It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it true that the young are actively trying to get rid of the old?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I have observed a few things that lead me to believe the young want the world, without boring old people.

O kay - who is prepared to end someone's life?

And how many young people have listened to older peoples' wisdom.

If young people want to rule the world, I hope they know the rules!

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
I have observed a few things that lead me to believe the young want the world, without boring old people.

Care to enlighten us to these "few things"?

O kay - who is prepared to end someone's life?

What are the circumstances? Those make a difference, at least to me.

And how many young people have listened to older peoples' wisdom.

Rhetorical? I mean I don't think this is something we can get an accurate number on.

If young people want to rule the world, I hope they know the rules!

If young people rule the world, don't they get to make the rules?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I don't know what the heck you are talking about ( sorry if that sounds harsh ) but i have never heard of younger people wanting the world for themselves and ridding the earth of old people . Don't they know that one day they will be old themselves, but i think this is just something that is in your head so don't worry about it .

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Yup! You know the old, heartless saying: "Out with the old, in with the new". Just look at those "reverse mortgages". Can't have cash without giving up the house! The seniors are easy prey: I've heard one nephew took out equity on his aunt's house to buy a nursing home in the East Bay. She lost the house on the "suggestion" by the nephew to stop paying her "mortgage bill". Now how's that for those young upstarts? Not ethical in the least, I'm afraid.
edit on 2011-1-02 by pikypiky because: To correct for spelling and grammar.

edit on 2011-1-02 by pikypiky because: To add more creative "food for thoughts".

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
If you can't see this trend, please open your eyes.

This is the new (or not so new) trend taking over the world.

We are so dumb - now we have people wondering why young people are so violent - excuse me - killer games?

I wish people would get real right now.

Young people have been brainwashed by violent vids - why are we wondering?

Youth has been corrupted by big business.

And it leads naturally to - get rid of old people.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Big business is run by the old people. So maybe they are just going to be getting what they deserve?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   

If you can't see this trend, please open your eyes.

Hmm, if it is so obvious can you at least point out some instances? Though now I am confused.

First you said "a few things" but this new statement makes it seem like it is an epidemic. That's okay, I am sure you will explain everything (with sources/evidence) right?

We are so dumb...

Speak for yourself, please.

We are so dumb - now we have people wondering why young people are so violent - excuse me - killer games?

Really? So these third world countries, you know the ones without running water or electricity. These places are a result of "violent video games"?

EDIT (Clarification)
Violence is a common occurance (will provide evidence if needed) in third world countries. If the OPer/OPost is correct, then violent games should be the most common item around those parts. How do they play them without the electricity?
/EDIT

I wish people would get real right now.

I am trying, but you won't give me any evidence. Other than correlation, and we all know that does not equal causation.

Young people have been brainwashed by violent vids - why are we wondering?

What? Alright, I need a definintion of "youth".

Na, nevermind, this is looking like hogwash. No proof, just outlandish claims.

Are you just listing stuff now? I mean if you list everything eventually someone will agree, right?

And it leads naturally to - get rid of old people.

Huh?
edit on 1/2/2011 by adigregorio because: Clarification

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

The high numbers of elderly in nursing homes, and nursing homes can't be built fast enough, probably gives you the answer you are looking for. Put it in a nutshell....it's balantly disrepectful and callous. A large portion of the elderly should'nt even be inside them and are quite capable of living an independant life...except the son has found a loophole in the system to grab his father's house and assets.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

the OLD are the ones who caused this.. they didn't listen to their parents about DEBT, PROTEST, VIOLENTS STRIKES, ETC..

they are reeping what they have sewn for the last 40 years..

they were lottery winners compared to the pay and quality of life we have now.. good riddance to those who caused this by their personal greed and gullibility..

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   

The young rebelling against the old is a natural phenomenon that probably predates humanity and is evident in most mammals. A few hours watching primates on Animal Planet or any other documentary source will prove this out very quickly.

But this rebellion has nothing to do with a desire to destroy or to kill. It is simply the biological imperative in action. The young reach adolescence and begin to covet and crave what the established adults have. The social status, mating opportunities, and, in the case of humans, the wealth. In animals "wealth" might be construed as "feeding opportunity/order" but it amounts to the same thing. The literal "pecking" order.

Sure, you can produce a plethora of examples of young persons killing older people as a means of supporting the postulation of your OP. But I could just as easily produce endless examples of the old killing the young. Applying these statistics to any "trend", as postulated here, unfortunately, is just conformation bias.

~Heff
edit on 1/2/11 by Hefficide because: addition

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
In every generation the young do not understand what the old mean when they talk about the importance of values, think they are just brainwashed to be conservative, and think they know better. Some of the young do grow up and learn, some stay teenagers till they die.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
its because young people are rightfully pissed at how bad old people have messed things up.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
To a 100 year old person, a 60 year old is young.

To a 60 year old person, a 30 year old is young

To a 30 year old, a 17 year old is young.

Anyway, I ask again. Which one are we using for this thread?

Then can I get some data to back up these claims?
edit on 1/2/2011 by adigregorio because: an to a

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
The ultimate kick will be when SHTF and we have a ton of youngin's without the ability to boil water! Seriously!

However, over the past half-century of my life I find that more and more I run into box-fed elderly that haven't a clue how to cook an egg let alone a decent meal. I highly doubt this is the young folks doing this to the old folks but rather the old failing to hold on to what is important to know and learn.

Of course I am sure all the young and the old on ATS cook their own meals from scratch! They have coveted the old recipes with basic ingredients and they plan on teaching more and more generations how to accomplish this!

