It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism's Missionaries

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I am going to keep this short... I seem to put too much info in my posts and topics.

Where in the world is Atheism doing good by their fellow man and helping spread the real truth (or their truth) to others ? (like Theistic missionaries do)

Where on the globe are they spreading the "good news" of discovering this truth that there is not a God or Gods ?

If they are doing it (spreading the word and freeing people) where can we find this version of the Truth ?

lets keep this civil shall we, (no language, insults, ect) there are 3 question marks above.

thanks for any input...

edit on 12/31/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Atheism isn't a religion. Judging from your questions you believe this to be so. There isn't a "Truth" to be spread, except that there is no god. You use the word "Truth" as if you expect there to be a sacred book of Atheists. Atheists think that there are no "sacred" books and they were all written by man. Of course, some atheists have different beliefs just like some christians have different beliefs.
It's hard to answer your questions when they are so loaded and biased.
Here's my attempt at an unbiased(I'm a Deist btw) answer:
There are some Atheist missionaries, but since atheists don't have a common book, they spread their beliefs in various ways. Some put up billboards, some tell all of their friends that god isn't real, while others put the bible in the fiction section at bookstores. Since there is no one common "truth," you won't find one common missionary practice.
Question 2: you'll find atheists everywhere around the world. You'll probably hear more from atheists in places where freedom of speech is more commonly practiced, like America or Europe. But I'm pretty sure most atheists are silent atheists, and in fact many may pretend to follow a religion.
You also have to remember that Atheists were around before the first religion was created.
edit on 31-12-2010 by Ghost374 because: question 2.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost374
Atheism isn't a religion. Judging from your questions you believe this to be so. There isn't a "Truth" to be spread, except that there is no god.

try telling that truth to the 92% of the rest of the planet (and that is being fair)

Atheist simply need to stop claiming they are atheists and preaching their message on internet and go quietly into the night then, Because I surely do not see them out in the world doing any "good" unless someone has proof and can posts it here ? hopefully some large scale missionary type of thing like Christianity has going on all over the world.

Do the Atheists not understand Anti-Theism means a lie against our combined truths ?

Science is the Atheists bible and of course the Origin of Species

now that we have that all cleared up, do we have any takers on the questions in the opening post ?

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
There are a large number of secular charities that have no religious agenda

Secular Charities and Aid groups:

DonorsChoose.org
a simple way to provide students in need with resources that our public schools often lack.

Kiva.org
lets you connect with and loan money to unique small businesses in the developing world.

The Union of Concerned Scientists
The leading science-based non-profit working for a healthy environment and safer world.

American Red Cross
The American Red Cross, a humanitarian organization led by volunteers, guided by its Congressional Charter and the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross Movement, will provide relief to victims of disasters and help people prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies. The USA's premier emergency response organization, over 91% of Red Cross spending is on charitable services.

American Civil Liberties Union
The mission of the ACLU is to preserve all of constitutional protections and guarantees relating to First Amendment rights, including the freedom to practice religion and the freedom not to have religion rammed down our throats, equal protection, due process, and right to privacy.

United Nations Children's Fund
UNICEF mobilizes political will and material resources to help countries, particularly developing countries, ensure a "first call for children" and to build their capacity to form appropriate policies and deliver services for children and their families. UNICEF provides emergency and disaster relief.

Doctors without Borders
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural and man-made disasters, and exclusion from health care in nearly 70 countries.

Amnesty International
AI’s vision is of a world in which every person enjoys all of the human rights enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and other international human rights standards.
In pursuit of this vision, AI’s mission is to undertake research and action focused on preventing and ending grave abuses of the rights to physical and mental integrity, freedom of conscience and expression, and freedom from discrimination, within the context of its work to promote all human rights.

Oxfam International
Oxfam International is a confederation of 12 organizations working together with over 3,000 partners in more than 100 countries to find lasting solutions to poverty, suffering and injustice. The Oxfams operate in over 100 countries worldwide working with local partners to alleviate poverty and injustice.

The Nature Conservancy
The Nature Conservancy is a leading international, nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving the diversity of life on Earth. An environmental group that protects natural habitats and the wildlife within them. Focuses on "science-based" initiatives.

Population Connection
Population Connection is the national grassroots population organization that educates young people and advocates progressive action to stabilize world population at a level that can be sustained by Earth's resources. Works against faith-based policies that are supported by the Religious Right.

DefCon: Campaign to Defend the Constitution
DefCon is an online grassroots movement combating the growing power of the religious right. It includes a blog on religious freedom issues, action alerts, and in-depth articles on scientific, religious, and legal issues of the day.

The SEED foundation
National nonprofit that establishes urban public boarding schools to prepare students from underserved communities for success in college.

Project Peanut Butter
Project Peanut Butter is a therapeutic feeding program for malnourished children in Malawi and Sierra Leone, on the continent of Africa. It was founded by Professor Mark Manary, M.D., a pediatrician at St. Louis Children’s Hospital and a professor of pediatric medicine at Washington University School of Medicine.

