It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Activity Watch 2011

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

This looks like a pretty big one and I just saw them mentioning it on the news, saying communication could be effected.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Looks like we got hit by an M-Class

Cygnet Streamer

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

INCOMING CME: A CME is heading for Earth. It left the sun on Nov. 9th when a magnetic filament in the vicinity of sunspot complex 1342-1343 erupted. The M1-class explosion hurled a bright cloud of plasma into space, shown here in a movie from the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory
[url=http://]

Spaceweather.com
edit on 11-11-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
WOW:

"GREAT FILAMENT: It's one of the biggest things in the entire solar system. A dark filament of magnetism measuring more than 800,000 km from end to end is sprawled diagonally across the face of the sun"

and I hope it doesn't:

"If the filament becomes unstable, as solar filaments are prone to do, it could collapse and hit the stellar surface below, triggering a Hyder flare. Indeed, part of the filament already erupted on Nov. 16th, but Earth was not in the line of fire when the twisted lines of magnetism snapped. A similar event today would likely be geoeffective because of the filament's central location on the solar disk."

spaceweather.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

Holy crap!!!:

spaceweather.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Thanks for info - let's hope it
remains quiet while facing earth.
With so much going on now world
wide it wouldn't be a good
time to loose communications
from a huge flare.

That certainly is one huge filament -
are there records for one this large
in the past?

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

No idea, but I'll try to look it up.

It is amazingly huge

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I reviewed the movie on this web site and it's showing a rather disturbed north - south directional filament, another magnetic filament? it appears to be roiling with violent activity...

anyone see what I'm referring to?

Also looks like we got an incoming halo cme launched on 11/ 10 and continues spreading out throughout 11/ 11. It just keeps flowing since 11/ 10 and all of 11/ 11.... wow....

Watched it on the lasco c3 with dates at 20111110 20111111

edit on 17-11-2011 by Heyyo_yoyo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by lasertaglover

Holy crap!!!:

spaceweather.com...

That filament appears to be creating an entire string of nasty sunspots behind it does it not?

that other filament I was asking about is manifesting itself on the far horizon, center, running north - south, incoming. Another magnetic filament??!

Here's a shot from the other site:

Far left: filament. Above the suspected new filament, north horizon, appears to be what I can only explain as a solar volcano... it's a peak of plasma, and it isn't shrinking. It appears in this image like a bright mountain, see it?
edit on 17-11-2011 by Heyyo_yoyo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
This spot might bear some watching. It launched some stuff before it rotated into view, but it is only alpha at this time. Guess it is an angry alpha? Sorry, bad joke and no coffee yet. But I do wonder how it launched all this craziness while fairly stable.

Anyway, from Space Weather:

"ACTIVE SUNSPOT: A new sunspot (image) has emerged over the sun's NE limb and it could bring an uptick in solar activity. On Nov. 18th, the active region hurled a bright CME toward Venus, and on Nov. 19th it produced the following eruption, recorded by the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory...." (see link for vid, it is wild to see)

spaceweather.com...

Here is the link for a pic of 1355:
spaceweather.com...

and the latest from noaa:
www.swpc.noaa.gov...

and rather than add another post, I thought I'd just edit and add this bit I just found. Odd that SpaceWeather did not mention this. I go to this site mostly for the data that is updated in one spot on there, but I have found there updates to be a bit more detailed, and occasionaly, like today, they have news that SpaceWeather misses. The site asks for donations, but it is not required at all to visit it.

Anyway, here:

Coronal Mass Ejection (CME):
A possible filament eruption in the northwest quadrant on Sunday generated a slow moving Coronal Mass Ejection. In the initial STEREO Ahead COR2 movie below, it appeared to have an Earth directed component, however when watching the new Lasco C2 movie it looks to be directed away from Earth.
www.solarham.com...
edit on 21-11-2011 by lasertaglover because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Odd that SpaceWeather did not mention this.

SpaceWeather can be pretty slow on the uptake. I've also found that the editorial content tends to be a bit on the dramatic side. I much prefer the sources which actually provide the data and forecasts which SpaceWeather "uses".

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

reply to post by crazydaisy

No idea, but I'll try to look it up.

It is amazingly huge

It's too bad we don't have a computer modeling program that forecasts sunspots.

---------
We do however have pretty good weather forecasting models for storm fronts/hurricanes
for here on Earth.

Hmmm......how hard could it be?

Weather on the Earth --- Weather on the sun

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
That's one angry looking Sun

Have never seen it like that!

sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Yes, we are moving toward solar maximum.
Eight sunspot regions but they all quite stable and not particularly large.
sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov...
www.swpc.noaa.gov...
edit on 11/28/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Really??? Wow!!!! Read this from SpaceWeather this morning:

"A line of sunspots stretching across the sun's northern hemisphere appears to be an independent sequence of dark cores. A telescope tuned to the red glow of solar hydrogen, however, reveals something different. The sunspots are connected by sinuous filaments of magnetism:.... (pic here)"

and

"....The connections suggest an interesting possibility. While each sunspot individually poses little threat for strong solar flares, an instability in one could start a chain reaction involving all, leading to a widespread eruption."

www.spaceweather.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Really??? Wow!!!! Read this from SpaceWeather this morning:

"A line of sunspots stretching across the sun's northern hemisphere appears to be an independent sequence of dark cores. A telescope tuned to the red glow of solar hydrogen, however, reveals something different. The sunspots are connected by sinuous filaments of magnetism:.... (pic here)"

and

"....The connections suggest an interesting possibility. While each sunspot individually poses little threat for strong solar flares, an instability in one could start a chain reaction involving all, leading to a widespread eruption."

www.spaceweather.com...

What a haunting read, thank you! It goes to show how little knowledge we have with regards to the Sun's erratic activity.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by murkraz

The pic showing the magnetic connection is so cool I thought I would post it here:

spaceweather.com...

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Earth's magnetosphere is showing high activity but what's the source?

November 29 - December 1: No obviously Earth directed CMEs observed.

Real-time Magnetosphere
edit on 2/12/11 by murkraz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Massive active filament and region 1366 coming into view.

edit on 12/12/11 by murkraz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32 >>

join