It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

All you need to do to help bring down Microsoft is buy their Tablet? What the??

page: 1
2

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I found this hilarious several week old article at Business Insider, and it's basically saying that sales of it's new Tablet are actually painful as heck, killing off it's traditional business windows laptop market and in reality making other companies that produce Tablet hardware/software instant overnight rivals in the new economic landscape.

That's a mouthful alright, but just think of the implications.

Microsoft just lost it's powerhouse monopolistic might it appears in many respects, so now we have actual competition in technology software... And Microsoft faces a whole different kind of ball game than it's easy run for the last 2 decades. Let's see the stock market for the next few years.


A new poll suggests that one in five Americans plan to buy a tablet computer within the next three years. That's great news for Apple, RIM, HP Palm, and the hardware companies like Motorola who are building Android-based tablets. It's horrible news for Microsoft, Read more: www.businessinsider.com...


microsoft could miss tablet surge

The actual situation in the Microsoft boardroom is actually in dire straights. I will quote more from the article to give you a glimpse into why that might be.


Every tablet purchase is a Windows PC not purchased. Read more: www.businessinsider.com...


And here's the kicker. Actually theres a lot of kickers. Ouch!



Worst of all for Microsoft, nearly 40% of survey respondents plan to use their tablets for business. That has dire implications for Microsoft's core enterprise business--each tablet potentially replaces corporate purchases of laptops running Windows, and requires IT departments to support non-Windows clients to connect to corporate applications. Read more: www.businessinsider.com...


Also the article notes that people don't expect Windows 8 out until another year from now.

Can the Xbox or Bing or their Tablets save them from becoming irrelevant???

Xbox is really popular in the US, so they can enjoy that for a while, but even that is tenuous and short term at best.

It seems the days of Microsoft's dominance are behind us, unless.
Unless they actually get off their rear and do something creative and innovative for once lol.


Anyways, thought you folks would really enjoy this knowledge next time you consider buying a new tablet.




posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Just think, Microsoft has major competition in every market now it seems.

People are using Linux and Apple far more often now.
The Xbox has to contend with Nintendo, Sony, and it's own PC Windows OS.
Bing has nothing on Google.
In fact, Google may conquer them all, if we don't watch out.



posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Yahoo yesterday, Google today, Fonhoodogle tomorrow. I do see google leaving its current market for another.

I mean, they did do the extremely smart move of putting all of their eggs in many baskets. Unlike Facebook, Myspace, Yahoo, and the rest of them.

People with computer smarts use PC, without use MAC. Mac users don't like to admit it though.



posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Just think, Microsoft has major competition in every market now it seems.

People are using Linux and Apple far more often now.
The Xbox has to contend with Nintendo, Sony, and it's own PC Windows OS.
Bing has nothing on Google.
In fact, Google may conquer them all, if we don't watch out.


maybe bing can compete with google if bing wasn't a pile of dog#%!*

i can't stand bing you search for something and 75 ads pop up instead of the information you're looking for.



posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by gandhi
 


Excellent fact based research.

Ive always wondered why my computer science professor and chair of our program is an avid apple fan.



posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
tablet "surge"???

So far, tablets are mere toys. The iPad's just an oversized iPod, with less features. There isn't an adequate tablet made yet, and no real reason for anyone to feel any 'need' to buy one; thus no surge.

Microsoft is just fine.



posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Why would you want to "bring down Microsoft", exactly? Homogenising the personal computer market is what put them in every home in the first place.



posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
There were reports of 50 dollar tablets running Linux being sold in India soon. If that happens, i will do everything I can to get one.


I want a tablet. I want three, actually. Not to replace my PC (i need some more computing power than that)....but to give me a more comfortable home web experience and another tool i can pull out at work (and give my wife and son their own internet tool for home that is more portable than what they currently have).


The tablet PC is a cheap instrument. Once i can get a linux capable version for under 100, i am all over it.

BTW, Microsoft isn't the evil empire everyone says they are. Apple is. The fact that you can do nothing to their machines that they don't approve, including the software i want to run, is reprehensible.



posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash
 

I'm not sure that every tablet PC purchased is a windows PC not purchased, especially if the price point gets below $100, people pay that much and more for Windows alone. So people may buy a tablet where they wouldn't have bought anything otherwise if they're cheap enough. But sure some PC sales might be replaced by tablets.

I remember hearing that Linux was good and free so it would cause the demise of Microsoft but the Linux market share is still pretty tiny.

Will tablets take a bite out of Microsoft's market share? Probably, but even if Microsoft's market share goes from 90 to 75 percent, that won't exactly put them out of business, though their share price will reflect that drop. Linux and Apple still have a pretty small share:

www.osnews.com...



posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
To me the tablets of today are just fads. They are way to big and bulky to be carried around. My droid2 has more features, fits in my pocket and is prolly faster to be honest. I can do damn near anything on it that i can do on my laptop. To me the future is something that has a small projector screen so if i want to watch movies on a bigger screen i just shoot it on a wall. Also, it would have software where it would recognize my hand movements. In fact, alot like this video except something i can carry in my pocket and I dont have to have something hanging around my neck and i dont have to project everything that i do for the world to see.

www.ted.com...



posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by gandhi
Yahoo yesterday, Google today, Fonhoodogle tomorrow. I do see google leaving its current market for another.

