It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mental Disorders: Corporate creation?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

Parents are huge...

Bravo for stepping up to fill the gap.

I personally lost my father at a young age, but he was never there for me when he was alive.
This greatly affected me and I latched onto whomever would take me on as a father figure.

I then became heavily involved in drugs, because it gave me an identity.
The identity that most young men seek from their father.

I have gone on to school and I have served my jail time, but I can speak from extreme personal experience about this issue.
My brain was put through the meat grinder trying to figure out what was wrong with me, and the entire time it was not my head at all.
But the toxic family environment that I knew.

People abuse drugs and develop them as an identity for one of two reasons, and most times they are combined.
1)They were never taught how to take care of themselves.
2)Some type of severe childhood abuse, usually sexual in nature.

And usually, when some type of "disorder" or "dysfunction" exists, it is social and environmentally driven, and drug use is prevalent with most Axis I diagnoses.
However most times the patient is not totally honest, so this goes un-noticed.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr10k

Originally posted by redhorse

reply to post by ScepticalBeliever

Yes, they are very severe. Ones' mental growth can be halted with these kinds of phsycological disorders. But does how one feels justify the use of harmful drugs to make that person "normal"?

We all know that autism is a mental illness. Not a disorder.

No.

We don't all know that. First glance finds your statement obtuse and uninformed; however, perhaps I misunderstand. Please clarify.

i suppose I should.

I agree with the theory that autism is caused by genes, seeing as how it also is shown to impair neurons in the brain, which is why I classify it as a mental illness.

'Mental illness' has many negative connotations in current society. I also happen to agree with the theory of genetic propensity. However, within that theory is the theory that this is a 'normal' if more rare manifestation of human physiology that sometimes goes awry. In regards to 'impaired neurons' that is still widely debatable for many reasons. Often some (particularly those associated with reading social cues), are comparatively 'impaired'. They talk about this alot in the media. What they don't say is that there is often a compensatory effect, and other neurons are more active.

Autism is a spectrum diagnosis. There are varying levels of functionality within it. Many people on the spectrum have higher than average IQ's and function more or less normally.. with some quirks. Go visit silicone valley and you'll see what I mean. In fact one of the leading researchers on the theory that you (and I) espouse (Dr. Bernard Crespi), likens many on the spectrum to 'Prometheus bringing down fire for mankind'.

The use of 'mental illness' in this regard is socially loaded and creates a negative (and untrue) perspective of autism. It is an irresponsible label.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Josephus23
reply to post by daryllyn

I would seriously get your child tested for heavy metals.
In my opinion this should be done before any type of Axis I or Axis II diagnosis is made.

The doctor that you are seeing is not ethical, but most are not.
They only get paid when they make a diagnosis, which requires them to then prescribe meds.
This is the way the LAW works in the medical model regarding HMO's and health care plans.

Heavy metal toxicity in children is NEVER looked at, but it could be an Axis III diagnosis that should be cured by actual medication, or the cleansing of toxins.
NOT HEAD MEDS.

Good for you for standing up for your kid.
They do not have the ability to rationalize.
Hell, people don't have the ability to truly rationalize in abstract thought until they reach their mid 20's or up to 30.

I would suggest looking at this site about heavy metal toxicity.

If this sounds like its your child, then for sure get them tested.
Filter the water in your house and talk to a pediatrician who is realistic about immunizations.
They are not totally bogus, but they are overused for monetary gain as well.
edit on 1/2/2011 by Josephus23 because: (no reason given)

I know he has been tested for lead, but nothing else that I know of. I browsed the symptoms in the link you provided. He doesn't have any that I am aware of but he doesn't communicate well, so I would have no way of knowing for sure until his speech develops enough for him to tell me.

He has suspected verbal apraxia, a chewing/swallowing problem, he is behind in motor development (by about a year), runs with an odd gait, used to have horrid anxiety but not lately and displays some markers of being somewhere on the Autism spectrum. Otherwise he is bright, imaginative, happy, outgoing, active, stubborn as anything, beautiful brown-eyed boy. I am worried that meds will take some of that away. I know there are some kids that really do need medications but he is not one of them. We will not be going back to that doctor.

Thanks for the info.. Let me know if anything else comes to mind.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by redhorse

You are quite correct when you state that ASD is a spectrum diagnosis.
This is very similar to AIDS before the discovery of HIV (which I am still up in the air on to be totally honest with you).

