It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The REAL reason why billionaires are suddenly giving away their money

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Just saw on the news that suddenly billionaires are falling over themselves to give their money away.

Hmmmm - apart from Bill and Melinda Gates, who have been doing that forever...why?

Here is why - because they know something that we don't and they have suddenly seen where their greedy and heedless wealth leads.

Sorry, too late I think.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
So how can I get in on some of this give away?...

I assume you are speaking of a dollar crash and subsequent currency replacement scheme is what they supposedly know that we supposedly don't. The real secret is we do know, but Joe Sixpack doesn't know I guess.
edit on 1-1-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
lol, maybe its me having a drink or two in me, but maybe (doubt you considered this) YOU are the one just now noticing...

For tax purposes, the wealthy give away A LOT of money every year.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Hi, hawk,

Contact them and ask for some!

They can't wait.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

mind giving some sources? or a link or something? this sounds interesting and i want MOAR

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by dmefoc

No,

This is different. Headline news.

It is not headline news for no reason.

It is headline news because it is about people who have sat on their money. So what has changed.

Something big has changed, and it is not a change of heart by these greedy a holes. It is a change because they are scared of something.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
They have only pledged, not actually given any cash yet. Looks good but will wait and see.

givingpledge.org... The site based around this story.
edit on 1/1/2011 by greenfruit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by freedish

Hi free,

I am so crap at links - go to Channel 3 news. Probably tv.co.nz - any channel will do probably. Just make sure you do the nz thing.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Okay just PM when my check is ready

There is no reason that with with so much empty land and so many trillions of dollars floating around that ANYONE should be left homeless to die in the cold.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Google "the pledge contract billionaires" you get all the news info on it. This is almost as bad as Oprah starting her own channel. A lot of self promotion but very little substance.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Chakotay

Yes, Chak,

You are so right.

That is why I get so infuriated - that these people would leave people to starve.

OMG.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I believe the story is they are pledging there money to philanthropic causes. One of Bill Gates favorites is VACCINE research

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
On the one hand, it's a grand magnanimous gesture certain to garner attention and favor when the super rich pledge half of their fortune. After tax breaks and deferrals, the net effect probably increases their personal cash flow. Let's not forget that foundations and "benevolent societies" were invented to preserve fortunes and estates and shelter them from the ravages of taxation. Besides, maybe they really DO know something that would prohibit them from being able to utilize more than half of their income or assets.

ganjoa

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Whatever the words are used to describe these hoarders of wealth - give, pledge or donate, perhaps, these cads actually have a heart and know they can't go to "heaven" if they don't "give it up" for the rest of the bottom-feeders. Or they know something that we don't and are prepared when the SHTF.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by pikypiky

Hi piky,

You are so right.

But they have left it too late.

How ironic, when they think they can buy everything, including the afterlife.

Gotta laugh.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

They are trying to buy forgiveness before they return

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
This isn't really news, as pointed out this is a PLEDGE and the movement started a few years ago .. Warren Buffett started this a while back and has been asking others with wealth to do the same.

It's for a good cause.. but keep in mind it's just a pledge, few have actually DONE it .. and most probably won't .. But again this has been going on for a few years now and it's just becoming a popular PR move ... I find it awfully suspect for example that Zuckerberg pledged not long after "The Social Network" came out making him look worse than he already has... it's an image thing..

I look at it as a loan on their image.. they can pledge billions to a charity, the pledge is basically "before they die" .. so zuckerberg for example doesn't have to own up to his pledge for years to come.. he gets the immediately karma boost for making the pledge, but when he's 70 .. who's going to remember? .. and who's to say he even has to .. there's no obligation for him to live up to it..
edit on 2-1-2011 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

So,

You are saying that our NZ news is not news?

NZ does not do stale news.

But we are so used to every big country being a bully, and we are used to fighting the bullies.

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
This is old news!! I wouldn't say they are falling over them selves to give their money away...thats a bit dramatic. Warren Buffett has pledged to give away half his wealth and is urging all the other billionaires to do the same. What billionaire said they could buy everything including the afterlife?? The majority of the wealthy people I know are very frugal with their money and don't blow it on nonsense. I have no problem with people spending the money THEY earned anyway they want. Who am I to tell you how to spend your money?? NO ONE will tell me what to do with the money I have worked hard to acquire!!

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Even if the pledged money is released and donated; it will be foundations that oversee the money and decide who benefits. Sure charitable organizations like GoodWill and Salvation Army will get some but for the poor man in the street....

"let em eat cake"

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join