It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Activity Watch 2011

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

Ah, so what in effect you are saying is that even at KP=2 there can be auroras but just much further North.

If you happened to have that map for the other part of the world where there be dragons I would appreciate it.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   

AURORA BOREALIS: Earth's magnetic field is mostly quiet. Nevertheless, some bright auroras were caught swirling around the Arctic Circle on Jan. 28th. Military satellites photographed the lights from above, while sky watchers in Canada saw them from ground level. An even bigger display is expected on Feb. 3-4 when an incoming solar wind stream reaches Earth.

www.spaceweather.com...

DOUBLE ERUPTION: Jan. 28th began with not one but two major eruptions on the sun. Separated by more than a million kilometers, the two blasts occurred almost simultaneously on opposite corners of the solar disk. Click on the image to view a movie recorded by NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory:

A doughnut-shaped coronal hole is emerging over the eastern limb. Credit: SDO/AIA.
Sunspots 1150 and 1151 pose little threat for strong flares. Credit: SDO/HMI

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
"GEOMAGNETIC STORM WATCH: NOAA forecasters estimate a 60% chance of polar geomagnetic storms on Feb. 3rd. They say a high-speed solar wind stream and a CME could hit Earth's magnetic field on Wednesday--a double whammy almost certain to spark some degree of geomagnetic activity. High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras"

Spaceweather

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

This source has some Epic Images of the Southern Ocean and Antartica, I have been watching this dryer air being pushed up too South Australia's bite so fast that its visable on the national radar loop, looks epic

www.bom.gov.au...

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Hey PM!

I looked and looked, and I could not find one for your region of dragons. Sorry

edit on 8-2-2011 by lasertaglover because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
This looks a bit interesting:

"ASTEROID FLYBY: Newly-discovered asteroid 2011 CA7 is going to fly past Earth on Feb. 9th only 63,000 miles away, or 1/4th the distance to the Moon. At closest approach around 1700 UT, the VW-Bug-sized space rock will zip through the constellation Orion glowing like a 17th magnitude star."

spaceweather.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
now thats a way to hide things

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dba3c9b1853a.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
The asteroid fly by is today - wish I could see it. Those of you with your eyes to the sky keep a
look out.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Spaceweather

DODGING PLASMA BULLETS: The remains of old sunspot complex 1147-1149 are rotating over the eastern limb today. Although the region is in an advanced state of decay, it's not dead yet. During the late hours of Feb. 11th, a plasma bullet came rocketing out of the region's unstable core. Watch the movie--but don't blink, because it's fast (21 MB Quicktime):

The eruption was not geoeffective. Earth's magnetic field will remain undisturbed as the 'bullet' sails wide-left of our planet over the weekend.

This region has been spitting plasma and crackling with flares since it first emerged more than a month ago on Jan. 10th. Remarkably, however, every eruption so far has missed Earth. Why? It's just luck: Most of the blasts occurred while AR1147-1149 was on the far side of the sun. Statistically speaking, a plasma bullet in our direction may be overdue. Stay tuned.

Percentage chance of M Flare - 20%

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Very interesting how the Xray Flux has this upward trend on the 13th. I have not ever seen this kind of thing before in the data.. When I was looking at lmsal just a second ago I noticed it. It probably has to do with the "bullet" but something tells me to check into some archived data..

lmsal solar soft latest events - (xray flux is the first two green lines of data at the top)

I will post an actual static photo of this one later, as the image updates itself every couple hours or so. This is the main plot for NOAA SWPC GOES X-ray Flux 5 Minute Data

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Well, it looks like we have had an M-class flare from 1158. Not really surprised either as the region was sparking off C flares like crazy beforehand.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/05fefefe0cf0.gif[/atsimg]

SWPC warnings timeline This is a helpful site to know when something significant has happened. Clicking the events on the chart tells you more about the event in question.

I will check out more on this as for what we might expect here on earth aside from the radio blackouts we already had.

edit on 13-2-2011 by rbkruspe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by rbkruspe

The Sun is a little bit more active than it has been lately, with 5 Sunspots facing us right now. We also do have a 20% chance of M-class flares over the next 48 hours.

I just don't see how the plasma bullet could have an impact on this as it erupted on the 11th, and was not earth-directed.

I am just an ametuer observer, so I am not really sure what is affecting those graphs, but I just don't think it was the plasma from the 11th. I think it might have something to do with the sunspots right now.

Good links, and definitely curious.
edit on 13-2-2011 by lasertaglover because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Looks like we are set for some activity!

BEHEMOTH SUNSPOT 1158: Sunspot 1158 is growing rapidly (48 hour movie) and crackling with C-class solar flares. The active region is now more than 100,000 km wide with at least a dozen Earth-sized dark cores scattered beneath its unstable magnetic canopy. Earth-directed eruptions are likely in the hours ahead.

www.spaceweather.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

BEHEMOTH SUNSPOT 1158: Sunspot 1158 is growing rapidly and crackling with C-class solar flares. The active region is now more than 100,000 km wide with at least a dozen Earth-sized dark cores scattered beneath its unstable magnetic canopy. Earth-directed eruptions are likely in the hours ahead.

www.spaceweather.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by logicalview

Great minds think alike.

Snap!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by logicalview

Definitely!

1158 is especially looking interesting:

spaceweather.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Ok, SDO is now saying that a M-class eruption did take place today:

"A M6.6 solar flare has just occurred, peaking at 17:38 UT on Feb 13. This is the largest solar flare so fare from this solar cycle based on X-ray irradiance magnitude"
sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov...

I think we are all thinking along the same lines here

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Wonder when spaceweather will catch up with the rest of us.. they are quite slow.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by rbkruspe

Star my friend, I agree completely!

They are rather slow today, eh?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by rbkruspe
Wonder when spaceweather will catch up with the rest of us.. they are quite slow.

Its there now

Yes a little slow, but there in the end.

SOLAR FLARE: Sunspot 1158 has just unleashed the strongest solar flare of the year, an M6.6-category blast @ 1738 UT on Feb. 13th. The eruption appears to have launched a coronal mass ejection (CME) toward Earth. It also produced a loud blast of radio emissions heard in shortwave receivers around the dayside of our planet. Stay tuned for updates!

www.spaceweather.com...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join