What is happening to these kids due to the fact that this spectrum diagnosis exists, is that Autistic children are now an industry.
And in order to expand this industry, more diagnoses must be made. More drugs must be made, and more people need suffer for no reason.

The entire thing is madness. If someone can function, but is a bit eccentric, then let them be.
Children should be tested for Axis III heavy metal toxicity before any type of spectrum diagnosis should be made.

The DSM and the Psychiatric industry as a whole are completely tainted and not at all in line with the point behind being in the health care industry.
And that is to heal people, and not simply stabilize them to make life more manageable for the parent.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
We live in a society that is constantly demanding things from us. They demand we get an education... when we don't want an education we end up at Starbucks. We have to deal with a fast pace competitive society, there is no doubt we cannot keep up and those who fall suffer from illnesses manufactured by the masters themselves. Life is too simple, human beings use human beings to gain money, this is all. When you cannot continue this cycle, you end up with one of the diseases or illnesses listened on the OP.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I would suggest focusing on aluminum/mercury.
It is highly prevalent in our environment.

I will say that having speech deficiencies/proclivities as a child is like the golden goose for diagnosing Asperger's.
Children will sometimes use incredibly complex words without knowing what they mean and that is also diagnosed as Asperger's.
That is totally beyond my comprehension, to be honest with you.
Kids experiment with everything. That is part of development.

Basically, ASD is a "catch-all" diagnosis when a doctor doesn't know what else to say.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I would suggest focusing on aluminum/mercury.
It is highly prevalent in our environment.

I will say that having speech deficiencies/proclivities as a child is like the golden goose for diagnosing Asperger's.
Children will sometimes use incredibly complex words without knowing what they mean and that is also diagnosed as Asperger's.
That is totally beyond my comprehension, to be honest with you.
Kids experiment with everything. That is part of development.

Basically, ASD is a "catch-all" diagnosis when a doctor doesn't know what else to say.

I have been trying for a year and half to figure out what is wrong with him. He has a little brother who is 17 months who says almost as many words as he does. The problems are becoming more apparent as I watch my "developmentally normal" child grow. I love the crap out of both of them regardless

I will be asking his pediatrician about blood tests when we see her again.

Thanks again

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

I noticed a couple of variances of autism were mentioned in your original reference, that's why I mentioned autism. Also, you will see I said that I feel the use of drugs is wrong. Really, they are just the last resort- therapy hasn't helped, so just wack someone on drugs to relieve the symptons and more importantly make it look like you're actually doing something to help them, when in actual fact you've admitted defeat.

I agree that a lot of these disorders are a result of the media/society we live in, this doesn't make them any less real, though. Your friend is right, at least to a degree- we are not all the same. Just because someone can come through an experience mentally unscathed, it does not mean everyone can. You're right in that his situation alone is hardly proof of BPD- though he may have other reasons for believing this. I think yelling at him was a bit wrong- mental disorders, by definition, cause peoples thoughts to get distorted, often losing the ability to see the bigger issue and meaning that something relatively small can become a persons main focal point. Again, just because something seems small to you, that doesn't mean it does to them. We all see the world through our own glasses, sadly, some become slightly tainted and people lose perspective.

Also, in the UK, the health service is very stretched, so saying it's all about money can't always be the case. I can assure you, the NHS would rather not have to treat so many people for mental disorders, as it eats up more of their budget (particularly with therapy, which is actually an option they often promote, rather than medication).

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

What we have is an undermedicated/overmedicated problem in America.
Those who don't need the meds usually get them and those that do usually don't.

And it all revolves around money.

I dropped out of school last semester because of my ethical dilemma resulting from how I feel about my field of study.
I feel like it is harming more people than it is helping and that is a real mess for someone who is not at all in this for the money.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

These threads always annoy me and sourcing Wiki only annoys me even more.

ATS is full of threads claiming that mental illness is a lie, the drugs are making your condition worse, you don’t need the drugs or the drugs are controlling you. Then there are the threads that claim severe psychosis is not a mental illness but it is a mental portal to another dimension, the result of MK-ULTRA or caused by alien experimentation. I would challenge you to find any credible academic study that backs up these claims. I do tend to agree that medication is often over prescribed but its not due to any massive conspiracy with the backing of the pharmaceutical companies with the NWO backing them up as some would like to believe on ATS. It’s just as a result of demanding patients, lack of training for GP’s, its perhaps cheaper to give someone a pill than it is to prescribe CBT and other therapies and sometimes incompetence and laziness.