I mean, they did do the extremely smart move of putting all of their eggs in many baskets. Unlike Facebook, Myspace, Yahoo, and the rest of them.

People with computer smarts use PC, without use MAC. Mac users don't like to admit it though.


PC users love to spend time trying to make a machine do stuff. Mac users love to work with a machine that does stuff.
I switched to Mac in 2006. Couldn't afford one before. I started off with synclair zx81, a piece of sh°t that could handle a maximum of 30 lines of code. Next, the bbc acorn, a machine you had to talk "peek" and "poke" with in order to make it work but the eprom-based software started in a blink of an neversleepingeye. Then 286 up to Pentium. I did see windows 1.0 on a screen (didn't do much) and left wintendo when it was XP.

Can you imagine who pleased I was to find out that a mac basically runs a decent version of UNIX and that actually a nerd like me can tweak a mac even better then a pc? the main difference is: most of the time you don't have to because things just worK.



posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I am in the group planning on buying a tablet. I would encourage everyone to try to buy a tablet which is manufactured in or near the country that you live in. Resist buying anything manufactured by slave laborers in Korea, Vietnam, China, and so on.

Buy local or join the slave market!



posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
reply to post by muzzleflash
 

I'm not sure that every tablet PC purchased is a windows PC not purchased, especially if the price point gets below $100, people pay that much and more for Windows alone. So people may buy a tablet where they wouldn't have bought anything otherwise if they're cheap enough. But sure some PC sales might be replaced by tablets.

I remember hearing that Linux was good and free so it would cause the demise of Microsoft but the Linux market share is still pretty tiny.

Will tablets take a bite out of Microsoft's market share? Probably, but even if Microsoft's market share goes from 90 to 75 percent, that won't exactly put them out of business, though their share price will reflect that drop. Linux and Apple still have a pretty small share:

www.osnews.com...


ouch, that graph hurts :-). In a business moving as fast as it does, 2009 is history.
I found this press release that predicts the tablet market (iOS, Android, WebOS, Windows Mobile & RIM) to grow with 200% and take about 35% of the mobile devices (laptops, slates, netbooks) markets.

source

another recent report predicts that maybe we're a little too soon in reserving a date for Microsoft's funeral as first signs of something good for their version 8 pop up.
Not that I want them to do so, but they might re-enter the game full force.
Imagine the install base of Nokia! In a couple of months from now, they will all run the latest MS mobile OS. That will make the nice graphs dance, for sure. All we can hope for is iOS 5 to be a game changer once again.



posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Doesn't Gates and Microsoft own more than 150 million shares of Apple? Didn't Microsoft basically keep Apple afloat on purpose to avoid antitrust suits?

I'm not very familiar with all this but I think I read that somewhere. I'd appreciate it if someone could clear that up.



posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizzie56
To me the tablets of today are just fads. They are way to big and bulky to be carried around. My droid2 has more features, fits in my pocket and is prolly faster to be honest. I can do damn near anything on it that i can do on my laptop. To me the future is something that has a small projector screen so if i want to watch movies on a bigger screen i just shoot it on a wall. Also, it would have software where it would recognize my hand movements. In fact, alot like this video except something i can carry in my pocket and I dont have to have something hanging around my neck and i dont have to project everything that i do for the world to see.

www.ted.com...



i have an iPad.
i make (little) money (on occasion) writing ironic columns on interactive technology and the way people deal with it. Would love to link to some but they're written in Dutch so what's the use...
I wrote a column calling an iPad an ideal device to consume digital entertainment.
I had to rewrite that column the night after we successfully deployed a batch of iPads as real-time selling machines during a series of gigs of new artists: the iPads were used to instantly sell "fan shares" to the audience, while the stuff was ongoing. The iPad is a lot more, I experienced. Of course you can use terminals to sell, but not to create "an experience".

the TED video is inspiring indeed.

now stretch the idea. Imagine a way to interact with machines that is exactly the same way people deal with objects around them. Imagine filing a text by putting the holographic version of a sheet of paper in a holographic map, opening an holographic cabinet.... Beam me up!



posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by METACOMET
Doesn't Gates and Microsoft own more than 150 million shares of Apple? Didn't Microsoft basically keep Apple afloat on purpose to avoid antitrust suits?

I'm not very familiar with all this but I think I read that somewhere. I'd appreciate it if someone could clear that up.





At the 1997 Macworld Expo, Steve Jobs announced that Apple would join Microsoft to release new versions of Microsoft Office for the Macintosh, and that Microsoft made a $150 million investment in non-voting Apple stock.
(wikipedia)

don't know about the rationale behind the deal



new topics

top topics



 
2

log in

join