It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corpse Flower

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Just today I heard about this amazing flower, so named because it smells like rotton flesh. Well over the last two days it has bloomed on the East Coast for the first time in 60 years. I put together these links if you (like me), would like to know more about this rare flower.

LIVE WEB CAM

Growth Chart - UCONN

'Corpse flower' blooms, finally raises a stink

Clint Morse, a plant researcher, said he began to notice the smell while he was watering plants at UConn's greenhouses yesterday morning. By late morning, the flower began to show the first signs of blooming - an event UConn botanists have been anxiously awaiting for the past two weeks.

Researchers expected the plant to fully blossom by early evening yesterday. After it is completely open, it is expected to be in bloom for about two days. Before the bloom began, 10,000 visitors had come to see and smell the plant, UConn officials said.

Cape Cod Times

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Within the next few weeks, New Englanders will have the opportunity to see and smell one of the strangest productions of the vegetable kingdom: the titan arum, or corpse flower, which features a gigantic bloom � and a mighty stench -- is expected to open sometime near the end of June, at the University of Connecticut's Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology Conservatory.

The last time a corpse flower opened in the northeast was in the 1930s, at the New York Botanical Garden. Fewer than two-dozen have flowered in the United States since the titan arum bloomed for the first time in cultivation, at the Royal Botanic Gardens in Kew, England, in 1889.

University of Connecticut Story

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Rare 'corpse flower' almost ready to bloom - AZCentral

Researchers Uncover Secrets of Gigantic "Corpse Flower" - National Geographic

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Ahh yes, the corpse flower..

It blooms every 60 years and it's smell starts the wheels of war! It spreads like a plaque, every person that smells the stank shows signs of wanting to wage a war! The plant was a gift to the Human's from The Devil himself. Its trickery has kept us in the grips of War for centuries!

Prediction: In the next 3-4 years we will have a full fledged WwIII

(This post has no relevance to the above topic, just me rambling and failing at being funny after 37 hours of no sleep. Sorry.)

On the plus side, the flower looks Bad Ass!

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
great place to dispose of that body thats been stinking up the crawlspace

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Mmm... Titan arum salad... with raspberry dressing and artichoke hearts.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
This is what you put in the bouqet for that special someone that just never got the message - it shows you still care for them b/c you spent your entire life growing it, but it tells them to back off at the same time -

Call 1-800-GOAWY today and get your seeds for only 10 easy payments of $19.95!

lol - I got to agree - that is one butt ugly flower

[edit on 7/7/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

top topics

join