It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit in ruins

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by starviego

What you call gains, most honest people would call extortion. You seem to not be aware of the Automobile Workers Contracts since the "80's"?

Wages drive more businesses to move to other countries, not taxes or regulation. On that I don't agree. You can avoid taxes by reinvestment, you can't avoid Union Workers being paid two and three times what they should be paid.

On top of that, when you have those obscene Union Wages, you see places like NYC where it drove the cost of living so high, you have to earn three times what you do other places just to survive. The workers gain nothing under those circumstances.

You should look into places where this has not occurred. Ironically those area's are the ones least affected by the recent economic decline. Alaska has seen little impact. North Dakota is doing well. Texas is doing well. The more Unionized and Progressive an area is, the worse shape it's economy is in right now. Those are simple facts, not conjecture. All the worst hit areas have two things in common; a strong Union presence and a Progressive leaning government.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Reminds me of Gary Indiana, on a much larger scale!

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Do you know what wages are in Alaska, a labor or skilled trade are quite a bit higher than in say Detroit.
Do you know why thing are good in North Dakato , Oil they made one big hit and are expecting another hit as big or bigger. They are having to do all kinds of construction, because the oil calls for it, a boom.
What about Kansas City or Nothern Oklalhoma, why are they doing so good, it would be hard to tell there was even a recession in those areas, Why?

I live in Detroit, born and raised, it's not that bad here, they have plans to consoladate most of Detroit to put in Green areas and Farms. It is the intent of the City to become self reliant to an extent. I'm a white boy too, if that matters it matters more to others not me, that much. There is a lot of people from south of the Border here, and I don't just mean Mexico. The Mexicans seem to go and try and fix up the houses, I don't believe they use copper water pipes though.

If you go to some of those steel towns back East, you see the same thing.

In the Future you will not even see these homes on the surface of the Earth, most everyone will be Subteranean, it will only be logical after we get hit with the first severe Solar storms. Those rebuilding will see the futility of building above ground and waiting for the next hit.

I don't believe there is any reason to worry about a Gamma Blast, from the center of the Galaxy in 2012, the real worry is the Sun, as NASA says, and is well informed so it seems.
If you wonder why I say there is no Gamma Burst, coming from the center of the Milky Way, think about.

Yes I am making plans to go under ground, save energy, wearther proof, nuclear bomb proof, solar storm proof.
I'm going to use concrete slipforms, precast concrete floors with cocrete dome roof. 5 PSI will hold up 720 pounds per square foot of concrete roof, steel reinforced.
That's on thing the Nazi's found out concrete dome is strongest structure, and easiest to repair.

I need some hills though, so I'm will have to move out of Detroit it seems

Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang BANG

edit on 2-1-2011 by googolplex because: cess

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I think you have it wrong these aren't pictures of an American city at all.

They are photos of Baghdad just before an invading army sacked it during one of the crusades.

------------------------------

St. Cyrils

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cc5f2b577d76.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d157b3a02010.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ef8f0dc743b2.jpg[/atsimg]

www.forgottendetroit.com...

------------------------------

Lee Plaza Hotel

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d23d055d4ec8.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cf50102088d2.jpg[/atsimg]

www.forgottendetroit.com...
edit on 2-1-2011 by In nothing we trust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by LarryLove
reply to post by brill

It sort of seems like a blank canvas for small businesses to form. Small independent shops supplying the goods for people to rebuild and services to support small communities. I wonder what obscure regeneration and business start-up grants could be obtained considering the current state of Detroit.

You just don't grasp the depth of the problem...... Large business won't locate in Detroit proper. A small shop that sets up in one of the really bad areas will just get consumed. There are a LOT of really bad areas too. In my old neighborhood, even the McDonalds couldn't make enough profit to stay open. My whole neighborhood where I grew up at Mcnichols and Mound looks worse than some 3rd world countries. I hope Detroit can rescue itself, but I think it will be a vain attempt. Most of the City is just too far gone to be habitable in the ordinary modern city way.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Every mayor since 1962 has been a DNC lackey.. lol.. hows that party loyalty working out? party leaders come through as promised eh?

Although dude lost all credibility with his "liberal" Vs "conservative" mantra chanting.. hinting as if electing GOP clowns would have made a bit of difference.

