It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SkinRipper here.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

I agree with you concerning the OP.
I have stated explicitly that a sociopath or a psychopath are pop psychology terms akin to addict.
I wouldn't state that the OP is anything, except perhaps NPD. (Axis II)

My main question to you is concerning the field of Psychology. If you have read my posts then it is obvious to you that I am in the field....

But I am seriously thinking about dropping out of my education, to which I have invested about 80 grand, because I am having reservations about the DSM, or more so the entire of Psychology as a whole.

Have you pondered the fact that the diagnostic criteria for the DSM breaks rule #1 in Psychology.
Correlation is not causation.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

Originally posted by Josephus23

Ahhh.... A fellow amongst the thread.

If you have read my comments, then you will know that I am heartily AGAINST the DSM.

And I will tell you why...

Because ALL 5 AXES must be qualified in order to meet any condition and the first two axes are not in any way actually testable.
Well, except axis II down's syndrome, but that would make more sense to be axis III in my opinion.

The majority (and I would go 99% here) of all personal problems can be traced to Axis III, IV, or V.
The first two axes are symptoms of a serious problem that is occurring in the last three...

Do you agree with this or disagree?

Hmmm.
Axis I:
Clinical Disorders
Other conditions that may be a focus of clinical attention

Axis II
Personality disorders
Mental Retardation

Axis III
General Medical conditions

Axis IV
Psychosocial and environmental problems

Axis V
Global assessment of functioning

This provides us with a scientific systematic evaluation of any combined mental disorder, psychosocial and environmental problems with a level of functioning that otherwise might be overlooked or masked if we were to focus on one presenting problem.
Simplistically, it would be akin to playing chess, while only seeing half of the board.

From the brevity of what the OP is stating, he is hiding something, and I suspect an ulterior motive.
IMHO.

(Supportive of Violator, Confused by Joseph) Whaaaa??? I am confused here - how are the first 2 Axis's a result of the last three . . . and how the heck do you get to a GAF without measuring the significant impairment of Axis 1? Am I really way baked here? By the way I worked at a Psych Hospital for adolecents before I dropped out of College to join the Military a million years ago. I would sit around on the graveyard reading the case histories, this was before HIPPA laws. I learned a whole H#ll of a lot more working at the hospital . . . and watching military psych ops in action then any book or professor could teach. I saw behavior during my deployment to war that Stanley Milgram and the Stanford Prison experiments couldn't begin to scrape the surface of. Again it's the looking down the paper towel tube thing getting in the way. We can talk Soc & Psych - but don't leave out Anthro - and we better get a couple of neurobiologists too while we're at it.

My true sense is we don't REALLY know yet what we are looking at concerning the brain and human behavior . . . most notable professionals in their fields will admit to this. Plus there seems to be too many trends in this field . . . Primal Therapy anyone? I haven't really read, or heard of, or stumbled across anyone who REALLY knows what it all means yet.

I also agree this seems to be a fishing or trolling type of thread.
Bit too much contradiction by the original poster - or maybe I am still confused as to why he would feel the need to marry. I also think that unless his wife is from some cultural part of the world where it doesn't matter, or he supports her very well, or she is a bit superficial herself this marriage is questionable. I hope they do not have children, and that the OP recognizes that children can intutively tell if they are Loved or not . . .

edit on 1-1-2011 by TheBirdisDone because: spelling

edit on 1-1-2011 by TheBirdisDone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBirdisDone

You will have to pardon my "bunch of crap" comment.

fMRI's merely show that activity is going on in the brain, but it does not show exactly what kind of activity is going on in the brain.

Personality evaluations have always been useful. Tim Leary, when he was a respected scientist, created a personality evaluation that was the basis for the MMPI.
While inventories such as the MMPI might provide useful for after the fact conditioning, my main point in responding is promote the NUTURE side of the argument.

I am almost 100% BF Skinner in my approach.

That is why I have such a problem with the entire idea of Psychology.
People do not even have an inkling of an idea how easily certain personality characteristics can be molded and shaped.

I am quoting mainly researched Behaviorists when I speak of this (Bandura, Watson, Skinner, Zimabardo)
Bernays is not actually a psychologist, but he created Public Relations based upon Freudian psychology.
While people want to think that Freud is outdated, and he is, his contemporaries like Erickson and Piaget were very much spot on the money.
Which brings me to attachment disorder.

