It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philosophical implications: WInning the Lotto ...what would you do with it?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Welcome to ATS , Kangaruex . That sounds like a fine plan for someone who is at your station in life .

Enjoy your time here . I'll get you started with a star .

Happy Trails .

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by okbmd

Hey, thanks for that and the welcome!

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I would figure out what amount of the money I needed to invest or start a business. I'd pick one... in a field I could do work in and thereby affect proceeds. I wouldn't leave it to someone else to run. I'd probably want to build or make something. I've been very interested in building almost entirely "green" houses. It's always a good time for the green market (in a manner of speaking, not financially) but it's not a good time for the housing market.

Anyway.... I'd do something to have some kind of revenue flow but not very lofty gains... frugal gains, spending the rest on crap I want and charity and people I know and some savings or smaller investments... and use the business profits to live off of and give future charity.

I would invest in a bunch of solar crap and a bunch of other nifty stuff.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Finish my education to be an RN, and then after graduation, I would work but I wouldn't have to work the 4 or 5 twelve hour shifts a week I'm projecting to have to at this point. The rest of the time I would devote to animal welfare, create a sanctuary for animals that are abused, unwanted or injured, and offer free spay and neuter to anyone with animals to stop the animal overpopulation problem. And also offer large rewards to anyone that will identify or turn in an animal abuser. I don't care about having 'stuff', I lost everything I had in Katrina, and I learned I can live very happily without all that 'stuff'. I'd rather be out in the world making it a better place.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
After paying off my debts I would very carefully spend a great deal of time planning revenge of the people who have been evil to me. Torturing them to the best of my ability until I am able to drive them to suicide. I would have lawyers sue them for frivolous things in a constant effort to wear them out through attrition with legal fees until they are dirt under my feet. I would destroy every relationship they had until they found themselves penniless, alone, and homeless. I would ridicule my family members who have been less than loyal and force them to grovel, beg, and kiss my ass for any loan they would wish to have, and only reward them incrementally in order to keep them coming back. I would tear the loyalty of their children and their spouses with gifts while I denigrate and humiliate them publicly while I privately tell them how worthless they are... And then perhaps a nice cold fountain drink.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I'd get out of debt, a great way to give the finger to companies that make money on continuing poverty! And help out family and friends by paying off their houses or buying them a house that's within their means to maintain. But that's not really what you asked.
Giving to a charity is generally positive, because in order to receive charity you must go ask for it. Yes, many people ask for charity without doing the work to help themselves. But not all people. Some people need the life lesson that they are not alone. Or that they must ask for help once in a while. I see that as learning that we are all part of the same world, that being able to accept a gift is a gift in an of itself. People do not give out of pity. They give because giving makes them feel good. Does the existence of poverty make it possible for middle class or comfortably well off people to feel better about their lives? Could that be one of the many reasons why people suffer? Is suffering a way to bring humanity closer to each other?

Yeah, 55 million spread around to ever poor person in your own country would make a difference to some, and ruin the lives of others. But it's their choice, isn't it? As giving it away might be your choice?

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Divide it all up equally and give it to those who have nothing.. Have no need nor desire for wealth and material things.. Thus would give it to those who truly need it to try and make their lives a little better...

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Hire a lawyer and an accountant.
Continue to work at least part-time.
Start a small business.
Open nursing home for vets.
Invest in technology for disabled.
Support family, friends and sons.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
"What would you do with 55-100 Mil?"

I would count it

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I would put 10 million in stocks/bonds so I receive dividends/profit annually.

I'd use 40 million and build a large submarine made of advanced composites to live in. I'd use the John Kanzius method to turn saltwater into hydrogen and power the sub with sea water. I would then live at sea and only come in to port once every 6 months to get food and supplies, using my stocks and bond profit to fund needed supplies.

I don't like the evil society we have today. I'd be a modern hermit living in the middle of the ocean in my portable Laboratory. I'd have a unmanned little sea rover I'd send out to the latest ship lost at sea to recover goods and materials to hock in foreign ports for the black market for a little extra money on the side.

Ahhh if I only had won the lottery....

