It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Everyone Sensitive?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I am curious to see opinions on this subject.

I believe that some people are more "aware" or "sensitive" to things going on around them that a lot of people can't see or hear. I will try to explain this as best as I can. I think a lot of children experience more paranormal activity mainly because they are still at an age that society has not had enough time to condition them into closing themselves off. As we age a lot of us become aware that society says things don't exist or occur and those that can see/hear are often outcast or deemed mentally unstable.

It is acceptable for a child to have an imaginary friend. Bats in the belfry if an adult sees and talks to things that aren't there.

So I have often wondered if we all are born "seeing" and only a few hold on to it? Or if the people who experience paranormal things are single handedly chosen in some way?

What do the atser's think? Can everyone be so called "sensitive" or not? If not what do you think the criteria are for being chosen to see?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Like you say, it's all about how open one's mind is.

If you look for it, you'll probably see it. If you aren't looking for it, then you'll probably just ignore it.

I'm sure that there's occurrences every day where normal people run into paranormal activity but don't even notice it because their minds are busy on something else.

Most of the time when people notice paranormal activity, it is in the middle of the night when they are not busy and are not focused on something. This is especially apparent when you're trying to sleep in bed...

I remember when I used to experience such activity or see ghosts as a kid. It mostly depended on the location (some places were more haunted than others). However, I was never really scared or even cared when I was with another person since there is that "thought-link" process between two people in the same room... It wasn't until I was alone and bored that the crazy sh*t started happening.

Though I have to say one thing though. I've experienced minimal paranormal activity since I hit puberty (I am now 20). This is interesting because I am completely open to the concept of the paranormal and ghosts, and sometimes I actively try to seek them out but I have little success compared to when I was a kid and the stuff came to me.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
I am curious to see opinions on this subject.

I believe that some people are more "aware" or "sensitive" to things going on around them that a lot of people can't see or hear. I will try to explain this as best as I can. I think a lot of children experience more paranormal activity mainly because they are still at an age that society has not had enough time to condition them into closing themselves off. As we age a lot of us become aware that society says things don't exist or occur and those that can see/hear are often outcast or deemed mentally unstable.

It is acceptable for a child to have an imaginary friend. Bats in the belfry if an adult sees and talks to things that aren't there.

So I have often wondered if we all are born "seeing" and only a few hold on to it? Or if the people who experience paranormal things are single handedly chosen in some way?

What do the atser's think? Can everyone be so called "sensitive" or not? If not what do you think the criteria are for being chosen to see?

Children experience more paranormal activities because of their overactive imaginations, society has nothing to do with it.

The Boogieman in the closet does not exist.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Interesting on the puberty point. That would probably coinside with the common time frame that most children become more aware and start to worry how others percieve them.

Maybe it just becomes harder for the entity (or other) to produce the energy needed to show itself?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Segador

Yes. But if the boogie man falls in the closet and the child has no imagination does he still make a sound when he hits the floor?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Being "sensitive" seems to come down to genetic propensities and environmental triggers. One of the factors I've realized in these kinds of things has to do with the levels of circulating copper levels and accumulated copper deposits in soft tissue areas. Often times, the copper level drops a bit around age 4, but because of either pure genetic factors, else also to do with environment like copper tubing in water pipes, the child will continue to have elevated copper levels until puberty or even well into adulthood.

High copper is associated with intuition and psychic powers. It's thought that this is because copper is an excellent conductor of electricity, so when it gets deposited in larger than average bits within the brain, the ions flow more easily. When cooper gets too high, however, detrimental things like psychosis/paranoia spring up. Hallucinations can happen as well.

Here's a link:

Copper Toxicity Syndrome

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   

reply to post by Segador

Yes. But if the boogie man falls in the closet and the child has no imagination does he still make a sound when he hits the floor?

That's exactly right.

I know from my own experiences that it has little to do with imagination. In fact, a child with a lack of an imagination would probably realize that this strange activity is real and not imagined.

Maybe it just becomes harder for the entity (or other) to produce the energy needed to show itself?

I'm skeptical on this common theory. It's obvious that they can feed off of someone's energy... But I don't see this type of "energy" like electricity or something linear.

It is more like a "mental energy", meaning that the more you realize this thing exists, the better it can manifest itself. That explains why in most cases, a conscious haunting usually starts out as quiet noises, and over time expands into manipulating physical objects, talking, touching, appearing, etc.