The problem is for people when it comes to metal health on ATS is twofold, firstly there are allot of people on ATS with diagnosed mental health problems who have their delusions fuelled by this website. The second problem is a problem in all of society; the problem is the comparison to physical health problems. People can see and feel a broken arm; they can feel the effects of a cancer and other people can empathise with these effects and understand them. However because mental illness is much more abstract and less tangible aliment people just can’t accept why the drugs are needed and the individual affected often may not have the cognitive capability to understand why he or she needs the drugs. There is another problem form a conspiracy angel and that is the perception of the science of psychiatry, it’s incredibly complex, it’s not like oncology were one can do a blood test, its very subjective and that is perhaps why psychiatrists spend so long mastering their trade.

With this thread in particular I get the feeling the OP just doesn’t know very much about mental illness. Take what was said about clinical depression for example, some depression can be caused as a result of drug use leading to a imbalance of the chemical composition of the brain leading to depression. As a result medication is NEEDED to bring back homeostatic environment resulting in a return to a normal balance of neurotransmitters and as such ones mood is stabilised. The reason for the medication being prescribed is not because some big pharmaceutical company is trying to boost profits, it’s because the client needs the medication.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Josephus23

Yes, I've come to see that recently with the U.S, I don't doubt that psychology and mental disorders are an area that could be easily exploited (but not created- just taken advantage of) by pharmaceutical companies over there. I saw an animation on youtube (I know..but it was quite informative) not long ago about children being prescribed drugs at crazily young ages- obviously that's wrong. I see you mentioned earlier in this thread the DSM is crap, I can't argue at all with you there, either. From what I've experienced, it seems that there's a lot we still don't know and the DSM is basically the best guess- similar in a way to our understanding of the universe, which is constantly being proven wrong in small parts and evolving.

Just noticed the post above me also, Kevin. I 100% agree with you regarding physical injuries being visible and all. There is an incredible amount of ignorance displayed, at times, by society in relation to mental illness as a whole. Some people seem to think that if you can't see something's wrong immediately, then there's nothing wrong with that person and they are lying. Your reference about depression is a perfect example, a fair few people would probably label someone suffering with depression as someone who is lazy, negative and needs to cheer up a bit. Anyone that knows about this subject would realise it goes WAY beyond that.
edit on 2-1-2011 by ScepticalBeliever because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown
reply to post by mr10k

These threads always annoy me and sourcing Wiki only annoys me even more.

ATS is full of threads claiming that mental illness is a lie, the drugs are making your condition worse, you don’t need the drugs or the drugs are controlling you. Then there are the threads that claim severe psychosis is not a mental illness but it is a mental portal to another dimension, the result of MK-ULTRA or caused by alien experimentation. I would challenge you to find any credible academic study that backs up these claims. I do tend to agree that medication is often over prescribed but its not due to any massive conspiracy with the backing of the pharmaceutical companies with the NWO backing them up as some would like to believe on ATS. It’s just as a result of demanding patients, lack of training for GP’s, its perhaps cheaper to give someone a pill than it is to prescribe CBT and other therapies and sometimes incompetence and laziness.

The problem is for people when it comes to metal health on ATS is twofold, firstly there are allot of people on ATS with diagnosed mental health problems who have their delusions fuelled by this website. The second problem is a problem in all of society; the problem is the comparison to physical health problems. People can see and feel a broken arm; they can feel the effects of a cancer and other people can empathise with these effects and understand them. However because mental illness is much more abstract and less tangible aliment people just can’t accept why the drugs are needed and the individual affected often may not have the cognitive capability to understand why he or she needs the drugs. There is another problem form a conspiracy angel and that is the perception of the science of psychiatry, it’s incredibly complex, it’s not like oncology were one can do a blood test, its very subjective and that is perhaps why psychiatrists spend so long mastering their trade.

With this thread in particular I get the feeling the OP just doesn’t know very much about mental illness. Take what was said about clinical depression for example, some depression can be caused as a result of drug use leading to a imbalance of the chemical composition of the brain leading to depression. As a result medication is NEEDED to bring back homeostatic environment resulting in a return to a normal balance of neurotransmitters and as such ones mood is stabilised. The reason for the medication being prescribed is not because some big pharmaceutical company is trying to boost profits, it’s because the client needs the medication.

This is the last time I will say I am referring to psychological disorders, not illnesses/ diseases.
But star because I agree with you.
edit on 2-1-2011 by mr10k because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
"These threads always annoy me..."

