It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bankers fail to censor thesis exposing loophole in bank card security

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Bankers fail to censor thesis exposing loophole in bank card security

www.guardian.co.uk

A powerful bankers' association has failed in its attempt to censor a student thesis after complaining that it revealed a loophole in bank card security.

The UK Cards Association, which represents major UK banks and building societies, asked Cambridge University to remove the thesis from its website, but the request was met with a blunt refusal.

In a letter to university authorities, UKCA chair Melanie Johnson – a former Labour MP who was economic secretary to the Treasury in Tony Blair's government – demanded that the masters thesis be "removed from public access immediately".
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I see this a a victory over the banks. Also just goes to show how susceptible to attack our so called secure technology is . So thought it would be perfect for ATS. I did a search and could not find a thread, so here it is.
Why should the University have to remove the thesis? There is a problem with the chip and pin system so the banking system should spend their (sorry our) money fixing it instead of pursuing law suits.
I say well done Cambridge University for sticking by your beliefs.
When are we going to have enough of these large corporations trying to dictate what we can and can not do? I for one am sick to the back teeth of the lot of them.
What do you ATSers think?
Take Care, Regards

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
You only have to understand who controls Cambridge University to understand what is happening here.

It's simply another way of conditioning the masses to believe that the current monetary system is "not secure".

Then more people will accept the new "secure" system after this one collapses.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

Never thought of it like that. Thanks for the different perspective.Will have to look into your claims see if they hold water or it could just be innocent and the university rightly wants to defend its student. Hmmm. Something more to research.
Take Care, Regards

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Here's the link to his project site..
Site Link

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by UKWO1Phot

Thanks for the link...Now all I need is the cards

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by maythetruthbeknown

S&F.

Good, quick catch. Looked, but didn't find it. Sorry. Good job.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
What I find most alarming is that the student notified the banking industry of this problem in 2009, and nothing was done; instead they simply tried to censor him. Disgusting behavior on their part.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

You only have to understand who controls Cambridge University to understand what is happening here.

It's simply another way of conditioning the masses to believe that the current monetary system is "not secure".

Then more people will accept the new "secure" system after this one collapses.

Sounds entirely plausible to me, and very likely. Do you have more information?

...What is the new system?

top topics

join