It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened to western Canada? Another timeshift?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Are we stuck in a timewarp?

Seriously... Just because you haven't noticed something before and Geography isn't your strong point it doesn't mean there's been a 'timeshift'.
As an undergraduate studying physics I'm fascinated by and more than open to the ideas of multiple universes and time travel, however lack of geographical skills does not constitute as an indication a 'timeshift' in your sci-fi context.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I had a look and on the left in the bering sae.
there is far to many islands?
so I had a look around.
and found lots of island that are new?
about 4 mounths ago I had a good look at google map
for island I could buy. if I won the money. lol.
I did not find many.
but now they are poping up all over?

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith

Seriously... Just because you haven't noticed something before and Geography isn't your strong point it doesn't mean there's been a 'timeshift'.
As an undergraduate studying physics I'm fascinated by and more than open to the ideas of multiple universes and time travel, however lack of geographical skills does not constitute as an indication a 'timeshift' in your sci-fi context.

Its not a matter of noticing. Its a matter of seeing things that are completely different.

Imagine you go to sleep with a poster of Jessica Alba on your wall. The next morning you wake up and its Jessica Simpson on your wall.

Thinking that someone replaced the poster to trick you, you try to find out who it was. After no luck, you remember that you took a picture of the poster on your wall a while back. You look for that picture, and upon finding it you realize that it also shows Jessica Simpson.

You then find the receipt for the poster, and it also shows Jessica Simpson.

You clearly had a memory of Jessica Alba on your wall, but instead its Jessica Simpson.

This is just a hypothetical example, but hopefully it can make it easier for you guys to understand what it looks like.

I am a very visual person. I have seen Washington State numerous times. Hell, i have looked at the same exact printout of a map numerous times. I have never seen that dip that connects canada to washington that you see now. That i can confirm 100%.

www.mapsnworld.com...

I have been looking at that exact map link since the Australia thread started, and i have never seen Canada look like that.

Bad geography my ass.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Oh dear Lord, not this again..

So, because someone who isn't clued up on geography notices something they haven't seen before, rather than acknowledge you didn't know everything, it is instead the result of a "timeshift" and the earth has just randomly reconfigured itself with new islands and moved borders...

Ok, seems like a logical conclusion to follow. After all, I am sure that I should be a billionaire and have a harem of nubile women to satisfy my every desire, but I don't. This too must be the result of a timeshift. It all makes sense now!

Could it possibly be an updated ( new) map or drawn with a different scale? Nope I just noticed the freakin' universe jumped timelines and mine took a hard left without me last Tuesday???

APPLAUSE!
APPLAUSE!
APPLAUSE!

I must be done here.. this crap( shape shifting reptilians; time shifting ) just doesn't even make me smile in fun anymore.
Lets not hide it as being "closed minded" anymore: Some folks really need to seek help.
edit on 1-1-2011 by 46ACE because: burstof rudeness sorry;. I better just go away til I can play better with others....

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by demonseed
I am a very visual person. I have seen Washington State numerous times. Hell, i have looked at the same exact printout of a map numerous times. I have never seen that dip that connects canada to washington that you see now. That i can confirm 100%.

www.mapsnworld.com...

I have been looking at that exact map link since the Australia thread started, and i have never seen Canada look like that.

Bad geography my ass.

Are you kidding? That's a (very) bad rendering of Puget sound. It's been there since I was in elementary school (30+years ago). Nothing has changed and no timewarps to speak of...

Honestly, you need to find a better map... or look at Google Earth..

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I knew it. It is contagious.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by demonseed

Thats how i remember it also.

I also remember Texas being the biggest US state, but its apparently always been Alaska.

You chalk it up to bad memory, but all im saying is that it might be something else.

Apparently theres a 100 page long thread with a lot of people who share my belief. Im just pointing out another weird thing i noticed recently.

As a native of Texas, I can distinctly remember learning that Alaska is larger than Texas. I would think that should hold a lot of weight here, as Texas geography and history were a big part of my studies as a youngster. It's something I would have noticed a lot. I think anyone else here who went to school in Texas will say the same.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
As a native of BC for all my life, and some one who knows a few people down in Vancouver and Victoria, and someone who was awake during my geography unit in Social studies, and also some one who loves to look at maps.

I can assure you, that little dip you see and all those little islands on our coast, and the fact that Alaska comes as far down as it does, are nothing new and have been around for awhile.

Infact the fact that Alaska comes so far down has been a point of contention with the states for a some time. They say it give them more fishing rights, and we think it should be less then they claim. That's even been news stories over here.

Also, as for roads on little islands, might I point out this is a coastal region? There are lighthouses scattered up and down the coast, and you can't always place your boat landing on the same side of the island that you put your light house on, so thus you need some way to get from point A to point B. There are also homes on some of them, but not full towns or cities.

Just more food for thought.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
OP, perhaps you can take a screen shot and circle exactly what you think you are seeing; that way, the rest of us have a reference point to work with here. Otherwise, this whole thread is moot, IMO. Additionally, as an individual that was raised and lived in WA state, as well as being a pseudo map lover, I have no idea what you are referring to. The western coast of Canada looks the same as it always has (excet for perhaps MILLIONS of years a go). It is a very rough coastline, strewn with small islands and islets from Vancouver island all the way up to Alaska (and yes, it has always dipped into Canada like it does. Any elementary school kid in the US will know that the capital is Juneau and it is down on the same spit of land that dives south into Canada/BC).

Lastly, depending on your age, you may have indeed learned that Texas was the largets stae in the US... if you learned this prior to Alaska becoming a state in 1959. So, your teachers/textbooks may have correctly told you that Texas was indeed the largest state, as long as this knowledge was imparted to you prior to 1959.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by demonseed

If this www.mapsnworld.com... is what you are basing this whole thing on, then I can understand the confusion. This map is shiate, geographically speaking. It is VERY rudimentary and simplistic as its whole purpose is to show countries and not necessarily geographically specific borders/boundaries. Thus the file/map name in the URL itself "/world-map-political.jpg".

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join