It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does power really corrupt?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

"Man is the only creature that consumes without producing. He does not give milk, he does not lay eggs, he is too weak to pull the plough, he cannot run fast enough to catch rabbits. Yet he is lord of all the animals. He sets them to work, he gives back to them the bare minimum that will prevent them from starving, and the rest he keeps for himself." -"Animal Farm, George Orwell"

As the saying goes: Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely.

A sobering statistic that is relevant for our times, is that our protectors are more likely to kill us than our supposed enemies:

“You are 8 times more likely to be killed by a police officer than by a terrorist.”

kasamaproject.org...

A study from the Econimist found that power does tend to corrupt, even in small doses:

www.economist.com...

Taken together, these results do indeed suggest that power tends to corrupt and to promote a hypocritical tendency to hold other people to a higher standard than oneself.

This notion of power corrupting all begins when we inhert power, either percieved or demonstrated, above our fellow humans. This puts us on a pedastool, and forces us to make decisions about things like liberty, rights, legal systems, justice systems, and property.

If we are to believe the conspiracys proclaimed by ATS members, then this is the underlying problem with our system. We cannot give away power lightly or let it be taken like we do. Those in power should be responsible and accountable for all of their actions, absolutely.

Discuss.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Fail!

Just kidding.

I agree we shouldn't allow people in power to be taken lightly.They've been given power with the hope that they can be responsible.Unfortunately this isn't always the case.

But I'm not quite sure how it will work.

U would need a group or person to keep an eye on those in power but you still have the risk of them(this group or person) being corrupted by their power.It's almost impossible of keeping them from not being corrupted.

But as Jimi Hendrix once said...

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
the problem is those that have power have had it bestowed upon them through greed and lies(perhaps hard work as well) ... they usually have no morals to speak of, just a lust for money.

The people that should be in power are the people that have no interest in money. People who are happy to have what they have and want nothing more then peace and prosperity.

I read a story once based on how God wants us to live...the only real way peace could be brought to earth.

The example was this...

Take 100 people, put them on an island with no way to get off to build their own society...immediately human instincts will kick in. The strong will overpower the weak, the most intelligent people will rule being able to out smart the less intellectual and a heirachy will begin... The elite of this society will eventually enslave the lesser of the species...etc etc... all though out human history....

On the other hand, in the same situation....a spiritually enlightened society doesn't overpower each other for control. The strong help the weak, the intelligent teach the lesser and help everyone to understand. Everyone helps one another and treat others how they'd like to be treated. They would treasure each and every one of their fellow man as if they were their brother and closest friend. Love one another how you love yourself. They wouldn't judge anyone no matter how they were created. Honestly above all else...

A society like this has no room for greed lies or hatered.

Our society is based on lies, the elite control the world and unfortunatly theres nothing that anyone or anything can do about it. The fact is unless something supernatural or even "Divine" happens, this is how our world will stay...

This is my hope for this so called "spiritual awakening" thats supposed to be happening within the next few years...

Although i believe theres no chance of this awakening happening...sadly this is myself passing judgement lol

The general public are just too stupid...

edit on 2-1-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
In other words...

Yes it does

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

On the other hand, in the same situation....a spiritually enlightened society doesn't overpower each other for control.

I really wish you were correct. Unfortunately you are not. The pilgrims were religious people looking for a better life. Here is the true story of Thanksgiving.

...In his 'History of Plymouth Plantation,' the governor of the colony, William Bradford, reported that the colonists went hungry for years, because they refused to work in the fields. They preferred instead to steal food. He says the colony was riddled with "corruption," and with "confusion and discontent." The crops were small because "much was stolen both by night and day, before it became scarce eatable."

Bradford writes that "young men that are most able and fit for labor and service" complained about being forced to "spend their time and strength to work for other men's wives and children." Also, "the strong, or man of parts, had no more in division of victuals and clothes, than he that was weak." So the young and strong refused to work and the total amount of food produced was never adequate. SOURCE

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
pilgrams...

Really...

Correct me if im wrong... but arn't the pilgrams the ones who basically stole america from native tribes...basically slaughtering them with a cross as an excuse?

Im not really up on my American history....high school was a while ago.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
The belief that there is nothing that is absolutely wrong leads to corruption. If you have no regard for personal integrity or no fear of doing something that's absolutely wrong leads to a foundation of ideals that are easily corruptible. How many idealists do something reprehensible for the greater good because they no longer believe there's anything unjustifiable? How many dictators and military leaders tell themselves what they do is best for the greater good, and so console themselves when they do what is wrong to get there?

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I can not speak for all people, but yes for the majority of the people of this world, power does corrupt.

Take a look at the United States for example

In the beginning, the power belonged to the people, but over time legislations were past at the local, state, and national levels that slowly took that power from us, and placed it in the hands of politicians who are not only corrupt within themselves, but also literally do the bidding of those who financed there run for election, which in most cases are big corporations and financial institutes.

Now the corporations and banks know they have the power and are using it to benefit them and make the people slaves.

We have not just given the power to a single person to become corrupt, we have given it to hundreds of people in which most are corrupt, how can we beat that?

top topics

join