It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit in ruins

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ellen15
Detroit looks like the aftermath of being bombed - War Zone

Poverty is a form of violence. It is a particularly cruel one.
The huge majority of people would not become prostitutes and street criminals had they any access to any alternative.

When you get in a bad way, with no money, no credit, no chance at a job, and no transportation you can really find yourself STUCK.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by FarArcher
And for this ruin, to a large degree due to the decline of the US auto and steel industry, I'd like to extend my personal thanks to unions.

You union-ed yourselves right out of jobs.

Congratulations.

it wasn't just the unions,
it was free trade agreements
with other countries.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Are these images really that shocking to people? There's tons of English towns and cities in the North that look just like Detroit.
Without the crack epedemic and drive-by shootings, it must be said

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Detroit in ruins

www.guardian.co.uk

Wow an entire American city that looks like a bomb hit it.

Who knew?

That's wild how they left all that stuff in the library, school, police station and churches and ran.

It's a good thing we're spreading democracy and building schools and police stations in Afghanistan and Iraq.
edit on 2-1-2011 by In nothing we trust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Ironic, isn't it, that where there is the most government "intervention" is where you see the worst decline? More and more of our country is going to end up looking like this unless people wake up, put government in its proper place (and yes, it does have one), and start creating their own opportunities instead of waiting for Uncle Sam to make one for them.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Yeah lets attack "people's pride" and blame that for why Detroit is in ruins. As if every person in a city has the same amount or lack of pride in their neighborhoods...

In reality, the true reason that Detroit in is ruins, is complex. There are various factors that went into play, such as rampant drugs, violence, theft, etc. Probably the biggest reason that Detroit collapsed, is because it outsourced it's factory jobs to cheaper places.

The poster who said they unionized themselves into bankruptcy was quite right.

When the jobs leave, the people leave. SimCity 101.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Detroit in ruins

www.guardian.co.uk

Wow an entire American city that looks like a bomb hit it.

Who knew?

That's wild how they left all that stuff in the library, school, police station and churches and ran.

It's a good thing we're spreading democracy and building schools and police stations in Afghanistan and Iraq.

That's probably the most telling image, the Library. I'd be in an out of there with a wheel barrow until it was empty

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana

Poverty is a form of violence. It is a particularly cruel one.
The huge majority of people would not become prostitutes and street criminals had they any access to any alternative.

When you get in a bad way, with no money, no credit, no chance at a job, and no transportation you can really find yourself STUCK.

You have to ask yourself why so many people are in that situation.

Why is poverty so prevalent when there is so much wealth in the world? Believe me, I'm no communist. I'm not suggesting redistribution of wealth, but why do the few at the top of the pyramid stand by and watch those at the bottom destroy themselves?

Because they 'know' that ultimately we can't all be well off and if anyone should be, it should be them.

But let's move up another notch on the totem pole of me thought process. And when I say 'me' I mean 'us'. 'We' all know that a small percentage will thrive. I want to be in that WE. Who wouldn't? But at what cost? Would you let the majority of mankind suffer and die so you could live comfortably?

I say no. Let them eat cake. I say off with their heads!

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by NadaCambia
Are these images really that shocking to people? There's tons of English towns and cities in the North that look just like Detroit.

No, plenty of crack and smack but little gun related whack.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by teapot

It's not really an epedemic though. Crack and heroin never really hit English ghettos like they did in America.

Although it hit Burnley hard in the late 70's, early 80s. Evidence below

upload.wikimedia.org...

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Why doesn't someone go around and burn all the buildings down? It would certainly send a message to the government. They would take action then. It's all gonna need burning down anyway, and it might be decades before anyone does anything about it.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

I remember coming across this video and others on youtube a good few months ago. My jaw hit the floor to see this once thriving City so desolate and decaying in a first world country.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx
Why doesn't someone go around and burn all the buildings down? It would certainly send a message to the government. They would take action then. It's all gonna need burning down anyway, and it might be decades before anyone does anything about it.

Detroit used to have a big arson problem.

The city of Detroit outlawed arson in 1994. I guess they thought it was bad for their image

in the early 1970s, the vandalism escalated to more devastating acts, such as arson.

... property owners unable to sell in the city's rapidly declining housing market would use Devil's Night as an opportunity to burn down their homes, collect the insurance money, and claim that an arsonist was at fault.

By the early 1990s, Detroit saw little decline in Devil's Night arson. After a brutal Devil's Night in 1994, then-mayor Dennis Archer promised city residents arson would not be tolerated. In 1995, Detroit city officials organized and created Angel's Night on and around October 29–31. Each year as many as 50,000 volunteers gather to patrol neighborhoods.

Devils Night Detroit

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   

It's not really an epedemic though. Crack and heroin never really hit English ghettos like they did in America.

upload.wikimedia.org...

Hola Nada,

We are talking about Detroit Michigan USA, right? But you might have a point. Crack and heroin are really old school drugs (of course we still love them, especially heroin) but they are the past yes? (please tell me yes!)

Meth is not only where it's at, but it is where it is and (unfortunatley) wher it is.

Good nite.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Segador
I wish I had that entire library to myself.

Can I have that grand piano in the Presbyterian church?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by skitzspiricy
reply to post by majesticgent

I remember coming across this video and others on youtube a good few months ago. My jaw hit the floor to see this once thriving City so desolate and decaying in a first world country.

Buildings, especially derelict(sp), don't age well.

As somebody else said, these buildings should be removed from the ground up. The place would look much better for some trees and greenery. I'm sure it would give people a little more hope to just see something being done. The problem is half this land is owned, you can't just go in and started tearing everything down, it's owned by suits who won't allow them.

Most people in Detroit feel neglected and left to rot. If the larger government took even a little initiative they could make some positive changes. But the truth is the people of Detroit HAVE been left to rot, it's really no surprise that its only getting worse and worse.

I alluded to it earlier, all those who could make positive changes have fleed and are continueing to flee the place. It's easier to 'evacuate' as it were. It's like in any town or area, when the going gets tough, people f/ck off. It's too hard to stick it out and adress issues.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieWoof

upload.wikimedia.org...

Hola Nada,

We are talking about Detroit Michigan USA, right? But you might have a point. Crack and heroin are really old school drugs (of course we still love them, especially heroin) but they are the past yes? (please tell me yes!)

Meth is not only where it's at, but it is where it is and (unfortunatley) wher it is.

Good nite.

A few years ago I'd say yes, now I'd say no. Ever since the war there's far more heroin on British streets

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Detroit homes sell for $1 amid mortgage and car industry crisis

Houses on sale for a few dollars are something of an urban legend in the US on the back of the mortgage crisis that drove millions of people from their homes. But in Detroit it is no myth.

One in five houses now stand empty in the city that launched the automobile age, forged America's middle-class and blessed the world with Motown.

Detroit has been in decline for decades; its falling population is now well below a million – half of its 1950 peak. But the recent mortgage crisis and the fall of the big car makers into bankruptcy has pushed the town into a realm unique among big cities in America.

Detroit homes sell for $1 amid mortgage and car industry crisis

Here is a thread i did a while ago about detroit
Maybe have a look, some people posted some more interesting background information in there.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
so robocop was right. that movie has had more predictions come true than some of the best clairvoyants of all time.

ocp is now poised to take over.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
They should just put a wall around Detroit and turn it into a giant prison.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join