It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Activity Watch 2011

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by intergalactic fire

I suppose you're referring to the GOES satellite x-ray plots.

The two colors represent different x-ray frequency bands. The red are the longer, less energetic wavelengths (1.0-8.0 angstroms, "soft" x-rays).

The vertical scale represents the power density (flux) of the x-rays. X-ray flares are classified by the soft x-ray output. Class M begins at 10e-5 watts per square centimeter. In other words, with an M class flare the power density is 100 microwatts per square centimeter. I was looking for the specs on medical x-ray machines for comparison but can't really find anything.

edit on 6/8/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

as of now im not quite sure if it missed us.

the sun seems to have pulled a curveball...

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

im out of my expertise here

but does this help?

www.health.vic.gov.au...

or

www.dhhs.tas.gov.au...

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by AnotherYOU

Not much help...not for me at least. Thanks though.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Ok, so the blue(shorter wavelenghts, higher density) is actually te most dangerous, if we are speaking of radiation?

So the blues
, as they are of higher frequency, they travel faster, thats why we see the blue curve first rise?

Could it be then that, the higher the frequency, the more possibility it would penetrate earth magnetic field and affect earth's ionosphere?
The longer wavelenghts are more easily bounced of?
I ask this because from yesterday i see an increase in electrons in the ionosphere, is this an effect of that?

sorry to bother you with all those questions, im just curious to learn and interesting in the whole solar, space, earth weather. But i like to know a bit more if i tell people there was a c-m-x flare(just like knowing what makes your car drive or what makes that light shine
)

Damn, i used to work for a company that made x-ray machines for industrial purpose, though i was deployed in another sector, some wavelenghts down at infrared level. i was always facinated when i saw them working. i will do some commerce with this link
edit on 8-6-2011 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Blue is higher energy radiation which mostly means more penetration of materials (soft x-rays can hardly penetrate anything).

X-rays, like all electromagnetic radiation, travel at the speed of light. That the hard x-rays hit the sensors first means they were emitted from the Sun first.

X-rays, like all electromagnetic radiation, are unaffected by the magnetosphere. But all x-rays are completely absorbed by the atmosphere long before they can be a threat to anyone but astronauts. That's why the sensors are on satellites. The x-rays don't make it to the surface.

The electron flux changes in response to a number of different things; different components of the solar wind, geomagnetic activity. It's of concern to satellite operations more than anything.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnotherYOU

as of now im not quite sure if it missed us.

the sun seems to have pulled a curveball...

She likes playing around...
Yes i just read some reports we could have minor to moderate effects.
I see your located in portugal, if something happens we can meet up somewhere

Im at the picos de europa

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to
edit on 8-6-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Blue is higher energy radiation which mostly means more penetration of materials (soft x-rays can hardly penetrate anything).

X-rays, like all electromagnetic radiation, travel at the speed of light. That the hard x-rays hit the sensors first means they were emitted from the Sun first.

But they always are emitted first then?what would be this cause?

X-rays, like all electromagnetic radiation, are unaffected by the magnetosphere. But all x-rays are completely absorbed by the atmosphere long before they can be a threat to anyone but astronauts. That's why the sensors are on satellites. The x-rays don't make it to the surface.

Auroras take place in the ionosphere, so the ionosphere absorbes all of the x-rays, so what rays penetrate through the whole atmosphere that affects our power grid? IS it a different type of rays or just a large density of x-rays?

The electron flux changes in response to a number of different things; different components of the solar wind, geomagnetic activity. It's of concern to satellite operations more than anything.

So the effects we see here on the ground are because of magnetic interferences?
Is there a difference if the particles are more positively or negatively charged?
Maybe would have more effect on earth's north or south pole

son.nasa.gov...
edit on 8-6-2011 by intergalactic fire because: add link

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   

But they always are emitted first then? what would be this cause?

I don't know.

Auroras take place in the ionosphere, so the ionosphere absorbes all of the x-rays, so what rays penetrate through the whole atmosphere that affects our power grid? IS it a different type of rays or just a large density of x-rays?

Auroral displays are not related to x-ray flares. They are related to the geomagnetic activity caused by CMEs. X-rays do not affect power grids.

So the effects we see here on the ground are because of magnetic interferences?
Is there a difference if the particles are more positively or negatively charged?
Maybe would have more effect on earth's north or south pole

Yes. The magnetic fluctuations induce electrical currents (power surges) in long conductors (power lines, pipelines). The type of particle doesn't have much effect on the level of activity or its location, protons and electrons are both guided toward both the poles by the Earth's magnetic field.

edit on 6/8/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Your YouTube was removed by user.
I found another one. They threw in rock and roll.

A little low and wide?
It sounds like our sun is throwing fast balls at us.

edit on 8-6-2011 by Eurisko2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Anybody have any details as for how this may affect us on earth that looked huge ..I'm not freaking out yet but it looks like there are more to come ,

Now according to this chart which clearly shows it is above the M and X M=moderate flare X =Large

So this is half way between the M and the X .. which means

Sun today-Solar Flare
www.tesis.lebedev.ru...

June 8, 2011

Magnetic storm of level G1 (minor) from 00:00 to 03:00 UT

www.tesis.lebedev.ru...

www.solar-storm-warning.com...

What could possibly happen???

beta.news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by NorthStargal52

All is well.
The big one won't hit Earth until 2012.
Until then just enjoy your broadband internet connection.

-----------------------
The last time we got hit was September 1859. It only took 18 hours to get here!
- CME Hits Earth September 1, 1859 -

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Latest GOES satellite x-ray data
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f190dbaf5d64.gif[/atsimg]
www.swpc.noaa.gov...

