It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

proXPN - This is the REAL way to achieve private and secure web browsing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I just did a little search and couldn't find another thread on this brilliant little piece of software I think everyone at ATS should know about. It IS completely free although there is a paid version if you need speeds higher than 1000kbs or a VPN outside the US. It doesn't seem entirely reliable, but is probably the best option if you need a really secure browsing session. You can get it here: proxpn.com... Check out the video to get a better idea of what this software does, it's a really cool video actually.

What proXPN does...

* upgrades your internet connection with VPN encryption
* secures all types of connections from DSL and cable to 3G
* gives you 100% private access to the internet
* allows you to access content restricted to the United States

With proXPN nobody* can...

* see the websites you visit
* hijack your passwords, credit cards, or banking details
* intercept and spy on your email, IMs, calls, or anything else
* record your web history
* run traces to find out where you live

And whilst we are on the topic of internet security/privacy, anyone with Firefox will find this list of add-ons extremely valuable.

Related article: www.guidingtech.com...

EDIT: Fixed video.
edit on 2-1-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
There's also ipredator which is owned and operated by the guys who ran/ran thepiratebay.org .. it operates out of sweden which for the time being, has extremely powerful privacy laws..

It's the same idea apparently .. vpn with servers in sweden..

Don't forget about TOR onion routing as well ..

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
proxpn servers are located in the US ( for free accounts ) .. so is the company itself.. so it's subjected to US privacy laws ... if they wanted to eavesdrop they could ... they do have servers in the UK but UK and US are practically married and cooperate quite closely .. they also have servers in NL which I can't speak about very well..

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

There's also ipredator which is owned and operated by the guys who ran/ran thepiratebay.org .. it operates out of sweden which for the time being, has extremely powerful privacy laws..

Sounds like it might be good, I'll have a look into that. Is that a VPN thing or does it just use proxies?
EDIT: I see you actually answered that, must have skipped over that line.
EDIT: It doesn't actually seem to be free, so that's not really of use to me.

Don't forget about TOR onion routing as well ..

Yeah, that's a great tool, but very, very slow. I would actually use it on top of one of these VPN services to achieve ultimate privacy. I have the Tor button listed in the Firefox add-ons I think.

proxpn servers are located in the US ( for free accounts ) .. so is the company itself.. so it's subjected to US privacy laws ... if they wanted to eavesdrop they could ...

That's true, and that thought did actually cross my mind, but it would definitely be a lot safer than normal browsing. I'm just trying to find something that gives me that extra layer of protection without bogging me down.

edit on 2-1-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by WhizPhiz

I downloaded and installed it, but it found out that the free version doesn't support countries outside of the U.S. So I guess it's of no use to me

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

this site is already blocked by my ISP
, probably one of them has an account here

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr UAE

this site is already blocked by my ISP

Wow, they must really be serious about logging all the websites their customers visit! I would change ISP's immediately if I were you, that's not acceptable.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   

I wouldn't touch that thing with a ten foot pole.... nothing's free.... those who took the time, labor and material to provide are doing it for a reason other than to make you feel secure.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by soleprobe

I wouldn't touch that thing with a ten foot pole.... nothing's free.... those who took the time, labor and material to provide are doing it for a reason other than to make you feel secure.

It isn't entirely free as I stated, there is a paid version, they do make profit. But even if it was completely free, it would likely be open source, and I trust open source software way more than paid software because people are constantly checking the source code, it's actually possible to look at the inner workings. The software is essentially free unless you need upgraded features, their company has an "open source" vibe, I guess I trust them due to that, they do seem to be truly committed to protecting privacy.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Open source has nothing to do with privacy.
A VPN is a Virtual Private Network.

Can you tell me with confidence just who else is on it?

Same with TOR.
Damned good, except when leaving or entering the country.
Data is encrypted at between the source and destination, but a very simple forwarding or spoof at the main points (check them---many are in DC) leaves them wide open. And many outside the country are run by agencies and departments not subservient to U.S. laws.

Run TOR, do a traceroute and whois on the results and tell me I'm lying.

top topics

join