This is getting into the idea of metaphysics... this is when things exists but are beyond our conception of physics and matter. In my opinion, a human's existence is of mind, body and soul. When the body dies, it doesn't necessarily mean the other aspects die out. Their thoughts live on, for example, through their accomplishments (like scientists or world leaders that we idolize). The soul lives on sometimes, probably because the person has not realized that their body has died, or if other people will that spirit to continue to exist, or if that person (during their life) had gained extensive astral experience and knows how to exist out of the body (perhaps even dying just to break free of the physical cage).

I can't say for sure why children experience the most paranormal activity... but if I had to guess, I would say it is because they are young, impressionable and without the burdens of being an adult where we are always distracted with trivial things.
edit on 2-1-2011 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

That's a new one for me but sounds quite plausible. I will use your link and study up on it. Thank you for providing it!

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   

So you had experiences as a child yourself that were real or imagined?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   

So you had experiences as a child yourself that were real or imagined?

Real, for sure.

There's a difference. It isn't imagined when you hear or see something external and strange, and you have to stop what you are doing or thinking about in order to pay attention to what you are experiencing.

It's also highly instinctual too to know that what you are experiencing is the real deal. One example is when I was young and visiting an old house (which a few people have had experiences at), I was hanging out by myself in the basement and I left to go upstairs for some reason. Walking up the stairs I clearly saw a ghost, who was an old-fashioned chick walking around at the top of the stairs and even walking into the room that I was staying in. I may of been like 6 years old or so, but I instinctively stopped and watched it, knowing that it was not normal.

Another example was when I was like 12 or so. I was in my own home alone with my dog during a blizzard. Earlier that day, my mom had an accident and had to be driven to a hospital out of town and I barely knew the details, but it seemed serious. So I was sitting there watching TV when I clearly heard somebody walking up the inside stairs really loud. I immediately knew it was abnormal so I froze everything and I was basically asking my dog "WTF is that?!" The steps got higher and higher, and eventually I ended up leaving the house. My dog definitely knew it was there; he kept staring in that direction and wouldn't budge when I tried to get him outside.

PS I edited my last post with more info

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Wow. That would be extremely unnerving I would think. I have never seen full body apparition or anything comparable. I mostly "feel" when things occur. I hear as well but the feeling has always been with me. I never doubted it was real and especially didn't/don't doubt it when it tells me to run far and fast from a place or person.

My dog does what yours did. And as silly as it may sound that is one thing that got me thinking about age and sensitivity to society norms. Neither small children nor animals have been taught that things like this do not exist and are out of the norm.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

No not everyone is sensitive or canbe trained to be so. I have reason to believe from decades of observation that the extreme right brain types are not sensitive. That is the basis for all arguments between skeptic and "experiencer".
edit on 2-1-2011 by tiger5 because: typo

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
"You are born naked into this world with nothing but the gift of sensitivity" - Silver Birch

Everyone,even skeptics can be taught how to use psychic or mediumistic energy's.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by tiger5

So you consider it more of a brain chemical that allows for this or a personality (type) issue? I guess depending on how you tie in personality with chemicals in the brain it could be both. Interesting. Do you yourself experience these things and that is how you came to this conclusion? I understand if you do not wish to answer that.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by iceblue20-12

I love the Silver Birch quote. It is closer to my train of thought. How would one go about teaching another to become sensitive?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Yes. Well I spent decades trsaining people to be sensitive and my failures were all excellent engineering types that I associated with the right brainers. My own background is in science but I had experiences long before I accepted my sensitivity. I was terrifed becusue I lived in a small community and did not want to be labelled a nutcase.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I reckon it's 6th sense
some people can use it more than others, like hearing not everyones a good listener

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by tiger5

I could agree with your point about the scientist types I suppose. I guess it may come down to over analyzing or the like.

And it really is terrible to live around people like that. I reside in a small community . It is the same here still today. I can hear 20 People talk about tornados sounding like frieght trains but never hear about a paranormal experience someone else has had.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Destroyer2012

Ok. So we all are born with the ability but some choose not to or just cannot use it?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
All born with the 6th sense some just are able to use it better than others for example everyone can talk but some people have disabilites un able to talk or speak properly

think of it as the opposite where the 6th sense it's only the rare who can use it

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join