It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millions of Americans Are Heading to Foodbanks for the First Time in Their Lives

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

That "sample budget" just keeps growing and growing...

Seems to me the 'ex-middleclass' people who can't accept change are holding everything together, and preventing another crash.

What do you think would happen if they all "accepted reality," walked away from their debt, and re-structured their lives to be more manageable?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic_al
reply to post by iceman22

I never really cared what was happening inside the USofA, and for quite a was amusing to watch. But when you look at all the news from 5 years ago about, the White House, FBI, CIA, Homeland Security, Police, Laws Changed, Rights Lost, Wall Street, Bankers, FEMA the list goes on and on and on and on. It actually scares the crap out of me Now. I do feel relatively safe down under, but afraid the US based Cancer/Paranoia will be exported Wolrd Wide.

I can see, how people don't care about whats happening over there! Nevertheless, the facts remains, the USA is the global reserve and a major player in the crazy world, if it goes down watch and see whats happens to the rest of us VERY SOON AFTER! It’s a kind of global barometer of what will happen else where!

edit on 4-1-2011 by iceman22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by DaWhiz

Its the rich banksters who are at fault. Wall street financed the russian revolution. Which gave hitler the chance of getting into power. Screaming about the russian commies. Ford built tanks for hitler. Prescot bush and others, also helped finance hitler. Then when that war started, which was created by the wall street banksters. The USA sat on its ass, until the Europe was on its knees. Then they came into the war and SOLD their help to the allies/ friends. The rich banksters are the ones to blame. The ordenary americans are just like the rest of us. SLAVEs to a system thats a crock of chit. I hear americans always going on about the constitution. What that god dammed scrap of paper, as the grand son of a nazi financer said. I often wondered if he had a picture of his grand dad, in his nazi uniform on the white house wall.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by iceman22

US is... a major player in the crazy world,

Do not forget the USA provides 25% or more of the world's grain. The US is by far the world's leading grain exporter, exporting more than Argentina, Australia, Canada, and Russia combined.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghostfoot
My husband and I can keep our food costs down to $40 US a month for the both of us (3 meals a day) but he is from Asia and he knows how to shop and cook good. We eat mostly rice and pastas veggies , eggs. and hardly any dairy .Not too much meat, if any, only on special occassion. A lot of seafood( I know that can get expensive we eat that because it is healthy)

I don't get it how you square $40 a month for two people with eating "lots of seafood". Please explain.

I had to survive on 50 cents a day for some period of life once, and it wasn't pretty. Quite frankly, I don't believe the number of 20 buck per person per month. Unless you are truly ascetic and eat a spoonful of rice a day.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

I understand fully the problem with negative equity but if they sold their homes they would be left with a debt that is more managable in most cases and so they may very well still be better off.

As for living beyond their means, as horrible as this sounds i have no sympathy for people who do that. Living paycheck to paycheck when you own a home means you have not been careful with your finances. Most people seem to be obsessed with this idea of getting the biggest home and nicest car they can, i'll never understand that.

Greedy people often end up in trouble.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Good points. up:

But the fact remains - these people buy the bull puckey. They'e living under the illusion that "things will get back to normal," probably any day now. So they work 2 -3 jobs trying to keep the wolf away from the door until the good jobs come back. They make minimum payments on their debts, and go to foodbanks for their food.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Well if someone is living under a dillusion they only have themselves to blame, unless they have a genuine mental illness obviously. Most of these people are working very hard, i take no issue with that i'm just taking issue with people who try their hardest in an effort to buy things they don't need or even really want if they actually thought about it.

The point is that people who were careful with their money, lived within their means and saved a little here and there are in a far superior position than those who stretched themselves too far in an effort to "live the dream". Therefore i have no sympathy for those who are now in trouble, well no sympathy is a little harsh, it's not nice seeing people in trouble but i think you know what i mean.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
awhile back, a mob of young adult students chased the royals car through the streets of london shouting "off with their heads".....
could you have ever in you wildest dreams seen that one coming....could you have foreseen britain raising tuition three fold?
neither could these students probably....
we are gonna see things we never dreamt would happen soon all around the globe. we already have seen things!!!
to say that people just spent way more than they could afford is too easy an explaination I think.
If our top economic heads, the gamblers of wall street, and our politicians can sit there and claim that they were blindsided by the housing bust, then I surely think that the rest of us can surely have the right to use the same excuse!! People who thought they had stable jobs are finding themselves without those jobs, people who thought they had retirement funds are finding that they no longer exist, and people who thought they owned their house free and clear, with no mortgage are finding that they have to hire expensive lawyers just to prove to the court that a bank doesn't have the right to foreclose on them!!!
The people have been, are being scammed by those in power, and under those circumstances.....that old...well, they got in over their heads is no longer fitting!
the age old "OFF WITH THEIR HEADS" is more fitting!

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

S&

Worth repeating:

...to say that people just spent way more than they could afford is too easy an explaination I think.
If our top economic heads, the gamblers of wall street, and our politicians can sit there and claim that they were blindsided by the housing bust, then I surely think that the rest of us can surely have the right to use the same excuse!!