Americans are definitely, imo, the biggest supports of chronic lying failures and violent exporting political partys since 1930s Germans.

1930s Germans who suggested a dear party leader burned down his own congress as a pretext to start wars.. were denounced as "conspiracy theorists" lacking patriotism... then came the "enabling act" which mirrors the PATRIOT act, legalization / justification of torture, kidnapping, exporting violence & maintaining occupations.. all necessary evils to protect the fath..er..homeland against scary strangers politicians labeled as terrorists, enemies of the state.

If only 1930s Germans stood up to that a hole sociopath liar political party leader.. If betting were legal, I'd wager a few folks in Iraq, Afghanistan and Waziristan are wondering why party loyalists in the US don't stand up to unnecessary wars, torture, indefinite detention absent due process, and allowing politicians, not courts, to hand out extrajudicial guilty verdicts & death sentences... things that go against all those virtues GOP & DNC party leaders claim anoints them with "moral authority" to tell foreigners how to behave.

If only the people of Detoilet has stood up and rejected their party for independent thought..

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Oh,Dearborn. A city next to Detroit. It's rebuilding. Cool!

Yeah, let people alone and they will find a way to recover.

Give Detroit a chance and don't write it off! The Dearborn folks are beginning to expand, and create jobs.

Yep, Arabs doing this. Gasp!!!! Don't worry, though. These are Christian Arabs. You don't need to fear these folks, They don't want to kill us all "because of our freedoms". They are just people who want to create safe places to live and raise families. Sure they are going to hire family members first. Duh! But they are expanding their businesses, and hiring other folks. Soon the tentacles of their businesses will reach into Detroit

Last years Miss America was from Michigan and was a proclaimed Arab. She is pretty! Whether someone is "pretty" or not., let's just celebrate everyone who doesn't express hate.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Disposable. The second video really solidifies the concept. This urban decay is really disposability staring us back in the face. It's a scale much larger than our whimsical purchases, garage hording and weekly curb-side purges. This is what disposability looks like when it encompasses everything, not just little artifacts of insignificance.

No, Detroit is what it looks like when society itself is disposable. The whole social structure of that city disintegrated from globalization, as other posters mentioned. The jobs themselves became disposable. However, since jobs are nothing more than metanymies for real human beings in their context - their way of life, then this is really a case of throw-away people. The vestiges of that society are the rotting and eroding material culture, doing just what it always was designed to do: break down and reintegrate. The plants come up, the wild returns, and how quickly!

Detroit is what happens when the little cracks and fissures that are all around us in this disposable society come together in one place at one time so violently and vividly. If you choose any one causation or product in those images, you can find it anywhere in your own life, wherever you may live. Finding all of them together would mean you are in Detroit or some other such place.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I can see you not feeling about the people responsible but what about the people caught up in it? Did the old lady in the video who bought her house before it went to crap choose to live in squalor? Imagine your neighborhood turned upside down. It happened to my family in back in the 70's. Perfect neighborhood turned into a nightmare within 1 year while I was in elementary school. Exactly like in the videos.

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
Sorry, I can't help but be unfeeling about this. The people did it, and continue to live in it. If they have no pride as a person and choose to live in squalor, hey, it's up to them. Ever wonder why we have ghettos to begin with, these people right here are the answer.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

Those Iraq's own just about every liquor store and gas station in Detroit now.
In Dearborn, most of thos Arab's I see are Islam, and have Mosques in Dearborn and have those thing going off in the middle of the day for call to worship or what ever it is, and those Arab's in Dearborn scare me more than the Mexican or Black's in Detroit.

I remember when they tried to keep the Blacks out of Dearborn, now the Arab's chased everyone out.
Dearborn use to be considered kind of classie, I went to a mall there a few years back with my daughter and never again, gangs of Arab punks running rampant in the mall.
Oh yea if you look at one of their women watch out, I know a guy went to Kiwate, the guy said he looked at his women and they whipped him in the street.

I saw in Iraq though they just rape the girls and kill the whole family, I guess that cuts down on the complaints and the being whipped part.
edit on 3-1-2011 by googolplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sphota

The jobs themselves became disposable. However, since jobs are nothing more than metanymies for real human beings in their context - their way of life, then this is really a case of throw-away people.

In SimCity 4 sims keep a job for life. If you blow up thier place of employment, to make way for a new road or a brothel or something, they go back home and wait for you to produce another job for them.