I suggest that you stay away from the difficult truths, more complex realities. Perhaps you could write a thesis on 'delayed onset schizophrenia'? Seems like a winner.

It's changing, kevin. The music is being played at a tempo faster than you can dance to. I suggest you take a break and I hope things get better for you. Sorry to hear you're going through a rough time.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

What we have is an undermedicated/overmedicated problem in America.
Those who don't need the meds usually get them and those that do usually don't.

And it all revolves around money.

I dropped out of school last semester because of my ethical dilemma resulting from how I feel about my field of study.
I feel like it is harming more people than it is helping and that is a real mess for someone who is not at all in this for the money.

Exactly what i mean. Those who do need the medication are usually left out. There is too big a gray area in psychology for me to say 100% of all disorders are just labelling for profit. But that doesn't deter the fact that some are. Contrary to what some of you suggest I know enough about psychology to provide and explain the information I give, so don't jump to conclusions just after reading one or two lines.

That being said, When I say mental disorder i refer to the labeling process one recieves from a doctor/ psychologist that leads them further down the torture hole. Sometimes I pray I may not slip into mania, and sometimes i think I already have. So many moments where thought goes extremely unorganized, and I think I have put it all together, and then I just flip out.

There are alot of things to understand with psychology. One of the main things to know is that the society we live in is generally the cause for 75% of these "disorders". Economic breakdown can lead to a poorer lifestyle. A poorer lifestyle can lead to moving. Moving can lead to emotional detachment from the things you enjoyed, eventually leading to depression if the victim isn't given enough acknowledgent in their new environment.

What I mean is, there are so much factors to consider when thinking that many mental disorders are "real" like depression for example. Yes, there are certain chemicals that affect anxiety and depression, much commonly known, like Dopamine. But of course, everyone has their gray days. Those moments where you feel hopeless. This doesn't require medication. At all. Some people give up, and feel as though all is lost. This doesn't require medication. Medication will not help anything in these situations. These instances require something people are starting to decline from doing: Talking it out. Raising hope. Counseling. There are many useful functions of the mouth, and this is one of them. Words can be very powerful. Then again, there are points where one KNOWS all is lost, like the current situation with America.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

I can tell you from my personal experience that I am currently prescribed adderall, abilify, zoloft, ambien, xanax, and percocet.
None of which I take.

That is totally FN ridiculous.

I was diagnosed with sciatica and given the percocet, which I have discontinued its use.
And it was and still is hell.
I was diagnosed with PTSD after a guy tried to kill me a year ago by stabbing me in the throat after my house caught on fire and given xanax.
And I was subsequently also diagnosed with ADD, acute anxiety disorder, and major depressive disorder and given the other meds.
But what I really needed to do the entire time is just talk this out.
NONE of the meds really helped me.

That is one of the reasons that I type on this board.
I want to get out what is inside of me.

The most insane withdrawals that I have ever experienced was from the abilify and zoloft.
I realized that the medication was making me feel worse than what it was supposed to cure and so I quit everything cold turkey.
Maybe not the best decision, but I do not want to go back.
I currently get migraines and I can't really do much about it.
I am 100% positive that it is from the massive amount of medication that I was prescribed to take.

I will say that adderall helps me and I do not even like to take it.
People always want it from me and I can not see why. It makes me feel jittery and light headed, and gives me headaches and I can not sleep.
And that is the numero uno problem, in my opinion, from taking these meds.

They mess with the natural circadian rhythms that exist within the body.
Lack of sleep can cause major personality disturbances.
I am totally shocked that they hand these things out like candy, ESPECIALLY to kids.
I am 37 and didn't have my run in with the law, which started this ride, until I was in my late 20's.
I got out of prison 10 years ago and I have been on a roller coaster ride ever since.
Trying to live in this society as a convicted felon, a NON VIOLENT DRUG OFFENDER, is a nightmare.
That alone will cause someone to have massive suicidal ideations.
I know. I live it everyday.
People instantly treat me differently when they find out that I have the sordid past that I have, but it was all surrounding drug use.
I can talk psychological/sociological circles around my professors at school, because this is not theory to me.
This is real life. I had a 3.83 GPA, but I still do not get the respect that I would normally have, had I not made the mistakes that I did in my youth.

If you do not have a formal education in this subject, which I unfortunately do, then it does not matter, because you have a very good understanding of what the problem is.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Firstly. If I have misunderstood your intentions and views, then I apologise but I think my post should stand in argument to the many people who know nothing about depression and so believe they know everything about it.