I think that the upsurge in Autism Spectrum Disorder, Asperger's, etc... has more to do with heavy metal toxicity than anything. Although, I do think that breast feeding is very powerful regarding the outcome of a child's personality.
And it can be detrimental or beneficial.
edit on 1/1/2011 by Josephus23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSkinRipper

Do you have a sense of humour? I'd be interested to know what, if anything, you find funny and amuzing. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Josephus23

I agree with you concerning the OP.
I have stated explicitly that a sociopath or a psychopath are pop psychology terms akin to addict.
I wouldn't state that the OP is anything, except perhaps NPD. (Axis II)

My main question to you is concerning the field of Psychology. If you have read my posts then it is obvious to you that I am in the field....

But I am seriously thinking about dropping out of my education, to which I have invested about 80 grand, because I am having reservations about the DSM, or more so the entire of Psychology as a whole.

Have you pondered the fact that the diagnostic criteria for the DSM breaks rule #1 in Psychology.
Correlation is not causation.

Our profession is an art. Some paint with tiny brushes, others with knives or fingers.
While looking at the spectrum of colors to use, you will find that you have to sometimes ignore the black and white. The canvas that we use is tried and true. Just remember a correlation does NOT prove causation, just
a relationship is present, which is usually attributable to a third variable.
The money that you have spent is not the question. The question is where is your heart in medicine. Perhaps a different field would be more suitable. If money is the question, there are a multitude of funding opportunities available. I choose the USAF, learned to fly, and became a goodfellow. And I have no regrets in my education.
Best of luck.
As for the OP, have you detected how he has manipulated the ideations of some of his responders.
I shudder at the number of usu's that he has probably received. And someone could end up getting hurt or worse.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheSkinRipper
reply to post by hawkiye

I edited words that are not allowed on here T@C's.

I think you need to contact the Shadowflux and speak with him and a moderator as you have some kind of problem with him and now see me in Him. Why do you not contact him and be a man and ask him to leave you alone or stop bullying you. whatever your lovers quarrel is I assure you it does not involve me.

I am sure that a moderator can clear it up for you. In fact I will pass on the request to Shadowflux and the admin here so you can see I am not the same person.

I do have outburst of anger. like all people. You see, a Psychopath is void of guilt and remorse. Not of violent aggression towards another. You must understand that you are a big brave guy coming onto my thread and disrupting it. You need to be taught a lesson.

Plus im not the loser with a wizard on my avatar. Child!

That this makes me burst out laughing I hope doesn't make me a psychopath!

Doesn't appear to take much to provoke a reaction out of this guy, and he talks of violent aggression. Probably is dangerous and has committed crimes against people for sure, seems to take pleasure in trying to hurt their feelings at the very least.

Maybe it's not so funny after all..

edit on 1-1-2011 by NewAgeMan because: typo

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

This post makes this entire thread worth the read through. This is something I've been wanting to try for some time and you've toned it down to something that isn't overwhelming to start. Thanks for this.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Josephus23

Ok gonna have to flex my behavioralist research muscles and look into these people - thank you for directing me in an area where I can expand my knowledge. I misunderstood you orginally too - and as I read further on see you are against the DSM. What are you pursuing in your advanced studies? Maybe if I knew where you were coming from or pursuing it might help me understand your points because I am intrigued by some of what you have written.

I think wireless might also be behind the upsurge of autism in addition to heavy metals - but this is just my thinking, my personal thinking on the subject.

I did not understand your response on attachment disorder.
Breast feeding - whoa - that one is loaded. Yes its best, if can be accomplished. But it is one of a thousand choices a mom will make in that child's life. I know two women who breast fed not so much for the child as for the weight loss benefits, so you can imagine those children didn't reap the same nurturing effect as a mother who might have had to bottle feed but who's instincts were more intune with the child's needs. This is a can of worms that could hijack the thread.

But Attachment Disorder is serious stuff. So please expand if you can. Not to mention the original poster may not be aware of this condition.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

The OP has absolutely no idea what they are speaking of regarding the study of psychology.

I tend to block out people who yawn on and on about the field to which I have dedicated so much of my life, with them having not one iota of an idea of what they are speaking about regarding psychopath and sociopath.

That was why my initial reaction to the thread was Narcissistic Personality Disorder, but a person with NPD would have responded to more comments and been much more pressing about the thread staying on track and staying about them.

I am stuck in between the art and the science of Psychology, I suppose.

While the art side feels good and makes me want to help people, the science side makes me see people for what they have been molded to be.
And that is very dry and devoid of humanity.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBirdisDone

When you speak of attachment disorder...

Do you mean as in an aspect of Autism Spectrum Disorder or do you mean as in something more akin to Histrionic Personality Disorder?

