It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers crack open mobile network

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
According to this report from a year ago, the KASUMI 128 bit encryption for 3G systems was cracked in 2 hours on a single PC

www.maximumpc.com...

If I'm right in thinking this affects not just GSM but UTMS networks, which I believe is what most of the smartphones use. Not to mention the cases of smartphones being hacked:

www.securitynewsdaily.com...

Off site content from above link

For instance, the microphone on a smartphone can be turned on remotely using rootkits, allowing someone to listen in on anything going on around the owner.

Another attack uses a common smartphone feature: GPS receivers. A simple text message allowed researchers to track the location and activity of the owner.

"I can listen to all of your corporate meetings where trade secrets are released. I know where you are all the time," said study team member Jeffrey Bickford, also at Rutgers. "In the future, when smartphones are ubiquitous and everyone has them, they can be particularly dangerous."

Scary stuff indeed

edit on 1-1-2011 by rufusthestuntbum because: to make a quote box

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I hacked my wife's texts, the unfaithful bitch!

Just regisistered her phone with 02's Blue book and it saved every single one on line for easy reference.

Yep she was cheating!

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by tilpah

Well I would direct your attention to the michigan man who is under trial for hacking into his wifes emails...

its a crime

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Just read about this, this morning! Never would have thought a small mod to a phone and a laptop could realistically intercept GSM calls and data!.... WoWzerz!

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by cygnusX
Just read about this, this morning! Never would have thought a small mod to a phone and a laptop could realistically intercept GSM calls and data!.... WoWzerz!

Believe it... And in the future, I would recommend believing that anything is possible because We are the Elite

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
yep even a program made in java called super blue tooth hack dose the same thats why i all ways have my bluetooth of on my phone

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
GSM was cracked years ago! Used to be able to hear competing telecom stuff without decrypting using just a radio scanner here in New Zealand (obviously it was sent analogue).

edit: anything created can be recalled, conservation of energy and all that
Security does not exist in the black world of scalar electromagnetics.
edit on 1/1/11 by GhostR1der because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith

Originally posted by againuntodust
The reason this is even possible is because of lack of encryption.

That's not actually accurate, this particular hack utilises 4 Motorola phones flashed with custom firmware that have been modified to direct all network traffic to a PC, after targeting a specific phone and recording it's datastreams the messages and phone calls are decrypted using rainbow tables. It's still encrypted, but modern PCs and the ability to store the 2TB Rainbow tables that would have been fantasy when GSM was invented are now a reasonable proposition.
There is a lot more detail to how the entire hack is done, but it is obviously not something to be discussed.

why isn't it something that should be discussed. that's the problem as long as it's not being discussed nothing will change.

but if step by step tutorials on how to do it are shown on popular websites and phones are being hacked every 5 minutes, phones companies will be forced to do something.
edit on 2-1-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
why isn't it something that should be discussed.

Because it's against the Board T&Cs, the posts will be removed and the posters banned. Therefore it is pointless to discuss it in detail here

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith

Originally posted by randomname
why isn't it something that should be discussed.

Because it's against the Board T&Cs, the posts will be removed and the posters banned. Therefore it is pointless to discuss it in detail here

There's me thinking this stuff is Above Top Secret!

Is it against T and Cs mearly 'know' how to do phone decryption and transfer or is talking about mentioning it?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

It is not permitted to discuss 'illicit activities' including hacking on the board under rule 16e of the T&C. As the interception of phone calls and SMS messages constitutes a serious offense in the majority of countries, if not all, then discussing the technical aspects would be a breach of the T&C.
I'm not trying to be a killjoy, the fact I know about it should tell you it interests me, I'm simply trying to ensure that

a) No-one gets banned
b) The thread is not removed

If the technical aspects of carrying out the exploit are discussed, the probability of one or both of the above being carried out is extremely high.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
This tech has been out there for a long time and used by many agencies, the difference today is it's becoming quickly accessible to the masses. Check out The Dominator 1 in the video below. This was used by government agencies who now use the Dominator 3 (which must be a very nice more advanced piece of kit)

blog.gsmarena.com...

Nothing's sacred anymore, you might be surprised to know you can still pick up a lot of house cordless phones now in The UK, US and all around the world with a standard cheap scanner from 50 dollars/pounds on ebay which will also tune you in on baby monitors, bugs, military communications and the like, a good example of what you can listen to here.
edit on 2-1-2011 by lifttheveil because: Added link

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Just for authenticity on the above video....

The Dominator 1 is made by Meganet, a supplier to The DOD established in 1997 who's website is here www.meganet.com... with a lot more interesting stuff on it

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by lifttheveil

Thanks for the link! I love this kinda stuff!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join