It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism's Missionaries

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by sinohptik
I would be interested in who they are and what they are doing

me too, I would hope they are teaching to respect all religions ?

I have to research that link now, thanks btw Seed76...

edit on 12/31/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact

Originally posted by Seed76
I think you could ask an Atheist Minister in your area, if you have one there. First Church Of Atheism.

I think they could help you with the answers you are looking.

Peace

holy ghost batman !

Atheism is not a religion

Atheism is not a religion. Here is a Source

In the United States, atheism is considered equivalent to religion under the First Amendment's Free Exercise Clause. In August 2005 the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit affirmed previous Supreme Court precedent[10] by ruling atheism was equivalent to a religion for 1st amendment purposes.[11][12] The plaintiff in the case was a prison inmate who was blocked by prison officials from creating an inmate group to study and discuss atheism. The court ruled this violated the inmate's rights under the First Amendment's Free Exercise Clause.

Hope that helps to answer your question.

Peace

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Seed76

why are they establishing Church if it is not a belief ?

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seed76

In the United States, atheism is considered equivalent to religion under the First Amendment's Free Exercise Clause. In August 2005 the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit affirmed previous Supreme Court precedent[10] by ruling atheism was equivalent to a religion for 1st amendment purposes.[11][12] The plaintiff in the case was a prison inmate who was blocked by prison officials from creating an inmate group to study and discuss atheism. The court ruled this violated the inmate's rights under the First Amendment's Free Exercise Clause.

owned !

lets hope their educators can set better examples then... specially from what I have seen around the internet.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ELahrairah

Very interesting, do you know of any that are simply helping because its the right thing to do, and not because they are against organized religions form of "helping?" From my perspective, religions arent really doing it because they dont want atheists to help in their own way.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ELahrairah
Here is one I found and there are more

Atheists Helping the Homeless was founded in September of 2009 in Austin, Texas by three proud Atheists
who wanted to help people in need. We found that not only was Austin becoming the homeless mecca of the
state, but that a lot of preaching at the homeless was going on

www.atheistshelpingthehomeless.org...

Yeah, that's more like what I remember finding -- groups like Doctors Without Borders aren't atheist, either. Though I don't agree with their agenda, of course, I'm all in favour of such groups, as help is help, regardless of motivation, and if it makes theistic charities work harder, all the better.

Thanks for finding the link.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   

I think that has to do with the First Amendment's Free Exercise Clause. Because Atheism is considered equivalent to religion.

Atheism, in a broad sense, is the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. Simply said it´s a belief in the non-existence of Deities.

Hope that helps

Peace

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Seed76

clears thing up for me a little bit, and I can see also they want $300 usd for a sermon

guess I just gotta do my thing then and preach my truth just as they are...

a "Church" that establishes there is no God (a supreme deity, or deities) which goes against practically everyones belief... I guess then we have to keep an eye on this group because I consider it supreme evil.

if they preach hate I guess I have to preach love simple as that...

the battle is on ! Theists Unite !

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Just so any potential Atheists are reading this topic I just want to let you know that your original established faith which built your civilization and that your tongue is riddled in...

well our sermons are "free"

and we know a secret that is above top secret

you are more than welcome to know this secret too...

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
ok Atheism is not a religion unless it is pertaining to the first amendment laws... yes even though they have set up Church and like to make money for their sermons... just as I suspected.

In the United States, atheism is considered equivalent to religion under the First Amendment's Free Exercise Clause. In August 2005 the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit affirmed previous Supreme Court precedent by ruling atheism was equivalent to a religion for 1st amendment purposes.

in other words they are free to say they are not a religion, but since 2005 pertaining to "Freedom of Speech" they no longer have the right to attack the government policy or constitution as an institution because they are considered "equal to" a religious organization when they stand in front of tha-man.

madam rhetorica ! :facepalm:

edit on 12/31/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   

As an observer in these threads.. and poster who is ignored.. I would like to understand what the basis for these questions are.

The questions suggest strongly that there is some moral ground, some rightness that Athiests are not following through with in the world when directly compared to non-athiest missionaries for instance.

The assumption is that Athiests should or must be doing as non-Athiests are... if they are righteous or in Truth. As far as I know there are no laws to say this has to be so. There is no godlike being here laying down these limitations to apparently open discussion.

Hence why I am at a total loss to understand the Real Motivation behind this and other threads. Perhaps the OP will enlighten me as to the Drive behind all of this?

Help me out.. don't ignore me this time please

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tayesin
The assumption is that Athiests should or must be doing as non-Athiests are...

I will go back to something I posted before in another thread and also possibly again here...

the 92% (being fair here) of the rest of planet earth (the planet I live on) needs to keep a close eye on these professed evildoers (by our reasoning) because if it is any one who is going to go against or try to do harm to the societies that Theism has already established for them... well we might just need to keep a close eye on this bunch.

also we have learned Atheists need to better assimilate and their belief is not a belief and the "church" of non-belief is basically a scam to get your money sucka

Atheists also do not know much about history nor philosophy as I myself have established in other topics. Here is a link someone gave me for a start on their history lesson...

en.wikipedia.org...

this is an ironic story but none the less I got a kick out of this part...

