It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Diamagnetically levitated live frog

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I searched for this and found nothing. Its old news, but interesting none the less. I can imagine this powered up to levitate humans with no problem. Any volunteers?

SOURCE www.ru.nl...

edit on 31-12-2010 by Beavis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Incredible... I would love to try that.

Could somebody please explain briefly (and in comprehendable terms) Diamagnetics? The basic mechanics of it?

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Your video has a "malformed ID." I did a quick search for "diamagnetic levitation frog" and came up with this. Hope it's the same one. Pretty cool.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MavRck

WHY DO FROGS FLY?

As you might well know, all matter in the universe consists of small particles called atoms and each atom contains electrons that circle around a nucleus. This is how the world is made.
If one places an atom (or a large piece of a matter containing billions and billions of atoms) in a magnetic field, electrons doing their circles inside do not like this very much. They alter their motion in such a way as to oppose this external influence.
Incidentally, this is the most general principle of Nature: whenever one tries to change something settled and quiet, the reaction is always negative (you can easily check out that this principle also applies to the interaction between you and your parents). So, according to this principle, the disturbed electrons create their own magnetic field and as a result the atoms behave as little magnetic needles pointing in the direction opposite to the applied field*.

As you probably saw many times when playing with magnets, magnets push each other away if you try to bring together their like poles, for example, two north or two south poles. Similarly, the north pole of the external field will try to push away the “north poles” of magnetized atoms.
Our magnet creates a very large magnetic field (about 100 to 1000 times larger than school or household magnets).
In this field, all the atoms inside the frog act as very small magnets creating a field of about 2 Gauss (although very small, such a field can still be detected by a compass). One may say that the frog is now built up of these tiny magnets all of which are repelled by the large magnet. The force, which is directed upwards, appears to be strong enough to compensate the force of gravity (directed downwards) that also acts on every single atom of the frog. So, the frog’s atoms do not feel any force at all and the frog floats as if it were in a spacecraft.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Very interesting, particularly the exposition of the last post.

I have an inkling that the yogis that can walk on water/ demonstrate gravity-defying feats (as in the martial arts legends etc), are those who through meditative conditioning have trained themselves to realign their own magnetic fields (the magnetic properties of their constituent atoms)..?

This would have to be one of the most (relative to normality) complex yogic feats possible.

I believe that during prayerful states, certain Christian saints were also documented as levitating. I wonder if contact with the Supernatural force (that is, God) generated an 'ascension desire' powerful enough to manifest in physical reality, subconsciously (psychosomatically) realigning of the magnetic fields of the atoms in the saint's body? As far as I know they didn't wilfully seek the levitation state, so I can only suppose that the levitation was a by-product of their 'Higher Self' being in contact with the Almighty?

Interesting stuff; enough to make one wonder whether prowess such as that displayed in 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' isn't so much a myth, as a 'lost' art of yogic mastery...

Christ said - "these things and greater shall ye do in my name". He walked on water and calmed the storm, cast negative entities out of the mental atmosphere of men and women, healed by touch, and even acted as an unconscious conduit for healing manifestations.

Willpower combined with correct intention and mastery of the mind's unsteady ways - perhaps he was showing us our potential when we are allied to the positive creative force (Supremacy of which is known to us as God).

Calm the storm of the mind, realign the constituent energies of one's Self, and away we go.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Poor froggy!

I guess he was like - 'Whoah - those were some kooky flies we had for dinner"

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
There's a conspiracy in here somewhere!

Diamagnetic levitation was first demonstrated as long ago as in 1939 when small beads of graphite and bismuth were levitated in an electromagnet (for historic details, read Physics Today). It took scientists another 50 years to rediscover levitation when physicists from Grenoble lifted several organic materials by the diamagnetic force. They were not aware of the earlier experiment. Although Grenoble's research was published in Nature, a few scientists noticed it.

All these discoveries so long ago. It makes me wonder where we really are scientifically today.

