It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Largest Prison Strike In American History Goes Ignored By US Media

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by freedish
reply to post by zombiesC4

oh boo-hoo they took away your cigarettes....
Our prisoners get treated better than some citizens...
Have you seen the prisons in other countries?

I have seen the prison in other countries, I have even spent time in one for refusing military service, sure glad it wasn't in the US

Here's a link that shows how you rehabilitate criminals instead of making them more criminal

Bastøy Prison Norway

You can also just search for "bastoy prison" if you want.

Also you say that prisoners are threated better than citizens, then maybe the problem is that the citizens are not treated good enough, not that the prisoners are not treated bad enough?
edit on 2-1-2011 by SkurkNilsen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SkurkNilsen

watched a show last night, had this young skin head prisoner on. Like a documentary. His face was all covered in tattoo's of swastikas, etc. Literally covered. He was up for burglary. Of course...how do you hold a job when you look like that?

And when he was about to get out, he disarmed and killed a guard. Thus, he ensured his continued incarceration.

It isn't too bad, if you get in the system. No, it isn't what i would want. But once you are broken and institutionalized, it is just your way of life.

Saw the same when i worked in mental health. Tell this guy he is under review for release, he sets the unit on fire.

What i am getting at is, yes...the treatment could be made worse. They get 3 hots and a cot, you know? But your point about how "the people" are treated is spot on. No, prisoners should not be treated worse.

HOwever, i do agree that they should be more self sustaining.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

The danger of becoming adapted to the system of the prison is maybe the biggest danger imo, that is why the gradual release of long time prisoners is a good way to make them adapt to society. Just like you say about mental health pasients being "scared" of release into a society they fear can not understand or accept them.

Making them more self-sustained is also a good point as it is making them understand the value of working within the society.

Ofcourse you have to earn the trust to be released into an open prison system and I think the model Boon is proposing on the previous page is similar to the one they have in Norway at Bastoy prison (it is an island btw).

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SkurkNilsen

I like the idea of island prisons. Even if the "island" isn't surrounded by water.

I think that prisons should be limited, however. Right now we imprison so many people who are non criminal. Consider the lessons learned, yet forgotten, in the Prohibition: that people will do what they want, and if it is illegal it will create more crime in support of it. When booze was illegal, people were murdered to ensure control of a supply line in the underground. Removing Prohibition was what broke the backs of the "mob", and really turned the tide of creating a more lawful society.

Do the same with drugs and prostitution (human trafficking is still a major industry among the cartels) and you will see an improvement in lawfulness in not just America, but Mexico as well (not to mention other nations like Laos, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Colombia, etc).

You then have free bedspace so that people who molest, rape, and murder can be sequestered away from the society that they victimize.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I saw that documentary...I think these guys get so used to the prison system that they are scared of being out of it...it's like unfamiliar territory- and you're right, who would want to hire a guy with swastikas all over his face? He knows that too.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by freedish

Why do drug users need to be in jail? They aren't harming anyone so there is no reason for them to be locked up.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Marijuana doesn't kill people neither does '___' or any other drug. If they outlaw those drugs then alcohol should be outlawed too because it's worse then drugs.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by zombiesC4

Why do drug users need to be in jail? They aren't harming anyone so there is no reason for them to be locked up.

Agreed.

Adultery is far more damaging to society than drug use, in my own humble opinion. Yet I would never want to make it an illegal act.

Drug laws are ridiculous anyway. The drugs are provided by the Government (look up Air America, or the REAL reason we were in Vietnam, or Afghanistan) as a source of income that they can spend on "black budget" projects. The great American hero Smedley Butler had it right when he said 'War is racket".

What drug laws allow to happen is for people to be imprisoned. That is it. Families are broken up, careers are ruined, children sunk further into poverty, and not a thing changes. If people want to use drugs, they are going to regardless of the law. The law prevents nothing.

And like I said...anything made illegal that people want will just create more crime in support of it.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

drug offenders need to be in jail.

So , if I smoke weed inside my home , or on my property , you feel like I should go to jail ? If I am out in the middle of three-hundred acres , which I own , and I fire one up , you feel like I should go to jail ?

Or , maybe you just feel the need to impose your will and viewpoints upon others ? Most of the 'crown-of-thorns' types do , so , I won't say that I am surprised .

Victimless crimes are an absurdity . And don't try to tell me that I am victimizing myself by smoking a little herb . I can take care of myself , thank you very much , without you or the government looking out for my well-being .

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by okbmd

Yup it degrades society...and that's the law of the land bro sorry, obviously the general populace agrees with me

so go somewhere else and smoke your dope ya hippy

(or u can just go to California...i hear they are fine with it over there...)

edit on 2-1-2011 by freedish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Really? do you know how many kids are victims of drug abuse? do u know how many die from gang and drug related violence?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Drugs are always used to control......

The slaves.

He who would be willing to surrender liberty for safety deserves neither.

See:Now

edit on 2-1-2011 by chiponbothshoulders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Maybe look up the statistics for just plain old stupid tragedies on the road,car crashes?.

I am sure it really makes those numbers look small.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

reply to post by okbmd

Yup it degrades society...and that's the law of the land bro sorry, obviously the general populace agrees with me

so go somewhere else and smoke your dope ya hippy

(or u can just go to California...i hear they are fine with it over there...)

Some people just dont believe in Freedom or Thinking.
Thread closed due to derailment.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Ya but it's the parents responsibility for there kid.The government isn't here to hold our hand.But at the end of the day everyone is responsible for there own actions.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

i agree with you...it SHOULDN'T be the governments responsibility, however I'm personally glad it is, because it is my personal opinion that drugs like that degrade society. So does alcohol, but just because we already have 1 substance that is ruining our society doesn't mean we should have two. Sorry you can't change my opinion.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

If you owned an island and I became a member of it, and then started setting fire to random things, you wouldn't like that would you? You are a member of this society, and this society doesn't like your drugs. Get it? And don't insult me by saying I don't believe in thinking...no reason to be rude here man.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by chiponbothshoulders

LOL those are accidents, these people are doing drugs and ruining others lives & degrading society ON PURPOSE.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

If you owned an island and I became a member of it, and then started setting fire to random things, you wouldn't like that would you?

What like Detroit?

Just an off hand comment.

Do you think the ones who attended St Cyril are the ones still standing in the last photo or the ones who didn't?

www.forgottendetroit.com...

Before picture of a part of Detroit

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6ec121f8b86d.jpg[/atsimg]

After picture of a part of Detroit

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b1c72e55b086.jpg[/atsimg]

Actual picture

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/396392159efe.jpg[/atsimg]

Source: www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 2-1-2011 by In nothing we trust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Explain to me,how a peson can go on strike behind bars.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join