It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

truTV: Conspiracy Theory is an "entertainment program that appears on an entertainment network."

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Misty Skedgell, a Turner spokesman, described "Conspiracy Theory" as an "entertainment program that appears on an entertainment network."

I know that Rep. Cohen getting on truTV's case over the FEMA camps episode was already covered in great detail... but I couldn't find anyone raising concern over truTV's defense about it all.

I always suspected that truTV was using Conspiracy Theory as a entertainment show, but I thought part of the appeal of the show was that it was all true. Even if they were faking it, wouldn't they still promote it as being true to draw larger audiences?

I didn't know about this quote before I read it today on Wikipedia. I was like pretty surprised

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Some things are true and some things are just BS on that show.
She is right about the entertainment thing, have you seen the other programs on that channel?

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I think that like any "conspiracy" subject, especially UFOS, there is always truth sprinkled in with complete BULLS^&T.

Meeting unnamed government whisleblowers who show their face on national TV, the fake HAARP thing where their cameras were "frizzing" out after filming there and getting all their shots, ect.

However, I also think he tells a lot of truths, like most of his Gulf episode.

Again, it reminds me of any news report on UFO's, before and after a real unexplained clip, they'll play X Files music and use the most fakes CGI UFO they have in the little picture in picture while they talk about it.

We've probably already had disclosure, it's just mixed in with too much BS.

They believers will believe it along with the BS, those on the fence won't be convinced, and debunkers are given loads of ammo.
edit on 1-1-2011 by Jeanius because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I watch this show regularly and love it. (Even if Jesse Ventura seems a little big for his britches at times.
)

I was not aware of this quote either. I think a lot of what is talked about has a ring of truth to it, but expected full disclosure would not happen at any rate. Just one more reason to always investigate things for yourself.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
He takes on stories that the mass media is afraid or directed not to touch. Some of these are very deep and complex issues. Like all media, some mistakes or simplifications are made in trying to find the truth to a story. I respect his work and keep an open mind to it.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeanius
"I think that like any "conspiracy" subject, especially UFOS, there is always truth sprinkled in with complete BULLS^&T.

Meeting unnamed government whisleblowers who show their face on national TV, the fake HAARP thing where their cameras were "frizzing" out after filming there and getting all their shots, ect. "

Yeah, the fake interference thing was totally stupid. But some stuff seemed convincing, like the FEMA episode, or the one about the island that they test biological weapons on (forgot the name)
Take it for what it is, a conspiracy. Some truths mixed with alotta BS.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
90% of it I would assume to be true, it is edited in order to be entertaining.

If it were not entertainment, then the sheep that they hope to awaken, will not watch it. Therefore it has to be entertaining.

Jesse and his team are doing a great job and I love their show.

Yes it is at times a bit exaggerated, but it is what is needed for those who are TV addicts and those who find it hard to believe the conspiracy theories.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
It is an entertainment show on an entertainment network.

Coast to CoastAM is an entertainment show on an entertainment network....Jesse Ventura is an entertainer, so is Art Bell, so is Goerge Norry.

Remember "In Search Of" with Leonard Nimoy? ...Entertainment

Star Trek, Battle Star Gallatica, Star Gate... Entertainment

Now, these shows may be sprinkled with a little reality, with a little science, a little conjecture...but for all intents and purposes...it is entertainment.

Too often, I think people forget the boundries and make such things their reality. These are the ones that go beyond some extra food and ammo in the pantry...and start to live in the bunker with lead walls and a tinfoil hat... and think the NWO got to their wife and made her leave them for a "sheeple" kind of guy.

It is fun, it is intriguing, but until an alien lands on the White House lawn with a snow camo coat and a Nazi armband on one sleeve and a Masonic ring on the other hand and is seen via CNN/Fox....it is entertainment to me.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Yeah overall I think the show is a positive even with its few hiccups. I think it brings some important issues up to people who wouldn't normally hear about the stuff and it's geared towards that audience. Preaching to the choir is fun and all but if you really want to see change, you need to keep bringing new people into the fold and I can forgive the editing and style of the show for that. One minute someone is watching World's Wildest Police Chases on truTV, next minute you got them wondering if a plane really did hit the Pentagon or not.

I just wish that like, instead of having a random staff on the show who likely only play investigators on TV, his staff could be people who are recognized outside of the show, like Alex Jones, Jim Tucker, Jason Bermas, etc.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
A quick look at TruTV's Wiki more or less says it all for me:

Controversy Recently[4], truTV has come under public scrutiny for airing multiple shows which are suspected of being staged and/or scripted. Shows thought to be artificial or to be scripted are All Worked Up, Hardcore Pawn, Ma's Roadhouse, Operation Repo [5], Rehab: Party at the Hard Rock Hotel, and Southern Fried Stings.[6]

Not to mention the rest of their programming line-up. It's definitely one of those stations specifically engineered towards a certain type of running mentality.

(Don't get me wrong though...I'm a bit addicted to the "Worlds Dumbest..." shows myself
)

As far as Ventura's "Conspiracy Theory" goes...it's a little to hyped and sensational for my taste. While I can't confirm or deny the viability of the information he covers because of the way it's presented leaving such an awful taste in my mouth, my initial impression is that the show is specifically designed for the prime demographic of the entire channel (i.e. heavily scripted for maximum "drama".)

top topics

join