It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there anywhere in the world where we can live and not be ruled or taxed so much?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Found an interesting link on Drudge that I though deserved attention today.

Here's the link: lamesa.patch.com...

After reading this I for the first time am feeling a loss of hope in the prospects of our nation returning to sanity and logic. While a few of these new laws perhaps are debatably good changes, there are several that are intrusive and malicious. Allow me to highlight some of these new laws outlined in the article.

SB 1317 allows the state to slap parents with a $2,000 fine if their K-8 child misses more than 10 percent of the school year without a valid excuse. It also allows the state to punish parents with up to a year in prison for the misdemeanor.
This takes the role of the parent compared to the role of the state to a new level. Truancy is indeed a problem in many districts across the country, but the idea of such stiff fines and even the possibility of imprisonment being the consequence is beyond my ability to comprehend.

And who will determine what is a "valid" excuse for time missed in school, a panel, a judge? Are we looking at yet another bureaucratic establishment governing yet another aspect of our lives?
How does this effect home schooled children? Especially in districts where the teachers unions are particularly powerful and influential over the administration and local politics?

AB 97 bans the use of trans-fats in food facilities.
I know I know, trans-fats are indeed unhealthy, but this is truly a slippery slope we are on concerning dietary restrictions put upon us by our government.

There has been a clear progression on government intrusion into our personal consumption and diet. From cigarettes to soda pop, now trans-fats. All these deemed unhealthy by the powers that be, and my question is...what next?
What will they tell us we can't eat and what we can in the future? Are we not adults and can't we make our own minds up to what we want to eat and drink anymore?

I know there are several here who will think I'm some sort of throwback to an "unenlightened" age with my thinking, but I don't need my government telling me what I can't eat, its none of their business.....period.
If you think otherwise I challenge you to examine the nature of the government's trust of you to care for yourself and your ability to set your own meal plan each week.

Clearly they know more than us and are willing to push their agenda on us through legislations and restrictions.
Here in Oregon as of this morning, we are paying .08 more for a gallon of gas at the pumps. Why? Because the state needs more money to function.

My question to that is... Why? Are the costs of doing business more this year than last? Has inflation skyrocketed over the last 12 months to warrant such an increase?
I also ask myself this question...Is the state trying to dictate my travel and driving habits?

It's interesting to note that here in Oregon there are no taxes to ride a bicycles or licenses to ride a bike on roads and streets, yet Portland has invested money to ad bike lanes, paths, change intersections to accommodate bikes.....yet they don't contribute to the maintenance or infrastructure of our roads because they aren't buying gas to ride their bikes. Here the motorist pays for everything...and yet we are in the minds of our state government, 2nd class citizens in comparison to the cyclist.

The logic here as in so many new laws or taxes defies comprehension.
In an article from Nevada News Channel 8 we see new requirements to sell a home in Nevada.

Here's the link: www.8newsnow.com...
"Another law that begins New Year's Day requires home sellers, at the request of a prospective buyer, to provide an energy audit or a year's worth of utility bills as a way to gauge the property's energy efficiency."
Hmmm, an audit of the energy used over the last year to sell a home.....why?

Home owners already have to provide an independent inspection of a home as to the structural integrity as well as to address the issues of plumbing and wiring...if there are any issues that would cause a waste of energy, this inspection could reveal potential problems. (Cracks in walls, heating duct issues, etc.) All this has been in place for years and has worked well. So why the change now?

And what does an audit like this cost anyway? According to Energy Audits Unlimited the base cost for a building up to 2000 sq. ft is $395.00.
Here is the link: www.energy-audits-unltd.com...

That's more money out of the home owners pocket and tacked on to the buyer's bill.
All for what? Can't the two parties involved come to an agreement on what upgrades to make to a home without the government being involved?

Finally, let's talk about property taxes. The fact is property taxes are going up all over the nation this year, yet the values of our homes is falling.
I found this article that seems to put things in perspective.

Here's the link: www.zerohedge.com...
"Local governments are responding to declining revenues by jacking up all taxes and fees. To counteract sharp declines in property values, municipalities are raising their property tax rates, squeezing more out of properties even as they drop in value. Though there are local variations, the result is the same: property taxes are rising.

In southern Washington, the rate jumped from $10.06 to $11.60 per $1,000 of assessed value--a leap of over 15% in one year."

So the question here begs to be asked...Why can't our government leaders simply stop spending?
They can't, because it isn't in their nature or their political DNA to stop spending.
"Absolute power, corrupts absolutely." Our taxes will go up, our leaders will continue to spend us into oblivion and we will be billed for the privilege.

There are so many things I could go on about but I think I've made my feelings clear.
We are controlled to much, taxed too much, legislated too much....is there anywhere in the world we can live right now where we could once again experience true freedom?

Freedom to pursuit life, liberty and happiness?

If you know of such a place please share it with me, I could use a positive moment today.

By the way, Happy New Year everyone.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Off the Grid.........

2nd line

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
My biggest peeve is the concept of property taxes. The fact that if you don't pay property taxes they can take your property away proves that the concept of it actually being your property is a joke. If it's my property, then taking it by force because I refuse to pay you a usage fee is theft and highway robbery. So stop pretending like anybody in this country owns property, Government.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Yes. There are places you can escape too where you'll have zero tax. One place in Europe but you need to live there for 6 months before you get no tax. My plan is much better though: If we assemble a few thousand people and descend on an uninhabited small island all on the same day and then declare independence - who's going to stop us?

Maybe a few small points with my plan that require some thaught but hey its a plan isn't it? Not a very good one but its a plan that nobody else is advocating!

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Somolia

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I feel taxed to death too. We own our business and have to pay about 40% of income to the fed/state. That leaves 60% to purchase health care (which we cannot afford), equipment upkeep, gas to and from work, postage, blah, blah, blah...we basically make nothing...

My husband has to have a full time job on top of running a part time gig to be able to afford (barely) keeping us afloat. We live small ( 1100 sqf home) used cars etc...but we are broke. School loans are killing us..too.

We have thought about going to another country...however it seems more difficult for americans to leave. Any yahoo can come from (name a country) to live and work and buy up businesses here. I kind of resent the fact that foreigners can buy land/home/businesses here yet we don't have the same opportunity in their countries.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
only two things are certain in this world... death and Taxes. - Benjamin Franklin

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
The Principality of Sealand. If you can afford to buy it that is

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/589f1bc16e30.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I plan on eventually becoming a citizen of the cayman islands and then formally denounce my US citizenship when I can afford to. You have to invest 1mil on property development or marry a citizen among other requirements to get your citizenship, but its worth it. There are no property taxes or income taxes there

top topics

join