The water and the frog are but two examples of magnetic levitation. We have observed plenty of other materials floating in magnetic field - from simple metals (Bi and Sb), liquids (propanol, acetone and liquid nitrogen) and various polymers to everyday things such as various plants and living creatures (frogs, fish and a mouse). We hope that our photographs will help many – particularly, non-physicists – to appreciate the importance of magnetism in the world around us. For instance, it is not always necessary to organize a space mission to study the effects of microgravity– some experiments, e.g. plants or crystal growth, can be performed inside a magnet instead. Importantly, the ability to levitate does not depend on the amount of material involved, V, and high-field magnets can be made to accommodate large objects, animals or even man. In the case of living organisms, no adverse effects of strong static magnetic fields are known – after all, our frog levitated in fields comparable to those used in commercial in-vivo imaging systems (currently up to 10T). The small frog looked comfortable inside the magnet and, afterwards, happily joined its fellow frogs in a biology department.

There is one important aspect in which the diamagnetic levitation differs from any other known way of levitating or floating things. In the case of diamagnetic levitation, the gravitational force is compensated on the level of individual atoms and molecules. This is, in fact, as close as we can - probably ever - approach the science-fiction antigravity machine

I don't think its science fiction anymore. Can anybody say ufo?
edit on 1-1-2011 by Beavis because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-1-2011 by Beavis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Beavis

Hey Beavis

Was doing some extra-curricular reading today, and came across something damn intriguing that I figured you might find interesting also (NB - I'm amazed that this thread has received so little attention!) The following is a link to an extract from one of the most worryingly intense books I ever came across - and immensely significant if based in truth. It states that during the American civil war, the scientist James Clerk-Maxwell basically came up with a Unified General Relativity theory, which allowed for the experimental manipulation of gravity effects through the use of electromagnetism at the quantum scales..

Maxwell's Unified Field Theory and its anti-gravity implications

The author has written some fascinating books, and I'll be researching these areas in more depth over the coming months.

Apparently, Maxwell's original theory, regarding the way in which electro-magnetic forces produced local space-time distortions (relating to effects with / on gravity) was ditched in favour of a 'simplified' theory which used different mathematical principles (the reasons and explanations are far too technical to my generally creative and minimally-mathematically-schooled mind, though all the equations are included in the text).

Essentially, the fact that the original theory was discarded means that when Einstein was formulating his General Relativity theory, he could only account for changes in space-time curvature forming close to exceptionally large bodies in space, such as stars and brown dwarfs (in his view, only high-mass objects were capable of distorting gravity and thus space-time).

If he'd had access to Maxwell's original theory and equations which did allow for local space-time distortions, there's every possibility that anti-gravity tech could have been invented and commercially utilised in the early 20th Century!

As it is, the more I look into these types of texts, the more I get the sense that someone, somewhere on Earth, is using these theories and technologies in ways that would boggle our 'internal combustion engine-oriented' minds... Maybe the Nazis down in Antarctica?!?!

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyInTheOintment

That is quite interesting. You know its funny that you should mention the Nazi's because their scientists made some major contributions to magnetic levitation. Just read the wiki on mag lev and diamagnetic levetation.
That being said, Nasa is in fact working to make levitating humans possible.

In September 2009, NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California announced they had successfully levitated mice using a superconducting magnet,[5] an important step forward since mice are closer biologically to humans than frogs.[6] They hope to perform experiments regarding the effects of microgravity on bone and muscle mass.

edit on 8-1-2011 by Beavis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
google translate super magnet

The explanation of this phenomenon should also be sought in the diamagnetic properties of the material.
edit on 8-1-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by MavRck

Diamagnetism, is a property that causes certain compounds to be repelled by an applied magnetic field. It arises from the lack of unpaired electrons in the orbitals of the compound, which causes the local magnetic field of the compound to be aligned against the external field rather than with it (as in paramagetism), thus resulting in repulsion. It is the same sort of thing as when trying to force two north poles (or south) of a magnet together, except that it is only seen when an external field is applied.

If you look at the wiki article on diamagnetism, I *think* there is a small bit on diamagnetic levitation - or there was last time I checked it.

join