It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mental Disorders: Corporate creation?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Josephus23
reply to post by mr10k

I can tell you from my personal experience that I am currently prescribed adderall, abilify, zoloft, ambien, xanax, and percocet.
None of which I take.

That is totally FN ridiculous.

I was diagnosed with sciatica and given the percocet, which I have discontinued its use.
And it was and still is hell.
I was diagnosed with PTSD after a guy tried to kill me a year ago by stabbing me in the throat after my house caught on fire and given xanax.
And I was subsequently also diagnosed with ADD, acute anxiety disorder, and major depressive disorder and given the other meds.
But what I really needed to do the entire time is just talk this out.
NONE of the meds really helped me.

That is one of the reasons that I type on this board.
I want to get out what is inside of me.

The most insane withdrawals that I have ever experienced was from the abilify and zoloft.
I realized that the medication was making me feel worse than what it was supposed to cure and so I quit everything cold turkey.
Maybe not the best decision, but I do not want to go back.
I currently get migraines and I can't really do much about it.
I am 100% positive that it is from the massive amount of medication that I was prescribed to take.

I will say that adderall helps me and I do not even like to take it.
People always want it from me and I can not see why. It makes me feel jittery and light headed, and gives me headaches and I can not sleep.
And that is the numero uno problem, in my opinion, from taking these meds.

They mess with the natural circadian rhythms that exist within the body.
Lack of sleep can cause major personality disturbances.
I am totally shocked that they hand these things out like candy, ESPECIALLY to kids.
I am 37 and didn't have my run in with the law, which started this ride, until I was in my late 20's.
I got out of prison 10 years ago and I have been on a roller coaster ride ever since.
Trying to live in this society as a convicted felon, a NON VIOLENT DRUG OFFENDER, is a nightmare.
That alone will cause someone to have massive suicidal ideations.
I know. I live it everyday.
People instantly treat me differently when they find out that I have the sordid past that I have, but it was all surrounding drug use.
I can talk psychological/sociological circles around my professors at school, because this is not theory to me.
This is real life. I had a 3.83 GPA, but I still do not get the respect that I would normally have, had I not made the mistakes that I did in my youth.

If you do not have a formal education in this subject, which I unfortunately do, then it does not matter, because you have a very good understanding of what the problem is.

Perfect example. Most medications should be taken, is a phrase best said at someone in the ER, not someone who has had horriffic experiences. What that person simply needs to do is blow off the pressure by talking it out. Take some time in therapy, not some time with your medicine cabinet. I apologize in that I cannot relate to the pain you are experiences but you are right. That can set someone off on a suicidal route. No medication needs to be taken. Simply fitting might do job. Hanging out in bars, etc. But

People instantly treat me differently when they find out that I have the sordid past that I have, but it was all surrounding drug use.

Then you need to find people that do take you in. I am glad to say you are okay in my book. I could care less about a little druggy past. What matters is the big NOW.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Josephus23

Once you get out of school, and begin working in the real world, I expect your opinions today will change.

People with debilitating mental illnesses seek out help. Most of them are absolutely miserable living in a world where they are unable to function.

Mental Health has responded in research and practice as much as possible to ease their suffering as much as they can.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

I do work in the real world.
Please remember that I am in grad school and not an undergrad.
My opinions will not change.

I am against meds unless absolutely necessary.
I would rather not work in the field of my unfortunate choice if I have to improperly diagnose and medicate people with drugs that I have not one iota of an idea how they will respond to the person.
The only thing that I could see that would make anyone change how they diagnose is how they get paid.
And I have already spoke ad infinitum about this issue.

People who are depressed are usually depressed for a reason, and until that reason is worked out, the best that any pill can do is mask the symptoms.
This will inherently make the situation worse.
That is one of the reasons for the massive number of suicidal ideations associated with SSRI's.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Josephus23

I would rather not work in the field of my unfortunate choice if I have to improperly diagnose and medicate people with drugs that I have not one iota of an idea how they will respond to the person

Of course not. This would be incompetent, and to be avoided, particularly insofar as diagnostics are involved.
As for the psychoactives, people can react differently as they would with any medication, antibiotics, whatever. This is the reason for close monitoring, particular after the initial prescription.

Criticisms about DSM can be strong, but bear in mind, in working with mental illness, you need some ball park to refer to. Are you dealing with a thought disorder? A mood disorder? It puts you in an area, and is not intended to be precise. It can't be, by it's own nature. It's a tool. A tool for reference to better enable one to assist the discomfort of the patient, and eliminate it if possible, and sometimes it is -- eliminated, or sometimes the best we can do is to control symptoms to the point that the person can function as well as anyone else, or as best they can.

Anyway, my best to you.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join