O'Hair filed a lawsuit with the National Aeronautics and Space Administration in regards to the Apollo 8 Genesis reading. O'Hair wished the courts to ban US astronauts—who were all Government employees—from public prayer in outer space. The case was rejected by the US Supreme Court for lack of jurisdiction.

so yes, they are going to have to take that issue up with tha-man of the Universe

edit on 1/1/2011 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tayesin
Hence why I am at a total loss to understand the Real Motivation behind this and other threads. Perhaps the OP will enlighten me as to the Drive behind all of this?

Help me out.. don't ignore me this time please

I will give it to you in short if that is even possible for me...

even trying to help others in a topic "I hate my life" after I came here, I was ridiculed and then nearly forced to denounce everything I believe in and submit to the God of science in which the evildoing Atheists used Darwin as their main weapon to try to get everyone to join them in their hedonism... and it didn't work.

the light shines in the darkness and the darkness can not comprehend the light, the light of all humans is to show kindness and love (which entails respect) to others

it's all a matter of perspective, so I am curious to see how these professors of non-belief do trying their tricks on other cultures (as I have also proven they do not know much about)

it is done so they may close this topic if the mods wish, I actually have found some part of the truth on ATS and have closure for a change.

I just mixed up that one line in my book where it says "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" and thought it was "do unto others as they have done to you"

anyway I love them guys, we gotta lot to teach them

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I am going to keep this short... I seem to put too much info in my posts and topics.

Where in the world is Atheism doing good by their fellow man and helping spread the real truth (or their truth) to others ? (like Theistic missionaries do)

Um..atheism isn't a funded multinational organization, it's a position on the existence of deities. There is little to no organization among the 500-750 million atheists worldwide, and the few organizations of atheists are concerned with simply preventing theists from steamrolling them in the political realm and heightening awareness about atheists being real people.

Where on the globe are they spreading the "good news" of discovering this truth that there is not a God or Gods ?

Atheists don't aggressively preach, we tend to do things in a less...arrogant...manner. We talk with people who ask us about our lack of belief, we discuss things in areas where people are free to ignore of listen to us (like the internet), some put out books, give talks and other such stuff. We

If they are doing it (spreading the word and freeing people) where can we find this version of the Truth ?

It can be found in books, on YouTube, on many web forums, in family gatherings, etc. We don't choose to go to places and shove our beliefs upon everyone else by going door to door.

lets keep this civil shall we, (no language, insults, ect) there are 3 question marks above.

*Irony*

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

admirable bellicose rhetoric...

sadly in my opinion "you lose"

and my opinion is all that really matters on this side of the screen now isn't it ?

got my hawk-eye on you MIMS

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
When and Where is the official debate?

I want the debate!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Re Cosmic.Artifact

Who are

Quote: [ "the 92% (being fair here) of the rest of planet earth (the planet I live on)" ]

you have made yourself a spokesman of?

Quote: [ "got my hawk-eye on you MIMS" ]

Eventually you'll have a very long list for your 'hawk-eyes'. E.g. I expect, ... no insist..., to be on it. And I'm not even an atheist, but criticise you from a completely different perspective: Your self-rigtheousness, where the answer is given and 'facts' are invented on the way to 'prove' it, as the need arises.

You're just serving the same old trite and stale religionist bad semantics, bad epistemology, bad logics and eventually the rhetorical self-appointed 'winning' as seem to be the present fad amongst your ilk on ATS.

And when we after a lot of wasted time cut through the excessive language and get to the point of religionist: "I'm right, because I'm right" there'll be a new thread practically identical to this one, where the same postulates will be served again, so you don't have to answer it here.

Do you hope, that repetitive quantity will make up for quality?

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Um..atheism isn't a funded multinational organization, it's a position on the existence of deities. There is little to no organization among the 500-750 million atheists worldwide, and the few organizations of atheists are concerned with simply preventing theists from steamrolling them in the political realm and heightening awareness about atheists being real people.

I can definitely see the need and practicality of Organized Atheists for the purpose of political power and equality.

I think calling an Atheist Organization a "church" may be a mistake. In discussions I've read (not ATS) - - the majority of Atheists seem to be quite opposed to it.

However - - in "Fighting Fire with Fire" - - - in the political arena of equality - - - maybe its a word/label that will be noticed by its absurdity.

Its certainly easier then "Council for Secular Humanism"

Humanist Charities
www.humanistcharities.org...

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

reply to post by madnessinmysoul

admirable bellicose rhetoric...

I'm not here to start a fight, I'm here to explain to you that you're wrong.

sadly in my opinion "you lose"

I'm sorry, but how do I lose when you've backed down from a debate? You challenged me, I accepted, I tried to discuss terms with you, you kept posturing, and now I've apparently lost a debate that never happened.

and my opinion is all that really matters on this side of the screen now isn't it ?

Well, it might be all that matters to you. Of course, to the community at large, you're not making a good showing for yourself.

got my hawk-eye on you MIMS

I honestly couldn't care less. You never bother to address my posts, you back down from challenges you make yourself and you keep proclaiming your own victory without ever addressing anyone's points.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Cosmic.Artifac said: sadly in my opinion "you lose"

I'm sorry, but how do I lose when you've backed down from a debate? You challenged me, I accepted, I tried to discuss terms with you, you kept posturing, and now I've apparently lost a debate that never happened.

I want to see the debate become reality.

The posturing in regard to Cosmic.Artifact - - is obvious.

Put Up or Shut Up.

edit on 1-1-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join