Some of these are factual medical disorders. Most are basically groupings of different states of emotions, given a distinct name.

I.e:

Clinical Depression:

Clinical depression is a mental disorder characterized by an all-encompassing low mood accompanied by low self-esteem, and by loss of interest or pleasure in normally enjoyable activities.

Most of these "mental disorders" are just excuses to sell more medication, and perform more costly therapedic procedures on patients:

Typically, patients are treated with antidepressant medication and, in many cases, also receive psychotherapy or counseling although the effectiveness of medication for mild or moderate cases is questionable.

So my question to you ATS, is what do you think?
I personally feel that mental disorders, different from mental illness, is a completely made-up concept used to benefit from the populace. I sometimes think that mental disorders, are what happens when corporate America has thrown us into this mental pool of whats - needs, and having us fight each other just to get the latest ipod.

I take it you never suffered from depression? You lucky, lucky boy! Chronic, clinical depression is literally crippling. You feel nothing but the utmost pain! The pain you feel in your heart and stomach becomes physical. All motivation to do anthing is lost. If you don't have anyone around you to help you through it, it is very easy to simply ignore all responmsiblities and lose all motivation. The pain may feel so great, so intense that you literally cannot get out of bed. You wake up, each day, very early because your mind is constantly turning over, telling you how terrible you are and when you realise where you are, an ache runs through your body like a scream at the thought that you have another day to face.
Nobody in the World could possibly understand depression and it's control of people if they have never had to suffer it and no, I don't mean feeling a bit down every now and again. I'm talking about true self hatred, guilt, hurt etc etc.

On top of that, it is a scientifically proven illness. Depression can be either environmental, where you are not able to cope with the life you lead, or and most often it is chemical. It is an imbalance of certain chemicals in the brain.

It is as much an disease as cancer and it can be just as deadly!

I hate people who think they can tell you to "snap out of it!" or tell you "c'mon, cheer up for fks sake!", they will never understand the impossibility of what they ask. There are many who have had everything they could ever want but still their struggle with depression ended their lives and made them terminally miserable.

I think you could upset and annoy many people with your post. People who have no understanding of a subject, really should not comment on it! They should especially not try to speak as though they are some kind of authority on the matter but sadly, this seems to be a very common trait today with people, especially on the internet.

I have no interest in what you "Think". I am only interested in what you know and I know that you actually know nothing of what you are talking about but I certainly do and I know many others here also do and to us, your post is a disgrace!
edit on 2-1-2011 by triplesod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by starless and bible black

I have no idea what you are talking about, that entire post made no sense to me.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by triplesod

I think that you have misunderstood the OP.

I do not doubt the existence of depression and from my conversation with the OP, I do not think that they deny this either.
What is the focus of the thread, is how these are treated.

It is not the problem that is the problem, but it is the solution that is the problem!!

If an environmental factor is causing depression, then the depression is most definitely correlated to a chemical imbalance, but the imbalance is not the causal factor.
The imbalance is a symptom of the causal factor.
The causal factor is the environment, and the medical model solution does not ever look at changing the environment.

This is the point in checking all five axis in the DSM.
Especially 3,4, and 5.

I think that you misunderstood the post. Depression most definitely exists and can be as debilitating as cancer, but it is not the same.
This is what a shrink will tell someone who does not understand how the DSM works.
They will say that it is like having diabetes and a diabetic takes medicine to be normal.
Horrible comparison.

Diabetes is a hard science verifiable medical condition.
Depression is based upon observations and that is why it is a soft science.

You want to temporarily cure most depression.
Give the person a lot of money.
It will accomplish the same thing as the meds and the underlying issue will still be there when the money is gone.
No different than meds and conditions that constantly change.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

This is not what the OP is saying.

I think that people are completely missing the point concerning medications.
I am not against medications, but I think that they are both over and under prescribed.

This is most certainly tied heavily into school when people either go into Clinical Psychology or Counseling Psychology.
Both require a Phd and can prescribe head meds in most states, but Clinical psychologists are trained to specifically deal with, and identify, people that have actual organic chemical issues.
Counseling Psychologists deal with normal people who have life issues and the medical model is now enforced by most states upon both Clinical and Counseling Psychologists.
The line between the two is becoming blurred, mostly due to them both having the power to issue meds.

Where I am in school for the clinical aspect, we had to be in the top of our class and ace the GRE and the Psychology GRE.
But people are graduating with Psy D's and Counseling Phd's and are acting like doctors and have no business doing so!