Electronic Frontiers Foundation
When our freedoms in the networked world come under attack, the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is the first line of defense. Blending the expertise of lawyers, policy analysts, activists, and technologists, EFF achieves significant victories on behalf of consumers and the general public. EFF fights for freedom primarily in the courts, bringing and defending lawsuits even when that means taking on the US government or large corporations.

Mercy corps
Mercy Corps exists to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities.

Seva
Our programs serve people who have been economically, politically, or otherwise marginalized. We change our program approach to relate to their culture and circumstances, reaching out in very different ways, for example, to nomads in Tibet, women in Tanzania, or indigenous Mayans in Guatemala. Our aim is to build a bridge of compassion between our donors and the people we serve — people around the world who have the fewest resources.

International Peace Institute
The International Peace Institute (IPI) formerly International Peace Academy is an independent, international institution dedicated to promoting the prevention and settlement of armed conflict between and within states through policy research and development.

techskeptic.blogspot.com...

none of these groups push religion either

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
These are your 3 previous threads:

1. Atheists are little Green-men !

2. Crusading in the name of Darwin: (I believe these Atheists suffer from some form of delusion that the rest of us on the planet (95% of us) do understand and that if we bound together we may be able to give vision to these sad blind souls, who given time will eventually try to do harm in the name of Darwin.)

3. Darwins Dilemma, Atheism & Comprehension of English

-----------------------------------------------------

Do we really need another Atheist vs God thread?

Couldn't you just continue in one of the threads you already started?

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ELahrairah

great now can you prove they have no religious affiliation

I did not say (agenda) but you did, so that would imply that non-secular charities then in fact do have an agenda.

this is the forked tongue of Atheism speaking

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Well at least Cosmic is predictable. I am in no way a prophet but I do predict more threads of this nature in the future from our resident Atheist expert Cosmic Artifact.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Well, that's not really the point -- those aren't atheist organizations that are doing charitable work. I am a significant donor to donorschoose.org, and I'm not an atheist, nor am I aware of them pushing any agenda other than helping public education.

There are some organizations that are explicitly atheist doing such things, but I've never seen them as being anything other than a "see, we are charitable, too!" sort of showcase, which is fine -- I have no doubt that some atheists are just as charitable as some theists.
edit on 31-12-2010 by adjensen because: Stupid iPad auto correct

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

help me to understand

you can address my questions about your link and show proof can't you ?

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

great tactic...

attack posters validity, avoid topic.

and might I add you did not even do a very good job.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

most of those groups are quite possibly Unitarian.

but I was trying to get them to go search for their own truth in that link and prove me wrong...

I guess I will research some of them possibly for the Atheists.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I think you could ask an Atheist Minister in your area, if you have one there. First Church Of Atheism.

Maybe they could help you with the answers you are looking.

Peace
edit on 31-12-2010 by Seed76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Well ok granted these are only secular groups but I show that atheist have avenues open to them to do world service or charity.
For example doctors without Borders

MSF operates independently of any political, military, or religious agendas. Medical teams conduct evaluations on the ground to determine a population's medical needs before opening programs. The key to MSF’s ability to act independently in response to a crisis is its independent funding. Ninety percent of MSF's overall funding (and 100 percent of MSF-USA's funding) comes from private sources, not governments. In 2008, MSF had 3.7 million individual donors and private funders worldwide.

www.doctorswithoutborders.org...

Atheist are not all inhuman monsters

edit on 31-12-2010 by ELahrairah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ELahrairah
reply to post by Annee

Well at least Cosmic is predictable. I am in no way a prophet but I do predict more threads of this nature in the future from our resident Atheist expert Cosmic Artifact.

I suppose. I think there is maybe 3 threads about Atheists actually started by Atheists.

The rest - - - well ya know.

My contribution was to post secular charities. I see you have already done that. Thanks.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
but here again, do we not have Atheists claiming they do in fact have missionary groups linking their cause to a religion ? (missionaries)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Actually, i do think this thread might be a little bit different.

From my perspective, it is an open-ended question as to what people with the atheist belief system are doing in the name of atheism to help the world, other than advocating their belief system in arguments and debates.

I am very interested in this as well. I am sure there are groups actively doing things in the name of atheism, and helping the world, but i have never ever heard of them.
I would be interested in who they are and what they are doing

edit on 31-12-2010 by sinohptik because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

secular charities... prove to us then that they are Atheists.

secular charity means (not to offend) and just help others, not to debate their belief system when you in fact go out to do just that (help them)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seed76
I think you could ask an Atheist Minister in your area, if you have one there. First Church Of Atheism.

I think they could help you with the answers you are looking.

Peace

holy ghost batman !

Atheism is not a religion

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Here is one I found and there are more

Atheists Helping the Homeless was founded in September of 2009 in Austin, Texas by three proud Atheists
who wanted to help people in need. We found that not only was Austin becoming the homeless mecca of the
state, but that a lot of preaching at the homeless was going on

www.atheistshelpingthehomeless.org...

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by sinohptik
reply to post by Annee

Actually, i do think this thread might be a little bit different.

From my perspective, it is an open-ended question as to what people with the atheist belief system are doing in the name of atheism to help the world

but they said it is not a belief system or a religion, and finally we have established otherwise by keeping it short and sweet.

should they join that church if it is helping people, and then in turn go help others like other denominations do ?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join