results. The problem with this is way of thinking is that eventually a point will come where the government will have taken so much that the middle class family will have nothing left to give. When that happens, they will be poor themselves & the number of people requiring the services of social programs grow higher, increasing the burden on a shrinking number of middle class families. Eventually, the cycle will end, but so will the middle class.

How do we fix it? The government needs to take a hard look at their budget just like the average American family. When we faced less income coming into the household, we adjusted our budget & eliminated things that were not essential. It is time that the government do the same. I won't get into the specifics of what cuts should be made because that would off topic, but it is high time the federal government learns what its true purpose is.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I wonder when we're going to start robbing, raping and killing each other en masse. I'm guessing around November/December we'll start to see spike...and by spring 2012 we will fully in Fallout 3 mode.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join