This is all due to the way that HMO's and insurance works in according to state law and federal law.
Big Pharma has a ton of power and it is ever increasing with the amount of students who graduate with a sub par education.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by triplesod
Firstly. If I have misunderstood your intentions and views, then I apologise but I think my post should stand in argument to the many people who know nothing about depression and so believe they know everything about it.

Some of these are factual medical disorders. Most are basically groupings of different states of emotions, given a distinct name.

I.e:

Clinical Depression:

Clinical depression is a mental disorder characterized by an all-encompassing low mood accompanied by low self-esteem, and by loss of interest or pleasure in normally enjoyable activities.

Most of these "mental disorders" are just excuses to sell more medication, and perform more costly therapedic procedures on patients:

Typically, patients are treated with antidepressant medication and, in many cases, also receive psychotherapy or counseling although the effectiveness of medication for mild or moderate cases is questionable.

So my question to you ATS, is what do you think?
I personally feel that mental disorders, different from mental illness, is a completely made-up concept used to benefit from the populace. I sometimes think that mental disorders, are what happens when corporate America has thrown us into this mental pool of whats - needs, and having us fight each other just to get the latest ipod.

I take it you never suffered from depression? You lucky, lucky boy!

Lucky boy? I have had depression. Several times. Several times with the feeling all is lost. Several times with the pain that I have to go around while others make fun of me, depressed, willing to take the risk of killing myself. That's when I dabbled into the metaphysics. I researched as hard as I could, read alot of books, but my pain wouldn't cope. Further and further down I went, until I started getting involved with politics. This is when I heard of FEMA camps, and coffins, which depressed me further. My mother poured as uch confidence as she could, and gave me alot of advice. That's when I found my way here to ATS and started taking questioning all the information I was given. It helped me alot, because I started learning more and more, and I lost the feeling to "die". Now I am not depressed. I am not happy with the outlook that my life may be going, but I won't tkae the "shortcut". So before you start jumping conclusions, ask questions.

On top of that, it is a scientifically proven illness. Depression can be either environmental, where you are not able to cope with the life you lead, or and most often it is chemical. It is an imbalance of certain chemicals in the brain.

If depression is caused by environmental factors, it isn't an illness. Read the thread title: disorders. Mental. Mental as in psychological. As in, it's in your head. As for chemical depression, I already know enough about that, but this thread has nothing to do with that.

It is as much an disease as cancer and it can be just as deadly!

Disease? like Alzheimers? Parkinsons? I am not tackling mental diseases. i am tackling mental disorders.

I hate people who think they can tell you to "snap out of it!" or tell you "c'mon, cheer up for fks sake!", they will never understand the impossibility of what they ask. There are many who have had everything they could ever want but still their struggle with depression ended their lives and made them terminally miserable.

I understand losing a family member can do that. I understand not having the feeling of being loved does that to you. I have seen people that struggle with self-mutilation. Cutting themselves for example. I know there is nothing I can say to help that person, because it's in his/her head. The depression that person suffers can be fought with conversations, etc. But drag that person to people that like the same things that they do, treat them with respect, and acknowledge that person like they would with anyone else, and sooner or later, the self-mutilation will decease to persist. If that doesn't work, then obviously something in the past is troubling the person and that's where therapy somes into play. Still there is no reason to dope them up on drugs. I understand emotion is affected by chemicals in the brain, but that justifies submitting that person to medication harmful to other systems just so they can get rid of an emotion?

I think you could upset and annoy many people with your post. People who have no understanding of a subject, really should not comment on it! They should especially not try to speak as though they are some kind of authority on the matter but sadly, this seems to be a very common trait today with people, especially on the internet.

I have no interest in what you "Think". I am only interested in what you know and I know that you actually know nothing of what you are talking about but I certainly do and I know many others here also do and to us, your post is a disgrace!

Is that how you will end your post? by attacking me? You shouldn't care what I think, I asked YOU what YOU think. If you were really interested in what I know, you would take the time to look into my posts and understand more clearly what i am saying, but by saying:

Firstly. If I have misunderstood your intentions and views, then I apologise

And ending up the post by saying:

I know that you actually know nothing of what you are talking about

Really contradicts you. My view is that the whole post isn't targeted at depression. My whole post wasn't saying medical disorders were a lie. And I can see from this one post all you probably did was press "POST REPLY" without understanding anything I have said.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join