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
A new active region is coming into view on the NE limb, S1062. There are 6 sunspots in that region and has a beta configuration for the moment.
It has been producing some C-class flares in the past days. On june 15 around 22:00UTC there was a small M1.3 from this region, sunspot 1236.
I think we will have some more activity in the coming days with chance for some more M class flares.
Will be interesting to monitor as its a big spot and looks similar to the 1226
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/72b8514d4d5f.gif[/atsimg]
video of the m flare can be seen here and here
www.youtube.com...

edit on 14-6-2011 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Latest solar activity reports:
SIDC
Wed Jun 15 2011, 1235 UT

Catania region 10 (NOAA AR 1236) has produced an M1.3 flare peaking at 21:47 UT on June 14. This AR can produce more M-flares. A partial halo CME was seen leaving the Sun at 07:00 UT (LASCO-C2), the bulk of the ejection is directed towards the east, but a glancing blow to Earth could occur around June 17. The influence of the coronal hole related solar wind is decaying, with speeds below 500 km/s at present. Mostly unsettled geomagnetic conditions are expected.
Solar Terrestrial Activity Report

The geomagnetic field was quiet to unsettled on June 14. Solar wind speed ranged between 425 and 556 km/s under the influence of a high speed stream from CH455.
At midnight UTC the visible solar disk had 5 spotted regions.

Region 11234 developed slowly and was mostly quiet.
Region 11235 was quiet and stable.
New region 11236 rotated into view at the northeast limb on June 13 and was numbered the next day by NOAA/SWPC. The region is complex and has a weak magnetic delta structure in the southernmost penumbra. Further M class flaring is possible. Flares: C1.8 at 00:41, C2.2 at 11:29 and M1.3 at 21:47 UTC.

A partial halo CME was observed after 07h UTC following a large filament eruption in the southeastern quadrant.

The geomagnetic field is expected to be quiet to unsettled on June 15 due to effects from CH455. Effects from CH456 could reach Earth on June 16 and cause some unsettled intervals that day and on June 17.

Partial Halo CME CACTus and Lasco
and solar tsunami

edit on 15-6-2011 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e4b3c2bd7c9b.jpg[/atsimg]

All that black is not good.

Shutting down? ,,black as sackcloth?,, damn.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Just seen this on www.spaceweather.com...

HOW'S THE WEATHER? "Lately, the Sun has been behaving a bit strangely," write Lika Guhathakurtha (NASA) and Dan Baker (U. Colorado) on the opinions page of today's New York Times. In 2008-2009, solar activity plunged to a hundred-year low; and now that the sun is waking up again, no one is able to predict what will happen next next. "Will solar activity continue to be sluggish, or will solar storms return with pent-up vigor?" they ask. Good question!

Below is a link to the full article.

Link to full article

LATELY, the Sun has been behaving a bit strangely. In 2008 and 2009, it showed the least surface activity in nearly a century. Solar flare activity stopped cold and weeks and months went by without any sunspots, or areas of intense magnetism. Quiet spells are normal for the Sun, but researchers alive today had never seen anything like that two-year hibernation.

So now there is doubt as to what to expect during this solar maximum. Well with all the new ways to observe the sky/Sun we will keep finding out that this is different to that in my opinion. Just like weather on Earth.....very unpredictable sometimes!

edit on 18/6/11 by boo1981 because: Because i forgot to add my comment!!

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
The whole solar maximum thing intrigued me to go into more research.

Originally posted by NorthStargal52
Anybody have any details as for how this may affect us on earth that looked huge ..I'm not freaking out yet but it looks like there are more to come

There is a speculation about the effects of the solar burst are based on real proof by NASA - the solar flare started in 2001 is expected to be at maximum in the year 2013. This is where the speculation occurs, that this Solar Maximum will be nothing like before, it will be bigger and catastrophic. There is no proof or way to show that this maximum will be bigger than any previous, that's why it is a speculation.

Yet it is NASA that first claim, this may be a big flare, are they hiding some details about the Sun? To me this is a very possible and realistic threat nothing like the fairy tales of 2012. According to a documentay on History channel, this solar flare if bigger, might cause electricity shut down for a very long time - maybe months. Since drinking water is dependent on electricity (the plants that make the water clean use electricity) it would be a problem, the same goes for food also uses electricity to be preserved. According to some that would cause lots of deaths - well people have dealt fine without electricity, we can learn from our ancestors, we know how to make fire and wait a minute - we can produce electiricy! Water turbines if you know how to construct them yourself you can have your own source of electricity, so is shutting down the electricity going to be a problem for the living? Because it certainly will be for business and the global economy.

So in short, firstly it is not clear if the solar mixum will cause any effects, seconly shutting down electricty for a long time - have our predecessors not lived without electricity? And we have the knowledge how to produce it so it still puts us ahead. Thirdly - how would this affect people? Unless the solar storm burns and causes damage on the entire surface.

One thing to say, it is foolish to think we won't see more of the Earth's processes, the planet has its nature to change drastically in large periods of time, this period may be soon if the current disasters suggest processes. - Im curious, is there any real evidence this will be a larger flare and will definitely cause havoc? Does it mean there is some truth in the Mayan calendar, the talks about upcoming cataclysm that from asteroid, Nibiru seems to be most likely the Sun?
edit on 20-6-2011 by Imtor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Hello Solstice SUN! A little extra energy for all of us.

Coming our way:
iswa.gsfc.nasa.gov:8080...

www.spaceweather.com...

Regards and Nameste,

-Chung

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join