Also worth highlighting:

People who thought they had stable jobs are finding themselves without those jobs, people who thought they had retirement funds are finding that they no longer exist, and people who thought they owned their house free and clear, with no mortgage are finding that they have to hire expensive lawyers just to prove to the court that a bank doesn't have the right to foreclose on them!!!
The people have been, are being scammed by those in power, and under those circumstances.....that old...well, they got in over their heads is no longer fitting!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by illuminnaughty
reply to post by DaWhiz

Its the rich banksters who are at fault. Wall street financed the russian revolution. Which gave hitler the chance of getting into power. Screaming about the russian commies. Ford built tanks for hitler. Prescot bush and others, also helped finance hitler. Then when that war started, which was created by the wall street banksters. The USA sat on its ass, until the Europe was on its knees. Then they came into the war and SOLD their help to the allies/ friends. The rich banksters are the ones to blame. The ordenary americans are just like the rest of us. SLAVEs to a system thats a crock of chit. I hear americans always going on about the constitution. What that god dammed scrap of paper, as the grand son of a nazi financer said. I often wondered if he had a picture of his grand dad, in his nazi uniform on the white house wall.

Whoa! You didn't read it, is that why you did not quote? I agree the rich/elite are at their wits end trying to take us down. And yes, they are trying to take the people with individual rights down. If it didn't matter, they would have done it already.
The Constitution was written in 1787. There were no Nazi's then.
Oh and your grandfather went on about The Constitution because back then, we had it on lock down.
Stop being jealous and adopt one. Get a backbone. Get some rights! Stop the hate! You are a slave if you wish to be one. I guess its true about misery loves company!

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
An interesting 'development':

Over 1 million Americans seen losing homes in 2011

Lenders are poised to take back more homes this year than any other since the U.S. housing meltdown began in 2006. About 5 million borrowers are at least two months behind on their mortgages and industry experts say more people will miss payments because of job losses and also loans that exceed the value of the homes they are living in.

"2011 is going to be the peak," said Rick Sharga, a senior vice president at foreclosure tracker RealtyTrac Inc. The firm predicts 1.2 million homes will be repossessed this year.

The blistering pace of foreclosures this year will top 2010, when a record 1 million homes were lost, RealtyTrac said Thursday.

So much for trying to be "responsible."

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Sold their homes to whome? Not many people are looking to buy until they are sure it hits bottom. Then the rich that can afford will pounce and make a boatload more money.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

Sold their homes to whome? Not many people are looking to buy until they are sure it hits bottom. Then the rich that can afford will pounce and make a boatload more money.

The whole game is about "redistributing the wealth."

...Those at the bottom just get the crumbs.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
The whole result of inflation and job losses have finally truly hit our front doors and forcing our lives to literally change. This is what happens when the government is allowed to run rampant on their spending spree.

Don't think this is the end guys, the fed is still printing and QE3 is right around the corner.

I hope you guys all have started to stock up on your essentials, the signs are already on ATS, which means it isn't too far from hitting mainstream and everybody running out to stock up.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

You can get cash from EBT cards!

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by againuntodust

Originally posted by soficrow

Originally posted by againuntodust

...not to be harsh, I know 22,000 for a family of four is hard, but it is definitely do-able - even without government help. Been there. Done that.

I'm sure you have, as have many other members here. But this story is about the middle class - think debt-load, and people trying to hang on to their homes, pay bills and avoid bankruptcy.

SAMPLE BUDGET ............ Month ................. Year
Rent or mortgage ................ $1,200.00 .............. $ 14,400.00
Utilities ............................. 300.00 .............. 3,600.00
Minimum Charge Card Pmts. 500.00 ............... 6,000.00

TOTAL ............................................................ $ 24,000.00

So let's play - where ya gonna cut $2000. - never mind find money for food?

Numbers don't lie (although 500 for credit cards a month is a lot). Thing is, if you're no longer making enough money to live in your house you have to move. There are lots of subsidized housing units available for low-income families, where that 1200 a month can turn into something much more manageable. Same with utilities, there are plenty of programs that can drastically reduce what you pay in utilities based on what you earn... and sometimes credit card payments will have to not be made if it's a choice between that and food.

In the end, though, it's all about survival. Anyone in the situation to stand in line for free food has my sympathy.

Low income housing still goes by what your income is so your still gonna be paying at least 600 to 800 a month for that at least in my area of the country. And a lot of people need the credit cards to pay for the auto repairs on the 10+ yr old car because they cannot afford a new one. And please tell me where people can get on a utility program that goes by your income because I in my life have never seen that? Now if someone got into the above messes with a job only paying 22k a year I can see the argument but if they had a better paying job that closed down or cutback then I just don't agree with your statements. And I am basing my numbers on living in NYS also known as the welfare state.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Looks like they covered food with that 500 dollars in credit a month they are running up..

Just saying.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

you live in NY, you poor soul....
that's the state where I spend a week or so going nuts because every surgeon around wouldn't consider doing an operaton on my ankle without an insane downpayment.
we moved out of the state after that, and I don't plan on ever going back, ever!!
I live in Virginia now, not as much a welfare state, but well, ran into health problems down here also, and ya know what, I at least go some help with the bills down here!!

it seems that the more welfare a state has, the more everyone thinks that that welfare is gonna help those who need help, and well, they will not consider the possibility that that is not true. one can find themselves not able to afford the rent, along with the food, the medical care, and on and on, and well, there is no help, wages are rediculous, and well, forget about a helping hand!!

by the way, heap will help out paying to heat your house...if you qualify...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Woa sounds like a bread line from the Great Depression...

This is more than a recession IMHO!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join