Maybe Simcity 5 will incorporate civil unrest and warfare with neighboring cities into it.

edit on 3-1-2011 by In nothing we trust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust

Originally posted by archasama

If it was near my home I would totally take some of those books from library and piano too.

I bet theres a ton of stuff laying around Detroit you could scavenge and hawk on Ebay or in a scrapyard.

Think theres any copper pipes in those buildings?

If you do get caught taking copper or what ever out of those buildings you could wind up in jail, some of these buildings are still owned buy some one, some of the factories could still be used if you go in and wreck things you you do a 100,000 dollars worth of damage, just for a few bucks in scrap.
They will arrest you, and you do need a license to scrap in detroit and need a bond, the cops hang around at the scrap yards wating for the theifs.

I know one guy bought a building in Detroit, really several guys that bought buildings for a few grand and I know one is insured for about 3/4 of a million right now,

Most the time you don't see things that are worth anything, like those books must be junk or I'm sure some one would have taken them.
Don't think the people in these areas of Detroit don't know what's going on, if it's not got, there is a reason.
They will steal just about any thing even if it is tied down, or in your hand and your using it, if your sleeping in your house they will be stealing the aluminum siding off the side of your house, sometimes in broad daylight.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by googolplex

Originally posted by In nothing we trust

Originally posted by archasama

If it was near my home I would totally take some of those books from library and piano too.

I bet theres a ton of stuff laying around Detroit you could scavenge and hawk on Ebay or in a scrapyard.

Think theres any copper pipes in those buildings?

If you do get caught taking copper or what ever out of those buildings you could wind up in jail, some of these buildings are still owned buy some one, some of the factories could still be used if you go in and wreck things you you do a 100,000 dollars worth of damage, just for a few bucks in scrap.

They will arrest you, and you do need a license to scrap in detroit and need a bond, the cops hang around at the scrap yards wating for the theifs.

No doubt

Buy yer bond, get licensed, pay your tax, get your insurance, get your permits, do your due diligence, find your supplers, find your buyers, get your legal advice, do your paperwork, fill out your forms, hire you're employees, fill out their paperwork and send in thier tax, keep it all going and look over both shoulders anyways

edit on 3-1-2011 by In nothing we trust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

You miss the point you have to do most of that stuff, you buy the building of a few thousand then insura it for repalcement cost.
Then if your a real crook you do like those guys in Chicogo and hire a couple Firemen to burn it down, you want to always hire the pros. Only thing those guys in Chicogo sold the buildings back and forth a few times to get the insurance price up even hgiher, the big misstake they made though is they were not concerned that people were living in the buildings.

No really I got rid of my 5 ton dump truck, the cops just will not leave you alone, they want med card, dot sticker, at least class C lic. insurance, bond, check your load.
I have builder Lic, I don't need scrap Lic. and I found you get one of those U-Haul Trucks $19.95 a day don't need alll that, and just regular Lic, but the cop still stop me, he want to know why I had caution on my Lic check. He ask if I was a felon and I said no. He ask why I was nervous, I said I was I just hyper.
I wonder if that caution will interfer with my getting my CCW, now you have to get that one, I went to the cop shop and they gave me a pistol permit no problem.

Pow Pow Pow pow bang bang bang

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65

Did I say it was easy? Did I? How about backing up, finding that line in my post, and quoting it here? Go ahead, we're all waiting.

If it is not easy, then why are you so quick to judge others?

Skullduggery? Yeah, of course, all white people cheated their way to success. Give me a break!

Feeling a little guilty? All I am suggesting is that to get ahead, by definition you have to step on others. I have many times in my lifetime, unfortunately, and in all probability so have you, and your granpappy. I said nothing about "white people, care to quote me where i said that?

Nah, they just worked hard on farms and businesses, lost a lot in the depression, got wounded and killed in wars. Minor things like that.

Exactly my point. They gave life and limb, and paid their whole life to promote a corporate state. Stolen from in the Depression, killed in The Big One. The quintessential American. People like this should be the first to rise against the Beast, not support it.

Did I spout pro corporate beliefs? Hmmm....must be like that quote where I said it was easy. So, you have two chores to do: Find the quote where I said it would be easy, and one where I was "spouting pro corporate beliefs".