Do young people actually cook? Do old people actually cook? Hardly, they all run about buying pre-made and pre-packaged foods. God forbid if someone should have to go out to the yard, dispatch a chicken, clean and prepare including parting the meat, and then preparing any necessary ingredients in order to feed their family (although please consider aging meat, it makes a world of difference). Bones can be boiled for Gelatin and for Stock--beyond that bonemeal can be added to the garden space but most just dump those parts away

I worked as a CNA (Nursing Assistant), and I have witnessed first-hand how the elderly are treated by their youngin's. Like they never knew how to care for anyone before. It is all about ADL (activities of Daily Living), Hygiene, and Nutrition. Is this such a hard thing to comprehend?

We can certainly blame ourselves, both young and old for losing such valuable life-giving attributes, but then again the youth have attachments that prevent them from learning. Attachments such as video games, movies, and their collective banter of nonsensical meanderings. Ever tried to talk to a young person? How many times have you heard the words? "I don't know".

Perhaps it is a loss to Humanity to have the Youth and Old so dumbed down, but it certainly makes for great Consumerism and it pays well.

Once Society (Satan) falls, there will be a few out there that are known to do magical things such as starting fires, maintaining gardens, properly using and storing food, and of course cooking fabulous meals. What a great way of bringing the Generations together, sad it has to wait until we lose the IDK People (I don't know people).

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

O kay - who is prepared to end someone's life

In 2004 the elderly made up about 16% of the suicide rate. So, "who is prepared to end someone's life" really is a subjective statement as a large percentage of suicides (almost one quarter) are the elderly. This leaves an additional three quarters for the youth, and the middle aged. My statistics are a few years outdated, but I was unable to find a 2010 study that did not require me to pay money for the articles.

And how many young people have listened to older peoples' wisdom

This is a false belief. Wisdom does not come with age. Wisdom comes with experience and understanding. I know plenty of elderly people who are still bigoted about non-Christian religions. Plenty of others who are still racist about the dismantling of segregation and the election of an African-American president. I also know many, many younger peoples who happen to be very intelligent, open-minded, thinking individuals who probably know more about the ways in which this world works than you and I combined. What you are demonstrating here is called ageism. It is a prejudiced stance to hold.

If young people want to rule the world, I hope they know the rules

The rules are made by those who control the power. Being old doesn't give you any special ability to make the rules, or know the truth, or anything like that. Being intelligent, hard-working, determined, or lucky enough to be born into a higher standing allows one to obtain the privileges of power and rule-making. You do not seem to understand at all just how our world operates. So you must not be one of those "wise old men" that you are putting upon pedestals.

We are so dumb - now we have people wondering why young people are so violent - excuse me - killer games

This old trope again? Correlation does not imply causation. You see violent video games and violent movies as the reason for this mythical increase in violence among the youth. Your ideological blinders have just caused you to obfuscate the violence from your own generation, whatever one it may be.

If you were born and grew up in the 1900s until the 1930s then there was the movement against women's rights. The start of segregation post-emancipation for the African-American.

If you lived from the 30s through the 50s then you had the advent of WWII with all of the German and Japanese prejudices. As well as the "nuclear Christian family" concept which persecuted non-Christians. Segregation and racism lead to beatings and murder of non-whites.

If you lived from the 50s to the 70s then you had the anti-feminist movements geared towards keeping women in their proper attire. You had the anti-rock-and-roll movement against that "heathen" and "devil inspired" music. The anti-drug movement rose up. The cry y the racist whites against the abolishing of segregation existed.

Between the 70s and now there has been an increased fervor against free speech by the elderly, a debasement of modern trends and styles by the elderly. A new rise in agiesm and racism from the elderly. And so, so, so much more.

You just like the fake nostalgia of being able to say that your generation was so much better. But in reality you've just chosen to ignore the horrible things your era did.

I wish people would get real right now

I wish you would get real right now.

Young people have been brainwashed by violent vids - why are we wondering

Because there are no unbiased studies proving this claim. Correlation does not imply causation.

Youth has been corrupted by big business

And the aged have been corrupted by propaganda and misinformation in just the same way as we have become products of our cultural environment. Same tripe, new decade. You all loved your war bonds and fresh food markets back then, just as we love out K-marts and strip malls now.

And it leads naturally to - get rid of old people

The steps of your claim are as follows:

1. Young people are stupid
2. Young people watch violent movies
3. Young people like big business
4. Get real
5. ???
6. Kill old people

This makes no sense, does not follow, is filled with a bunch of non sequitur arguments, and ultimately is not a sound claim. You have failed. Please try again, and this time do some actual research.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I'm convinced the older generation is actively (or inadvertently) trying to suppress the potential of the youngest generation.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I'll bite.

So what if they were? I mean lets be brutally honest, the old generation are majority bigots, racist, religious war mongers. A world without old people would be much more harmonious and beautiful.

The idea that old people are wiser and intelligent doesn't apply to the West. Nobody wants most old people around because you ruined the planet and you're majority lunatics.

I mean, violent video games. When that's all you can slam the youth for its telling, isn't it.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Actually, older people want a world where 20-somethings are treated like children.

If our parents aren't willing to "hand over the reins", then it's just going to continue to be a miserable existence for all.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

The conservative mindset has no basis in reality. It is backwards, detrimental to true spiritual development and centered on fear.

It makes sense for younger people to reject it.

You can have values and follow any political ideology you wish.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

You're wrong. It's the young who always think they are wise for rebelling, but who later gain experience and realize they were over estimating their own intelligence and realize the importance of what their parents were trying to teach them, and their kids rebel and so forth.
edit on 5-1-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join