Hmmmmm..... Lemmme do a bit more research and I will get back with you.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by BuzzCory

Nice job Hawkiye, IrishLass, and BuzzCory! He definitely watches or reads "Dexter" and he may have also read "Snakes in Suits". BuzzCory, great catch on that writing mannerism. I'm also amused at the way he cleverly let slip his inside knowlege of Satanism and then affirmed it through the other character.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
What is truly surprising about this OP, is everyone's reaction to it. Someone comes along and states he's a psychopath, and what follows are pages of analysis, trying to discover if he is or not.

It's not like he's an alien or a ghost. It is, after all, a mental disorder born from a series of very unfortunate childhood events.

It's not surprising that someone with such a disorder would come here, strictly as a source of self-amusement, while able to hide behind the anonymity of the net. He's entertaining himself. Really aren't we all?

Don't lose sight of the "learned behavior" quality of this personality disorder. He wouldn't slit your throat to take your car, because he fears being caught and he doesn't care for prison. He keeps his wife around because she does things to please him. He loves her because of what she does for him.

It is, indeed, a somewhat rare disorder, but not enough that you guys should be so intense about whether he is, or he isn't.

Why would someone with Narcissistic PD, come aboard, and announce they are anti-social? Is it truely that much more shocking? No. It's not.

It's like the reponse he made to someone and then changed. He didn't change it to avoid hurting someone's feelings. He changed it fearful that he might be banned.

Those with anti-social disorder can't feel YOUR pain. But they can certainly feel their own.

And OP, yes, I'm talking about you like you are not here,and I apologize if I'm being rude.
I'm just surprised at my ATS buddies for making a big deal of this. I personally don't see that it is.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Josephus23

Do you mean as in an aspect of Autism Spectrum Disorder or do you mean as in something more akin to Histrionic Personality Disorder?

Neither. Attachment Disorder is it's own disorder. It's more akin to a "failure to thrive" situation.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Yes, we are entertaining ourselves and this has definitely been an entertaining thread. What I find much more interesting than the OP is the academic discussion that has developed between our ATS psychologists, questioning some aspects of that field of study.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

If that was your 18month old child being dropped kicked by the nanny would you have any feelings about it then?

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecinic
No cat avatars.

Only the elite on the site can use cat avatars.

Other then that welcome.

ROFL
I love the humour on this site
it's often as entertaining as the information

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheSkinRipper

One thing I think is very untrue si that Psychopaths are incapable of love. I love my wife as much as the next person loves their wife. As love is not something you can really quantify I have no reason to be doubted. I love my wife to the same point as the man in the next room. However, when I say I would kill for her, my words mean what they say.

The man in the next room loves your wife?

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Hey Skinripper,
What if the person you were with were to be providing intellectual stimulation, companionship and plans of interesting things to do? Would you still refuse to offer them food? Would you be capable of companionship with that person? I am not talking about an emotional connection, but a logical one, a logical friendship that would grow over time while sharing plans and ideas. If emotions came from that, it would be prudent.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lansky

Originally posted by thecinic
No cat avatars.

Only the elite on the site can use cat avatars.

Other then that welcome.

ROFL
I love the humour on this site
it's often as entertaining as the information

Humor? What humor? Honestly, I just don't "get" some of these posts on ATS...

...Just kidding! Happy 2011

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Okay....

I am more clear now.
I think that you are talking about the Ainsworth studies and the four different personality patterns that emerge in children with respect to their proximity to adults.

I think that an actual axis one disorder for this exists in the inhibited and dissociated forms, but I am not sure about that...

As far as the OP and the idea of attachment disorder in line with that of a "psychopath", I would think that the attachment style of most any child can be molded over time, but yet it does however say something about the innate nature of a distinct individual personality.
Mary Ainsworth pretty much proved this, but just as I have been saying since the beginning, correlation does not equal causation.
Simply because someone is brought up in an abusive household and subject to extreme neglect does not mean that they will develop a variety of dissociative or anti-social personality disorders that generally rest on Axis II.

If I am not mistaken, the idea of an Axis II disorder in the DSM is that of an innate genetic, so to speak, disorder.
And I simply cannot buy into that idea when dealing with personality disorders.

Personalities are too fluid and subject to manipulation.
Just read about Dr. Ewen Cameron and his research with the MKULTRA program.
His work lead to the development of the KUBARK interrogation manual, which was standard at Guantanamo.

The history of Psychology is twisted and sordid.
So, naturally it would draw people, like the OP, who seek attention and want to wander waaaaaaaay down the rabbit hole.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join