It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit in ruins

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

It sort of seems like a blank canvas for small businesses to form. Small independent shops supplying the goods for people to rebuild and services to support small communities. I wonder what obscure regeneration and business start-up grants could be obtained considering the current state of Detroit.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Coming soon to a city or town near you! This is the future folks and it is here now. We have normalcy Bias; as long as things seem relatively normal to what we are used to and things like this are not happening to us or near us there is nothing to worry about and the problems will straighten out soon.

I don"t know how to get it going and I have tried many times and finally sort of given it up but I wish we could get a massive movement going for sustainable communities.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Detroit is a crap hole..

I went there about 7 years ago..

My buddy took me to not the worse part, (didn't want to take the chance) but a part that
was pretty bad, hookers all over, drug dealers, it was straight
from a hollywood movie....

THIS IS REAL PEOPLE!!!

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by LarryLove
reply to post by brill

It sort of seems like a blank canvas for small businesses to form. Small independent shops supplying the goods for people to rebuild and services to support small communities. I wonder what obscure regeneration and business start-up grants could be obtained considering the current state of Detroit.

The problem is there is to many government hoops to jump through and fees and taxes regulations etc. etc. or it would not have ended up this way in the first place.

Do you know how many businesses would spring up overnight of government butted out?
edit on 1-1-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I'm real sorrowful about this. This kind of thing is a sign of the sickness in our world here. Just another symptom. I wouldn't wish this on anyone at all.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

But what if groups of people decided to make it their home. Spread the word and communities start to develop. I don't know, I guess I am playing around with romantic ideas.

Anyhow, I'd love to explore and photograph Detroit and its people.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Here are some pictures from my personal files taken while driving around working in detroit
barbed wire in the front yard

stolen truck driven into the Brennan pools

Empty building on Fenkell in "Brightmoor"

same building

Need a ride to visit your loved one in prison??

What your car will look like when you wake up

Church near joy rd and evergreen

Second to last house on the block

edit on 1-1-2011 by ANOMALY502 because: more pics

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOMALY502

Sir, if you live there go as fast as you can and

GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE!!!!
edit on 1-1-2011 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by thecinic

Uhm no, contrary to popular belief the city still pays me every two weeks

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Sorry, I can't help but be unfeeling about this. The people did it, and continue to live in it. If they have no pride as a person and choose to live in squalor, hey, it's up to them. Ever wonder why we have ghettos to begin with, these people right here are the answer.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
That paycheck wont do you any good dead..

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I just left the Detroit area a few days ago, thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

The place is an absolute garbage dump. Abandoned and crumbling buildings, trash littering the grass and streets, graffiti on buildings and overpasses... the list goes on and on. And although these pictures and videos do highlight the disgrace that Detroit is, they really still do not do it justice. It is something you have to personally witness to get the full effect.

Take this picture for example:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b77b311e1082.jpg[/atsimg]

This is a building that is conveniently located at the intersection of the major freeways Interstate 75 and Interstate 94. This is what people see when they are coming into or leaving Detroit on I-75 or driving past Detroit on I-94. Thousands of people see this embarrassing thing every day! What kind of an example of your city do you set when you allow something like this to greet people?

Oh, and just a heads up for those of you who may be risking your lives to travel to Detroit, if you happen to find yourselves on I-75 in the Melvindale area, take a look to your left if you are just arriving in Detroit or your right if you have realized the error of your ways and are leaving. There you will see the Marathon Petroleum Refinery. The billowing clouds of smoke rising from the disgusting looking smokestacks along with the view of Detroit either in your windshield or rear-view mirror really does seal the whole experience for you.

The only decent areas of the city are the Renaissance Center, Ford Field, and Comerica Park. Everything else is an absolute disaster. Overall, Detroit is a very pathetic place that would be better off as the target of a nuclear attack. The citizens are very uneducated and continue to elect mayors who then rob the city of what little revenue it generates simply because they are black. No one likes to talk about it or admit it, but THAT my friends is why Detroit is the way it is.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
As hated as Michael Moore is, he has been talking about this for years,
trying to get people aware of this in Detroit, illuminating it in his films.

It is a tragic and real situation,

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by thecinic

Im the one picking up the dead bodies, My first homicide scene was in 1996 and I have been to hundreds since

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

I would NOT make my family live in that crap hole no matter how much they paid me!!!

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by PETROLCOIN

First... Thanks for the pic and details...

However,

Uhm.... The mayors of Chicago have been white and corruption is rampant there as well...

What's your point?

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
Uhm.... The mayors of Chicago have been white and corruption is rampant there as well...

What's your point?

And Chicago is mostly white.

I take it by the tone of your question that you are trying to imply I am making a racist observation. You would be incorrect on that. I am making a realistic observation.

When you elect people based on characteristics that have NOTHING to do with their policies and do NOTHING to correct the situation when they take advantage of you, Detroit is a fine example of the consequences.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecinic

I would NOT make my family live in that crap hole no matter how much they paid me!!!

I moved out years ago when the residency rule was lifted. If you venture into Detroit you are truly on your own, the Fire and EMS are shortstaffed, and dont get me started about where I work (Police) Do a quick search on Detroit EMS and you will find numerous stories about it. The Police calls are always backlogged also.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
Sorry, I can't help but be unfeeling about this. The people did it, and continue to live in it. If they have no pride as a person and choose to live in squalor, hey, it's up to them. Ever wonder why we have ghettos to begin with, these people right here are the answer.

Nothing personal, but your comment shows how little you know. I always hear people say this about the ghetto, the reservations, and the third world countries. In the past it would make me mad that people could know so little, but now I only shake my head. These places did not become #ty because everybody got lazy, and decided the don't want to keep their community up. It is hard to stand up when someone has their proverbial foot on your neck. Derision for the unfortunate situations of the world show how little people actually know of it. If you have lived a happy little middle class life, and never had to live through hardship I guess you are blinded by it.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Well now that makes sense!

I just could not imagine someone keeping a family there if they did not have to.
Your pictures show a grim, a very grim reality....

My rents use to live in Detroit and would tell me how if the police had a dead body
(gang related) and it was on the line of there jurisdiction they would move the body
over so they didn't have to deal with it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join