It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prison Riot Over Alcohol Breath Tests on New Years Eve

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
So it would seem that this riot started because of breath tests for the prisoners on New Years Eve. This is a category D open Prison named HMP Ford.

"Category D prisoners are those who can be reasonably trusted not to try to escape, and are given the privilege of an open prison. Prisoners at 'D Cat' (as it is commonly known) prisons, are, subject to approval, given ROTL (Release On Temporary Licence) to work in the community or to go on 'home leave' once they have passed their FLED (Full Licence Eligibility Dates), which is usually a quarter of the way through the sentence."

George Best was actually held at this prison. Should the warden just of turned a blind eye to the drinking that was allegedly taking place or was it right to give breath tests? Baring in mind that while out on home leave they are able to drink etc and it being New Years.
It is a tough call for the warden and it appears he made the wrong decision. I mean what punishment could he issue if they had found to of consumed alcohol?, probably an extension of their sentence. Probably most had consumed something so were not only rowdy but worried about extra time thus leading to the riot.

What would you of done
A if you were the Warden
B if you were a prisoner there had a drink and would be out in 1 month ,but if found to be drinking extended by a further 3??
Take Care Regards

uk.news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
yer, well it is HMP Ford.. not a lot more you can say about the place really except that Ford is usually verging on, experiencing or cleaning up from a riot..

So what else can you do with the place, it has a rather chequered history in this area..sometimes I think the place has been set up to test out policing practices.
edit on 1/1/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Well, if I was the Warden. I would have told them I would be testing them at the times..give them forewarning to let them make their choice knowing what happens.

As far as the prisoners are concerned..a month away from full release..I would like to think that I would be responsible, but sitting on the sidelines verses being in their shoes is different.
Sometimes a person wants to simply feel normal. have a beer on new years eve, kiss a girl, etc..and if you feel there is no consequences for a minor indiscretion, well, the temptation may outweigh the calculated risk.

Prisons make a tidy business keeping people in...what the warden did was a sneaky business decision.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Couldn't agree with you more.

There are some things, even in my Libertarian mind, that should NEVER be run by corporations. Prisons, law enforcement, and professional military..
edit on 1-1-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
A if you were the Warden

If I had the option to test, I would exercise it

B if you were a prisoner there had a drink and would be out in 1 month ,but if found to be drinking extended by a further 3??

Tough. They know the rules. There are prisonsers who have been found guilty of a crime and then imprisoned because a judge felt this was the only course of action that could be taken.

Everyone involved in this unrest should have months added on to their sentence and made to work to pay for the damage.

It seems that too many on ATS are bleeding heart liberials. Let them rot in prison.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

HMP Ford is an open prison run and operated by Her Majesties Prison Service..

As an open prison the security has always been quite lax, no bars on windows or locks on doors (also one of the main criticisms of the prison) and is pretty notorious around here for riots/disturbances.

Ford itself is quite nice and the runway holds a great car boot sale

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

HM Prison Service is not a "for profit" organisation. As far as I know (may be wrong) but there are no privately run prisons in the Uk, yet.

The warden tried to enforce the rules. The prisoners there are low risk and are trusted to obey the rules, so it was a reasonable thing for the warden to do if he suspected them being broken. Now, after this riot and the huge damage caused (several buildings were brunt down) the prisoners involved will now not only find themselves moved to a higher category prison, but will probably find that they will have to serve much more of their original sentence's now. Idiots.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
they shoulda left the commode hooch alone, esp if they were getting out in as month

top topics

join