Whether you know it or not, everything you say sounds like pro corporate crap. Anti-worker, anti-middle class, pro big business. WAKE UP! YOU HAVE BEEN SCREWED! QUIT HELPING THEM!

Whatever. Wait, "Rich" I get it! That was a funny pun!!

Compared to alot of the world YOU ARE RICH. And what the Corporatocracy wants is for YOU TO BE LEVEL WITH A THIRD WORLD WORKER. That means, a DIVE in YOUR lifestyle.....AND PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE HELPING THEM MAKE IT HAPPEN.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Some thoughts on all of this:
- how beautiful it once was. There surely had to be a lot of money floating around for there to have been so many extraordinary homes, neighbourhoods, parks, highrises and entertainment palaces built all over the town.
- Most of my prime young adult-hood was spent soaking up the spirit of the place -- I have been to many cities in this hemisphere, but none have ever had such a strong sense of soul or some sort of energy that welcomed you as surely as would your favourite aunt.
- I don't think she's dead yet. Tho weakened, she still welcomes the young who are re-discovering her once more.

I am afraid to go visit her anymore, mostly because of the bad news on the MSM. The natzi's on the international border are scary enough by themselves to ruin the spirit of adventure and weaken the will to even bother.

But Detroit, I savour the memories we had together. You may never be the darling of the super rich again, but you will transform into something better, something that features that good soul bolder and brighter now that the soot, corruption and big money is gone elsewhere. I will come back and visit, one day, I promise.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
The Germanic immigrants that came to America made us big and strong.

Then all the other immigrants wanted $$$ for nothing and legislated areas of America into the ground as they stole money from people who worked.

Latino America will never make America big and strong, look at Mexico.

Arab America will never make America big and strong. They were brought here under the thought they were going to make something for themselves but in all reality they were brought here to justify getting all the energy resources from Arab countries.

All that energy is being wasted, the melting pot will never melt and eventually a holocaust will errupt as the different sects fight each other.

The smart Germanic Immigrants put their eggs offshore ready to get the heck out of dodge. They saw the lie.

Detroit will never be raised back into a prosperous city ever again. Dearborn's temporary re-rising will collapse and they will look exactly like Detroit in 25 years. Likely even worse. Those Arabs who are pocketing Billions in America right now will flee back to their home countries after the Crude Oil wars are over when the oil wells run dry. Leaving America pennyless and all looking like Detroit. Maybe DOD will have to quarantine the country to keep everyone from fleeing....that would just speed up the inevitable though. Full blown national collapse.

Looking back, maybe the Socialist Democrats shouldn't have screwed the Germanic Immigrants who made America strong in the first place. They came, they will leave.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
What will probably go unmentioned is that Detroit is not just a victim of globalization, but also a victim of rampant leftwing ideology. Liberalism destroyed Detroit. They have had a succession of socialist Mayors that have driven all business out of the city. Take away the jobs, add government dependency and you get a bit moral problem. It's a tried and true formula used the world over.

whiskeyandgunpowder.com...

This is the elites and world socialists plan for our future. The end result is that we will either be dead or slaves.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by old_god

yes.. I would certain agree with you on this .. ~!! I just couldn't believe of all institutions in America, the Library. would just LEAVE shelves and shelves of books.. ?? ~!!!
I mean seriously, I 'thought' they would be REQUIRED to pick it ALL up before they moved.. but.. the only reason I could possibly fathom would be the new building isn't as big as the old one..

I dunno .. just brings a chill to my spine..

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

Originally posted by FarArcher
And for this ruin, to a large degree due to the decline of the US auto and steel industry, I'd like to extend my personal thanks to unions.

You union-ed yourselves right out of jobs.

Congratulations.

it wasn't just the unions,
it was free trade agreements
with other countries.

Like in Other parts of Michigan Say.. Flint

(Movie)
Rodger & Me
dogeatdog.michaelmoore.com...

The film shows that GM has used these profits not to create jobs, but to buy data processing companies (EDS) and weapons manufacturers (Hughes Aircraft), automate their current assembly lines, and build new plants in Mexico and Asia. In addition, GM has bought a controlling interest in Isuzu, entered into a joint operating agreeement with Toyota, and has become the second largest mortgage holder in the United States. Flint, Michigan, it seems, is no longer part of the GM plan.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join