I'd be a good pirate. ARRR!

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I would move me and all my money to Cambodia and start a school/care center for the kids living in the garbage mounds outside Phnom Penh.

That hellhole made me cry like a baby, and it still makes me choke just thinking about it. I had 4000us when I came there and left with 500. I still pay around 500 monthly to keep two sisters in school there.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

I would buy some land where my nearest neighbor is 20 miles away and wal-mart is hopefully not even in the same town. I would then build my home; green, all solar and water and wind to power it completely. I'd also have a well, and not be hooked to city water. I know not where this utopiatic hypothetical place is, I am guessing maybe somewhere in Wyoming or Iowa or Nebraska? I'd also grow my own food, as well as have chickens and cows and pigs. Sorry I like my meat! (This stuff would be used in my restaurant as well as to feed my family, well we'd probably all eat there at the restaurant anyway.)
A portion would be put into college funds for my children, all 3 of them, because I would like them to have a fair shot at making it in the world. They deserve that. Plus then their healthcare and of course they all need dental care, which I would pay for as well as fix my teeth, because pretty soon if I don't, I will end up having to eat nothing but pudding and soup for the remainder of my life!
I would not donate a dime of my money to any charity, and I will tell you why, most of that money goes to the organization and not to the people that need it. Instead I would open a restaurant business (that means those that can pay will), and open it daily off hours for feeding the homeless or even those whom otherwise would not be able to eat. (I haven't quite figured out how I'd go about this, or maybe just run it to the local church during operating hours with my business run by my husband and I would do the feeding at the church to make sure the food is actually given to the needy.)
There are several close friends of mine who are disabled and really having a rough time that I would help out, as the stupid idiotic government programs are doing nothing at all or next to nothing for them that I would help out. I'd help out my family members and I would invest in probably gold and silver.
I'd probably give help to any individual that really just asked on a one on one basis. Maybe I'd start my own organization to give, but it would be wholly non profit and be run by me and me & my family alone(so no one could corrupt it).This when I die would be left to my girls to manage. It would be for help with housing, medical/dental,clothing, food, etc.the logistics of it I haven't fully worked out. I don't think I'd need investors, I could use the money from my investments and restaurant business as the supply maybe. I am not too sure, but everyone asking for help would be thoroughly assessed as to their needs, if in fact they have unmet needs, and how much they need, on a person to person basis. It would be a lot more personal than the "Government" programs. This would be for US citizens, because I feel that we need to take care of our own country. The foriegn aid thing is not for me, and anyway their problems are too big to solve. Charity begins in the home they say. I truly feel we as Americans are paying too much to foreign aid while they bilke and rape the common US citizen!!!! JMO.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I would buy a mountain in the Blue Ridge, build a rustic cabin, raise goats and turkeys, be self sufficient, and collect Farm-All tractors....hey wait....I already do that. LOL

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I sometimes wonder the purity of intent of all the ones that say they would use it to help people.

I would take care of my family first, maybe set up a scholarship program for people that want mental health treatment for what ever disorder thats causing them pain and suffering.

Hypothetical 180 million take home. The Tx Lottery Mega Millions is now up to almost 300 million.

Little over 1/3rd would go to family and friends (80 mil)

Little over 1/3rd to me (70 mil)

The remaining 30 million to the scholarship fund for mental health help (addictions, disorders, psychiatric) ones who cant afford treatment, job training, meds etc

Unfortunately for giving this money to family and friends and social services would all get triple dipped on by taxes.

Perhaps I keep 70 million for friends and family use 110 million to create a blackwater type team that practiced positive terrorism against those engaged in the raping of the innocent commoners (high profiles in corp, gov, mil, think tanks etc) You know...the ones that carry out the false flags to push their evil agendas. The so called untouchables.

A sort of black on black organization. Call it something like the Order of Prometheus or some sort of name disrespecting the evil orders at play now, Maybe Order of the Gecko Oppressors (oGo). We oppress the geckos.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
umbrella drinks and dirty nekkid freaks in a South American country.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
save the money for a rainy day.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Pay off debt, buy stuff and give some to the people we like. Save the rest.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join