It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8 Smears and Misconceptions About WikiLeaks Spread By the Media

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

8 Smears and Misconceptions About WikiLeaks Spread By the Media

www.alternet.org

Here are the bogus narratives that keep appearing in newspapers and on the airwaves.

1. Fearmongering that WikiLeaks revelations will result in deaths. So far there's no evidence that WikiLeaks' revelations have cost lives. In fact, right before the cables were released, Pentagon officials admitted there were no documented instances of people being killed because of information exposed by WikiLeaks' previous document releases (and unlike the diplomatic cables, the Afghanistan files were unredacted).

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
This is an importantant distinction to make, to be educated about, and to educate others on, as the gov and corpomedia shills are working overtime to try and spin outright disinfo regarding this, around the clock.

This fits the very definition of "Alternative" News, as this is exposing the USUAL news we see broadcast all over every outlet as the propaganda for which it is.

Now I know there are Assange and WL detractors here who question the very MOTIVE behind these cable leaks, and I myself am still keeping an open mind of any and all possibilities here, but that being said, there are unquestionably some outright LIES being repeated over and over, ad nauseum on most of the outlets which bar exposure, imho...

So let's take a look at the most common falsehoods we see being bellowed out, on nearly all of the mainstream outlets:

*SNIP*

www.alternet.org

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 12/31/2010 by Mirthful Me because: BAN Submission Guidelines Violation.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Am I the only one that notices nobody is posting the actual cables? It's all about media attention over assange.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

Not only not posting the cables, but not even discussing the MATERIAL within them, and WHAT they expose.

You are exactly right---It is all about personal crap on Assange. Nothing to do with what is being REVEALED by wikileaks.

Our media system is an absolute JOKE.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
How about the 5 lies wikileak and Assange spreads.

1. Transparent information.

2. Manning being helped by wikileaks.

3. Not funded by Soros.

4. Not an NWO agenda.

5. Is world changing.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
i read some stuff about the us being worried about nelson mandelas future(in the past) release from prison that was interesting, and i read a cable between david cameron and joe lieberman kind of talking up an invasion or some kind of military action agaisnt iran. thats all i could find of any interest out of about 50 or so cables i read. i then got bored and gave up, but i am sure there are more interesting things than this available.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Good catch - glad somebody organized the points.

From the Walkley Foundation in Australia:

“To aggressively attempt to shut WikiLeaks down, to threaten to prosecute those who publish official leaks, and to pressure companies to cease doing commercial business with WikiLeaks, is a serious threat to democracy, which relies on a free and fearless press.”

And the last paragraph of your source article:

The promise that the next release will target a U.S. bank, and that it will have an effect similar to the Enron disclosures, according to Assange, certainly portends that the trove of information we haven’t yet seen could be explosive. And that is incredibly valuable to the American public.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
There are many myths and unsourced claims about Wikileaks, presumably coming from CIA Headquarters. I see these lies propagated on this forum, and other conspiracy forums. Especially on the Alex Jones show. It's time to set the record straight.

1) MYTH: Wikileaks is insecure. They gave out Bradley Manning's identity!

REALITY: Wikileaks is completely secure. They didn't know who Manning was, until he went and bragged, on a totally separate website, about leaking the documents. Manning gave himself in, by stupidly bragging. He was ratted out by Adrian Lamo, who he was stupid enough to talk to in the first place.

2) MYTH: Wikileaks has released nothing of significance.

REALITY: Wikileaks has shown that Hillary Clinton ordered the US to spy on the UN, to gain biometric information, passwords etc. Wikileaks has shown video of US soldiers murdering civilians. Wikileaks has shown 2009 DynCorp sex slavery in Afghanistan. Wikileaks has mapped virtually every single death from the Middle East wars, giving precise figures.

Only 2,000 of the 250,000 cables have been released. There is stuff on the banks, presumably the Russians.

3) MYTH: Julian Assange is a rapist.

FACT: Two women, one with ties to the CIA, have accused Julian Assange of rape. Despite this, one woman was found later saying good things about Assange, was found changing her story about the rape, and has now fled from Sweden, clearly a sign of her guilt.

4) MYTH: Julian Assange is a mind control, sex slave, MK Ultra CIA zombie designed to shut down the Internet.

FACT: This lie was spewed by Webster Tarpley on the Alex Jones Show.

He said that because Julian Assange's hair is no longer blonde, he must be under mind control..... lol. He said because Julian Assange sometimes speaks in a monotonous voice, he must be under mind control.. (Obviously he didn't see his emotional speech after being held in prison for over a week). He said Julian Assange used to be a computer hacker and therefore he is working for the CIA... lol.

Alex Jones said Julian Assange must either be a useful idiot, or directly working for the CIA. It's funny, that when someone exposes the banks and government, Alex Jones is one of the first people to make up lies about the guy. I wonder why Alex does this...

Even if the Internet were to be restricted as a result of this, that wouldn't mean Alex was right.

These are documents that were available to almost everyone in the military. It only took one person to leak them. It doesn't make anyone CIA....

-----------------------------------------

I was expecting the conspiracy world to be elated when these hundreds of thousands of documents were released. It seems as if certain people, certain conspiracy people in the conspiracy industry are a little bit upset that Julian Assange is now the big story.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by c1172558

i am sure all this publicity and stress could be the reason that he has lost his blond locks, plus the rapes werent even rapes he was supposed to have put holes in condoms or something along those lines.
thats the type of thing someone crazy would do to someone they love not the type of thing someone does for a thrill.

its funny how people in europe and australia dont hear all these bad things about assange so often, i mean we heard about him and the swedish rape charges but most people i know think he is doing good apart from my teenage autistic cousin who is a very confusing person when you talk to him, he is a member of the labour party but is extremely right wing.

no offence to anyone autistic out there but other peoples feelings and freedom are not top of his list.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecinic
How about the 5 lies wikileak and Assange spreads.

1. Transparent information.

3. Not funded by Soros.

4. Not an NWO agenda.

5. Is world changing.

I've never heard Wikileaks or Assange say:

1. Manning was helped by wikileaks

2. Not funded by Soros

3. Not an NWO agenda

Oh and it has been world changing even with the majority of cables yet to be realeased

Only point I can agree with slightly is the transparency

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecinic

We will never even know if it was Manning who leaked the documents. System is setup completely anonymous. Only reason they think it is him is because he himself said that and was then turned in.
for all your lies again on this post.
edit on 31/12/2010 by PsykoOps because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Josonic

I was going to post a comment snuffing out all of his points, but it gets old arguing with cinic.
What do you do one someone decides to build their house of ignorance and never come out? I don't know.
But I'm curious how you agree with there being a transparency issue.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

There is a lot of lies being spun and that should allow most to people to work out what is really going on if they thought about it. The media sucks there is stuff in some of those cables that should put peeps in prison..
and all we get is news about assanges rape charges........
kx

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
It works both ways too.

Climategate Emails.

"Now, basking in the celebrity spotlight from the various leaks of diplomatic communications, Julian Assange and wikileaks has attempted to take credit for things that they had little to do with. In this Video, Mr. Assange takes full credit for the release of “over ten years’ worth of emails."

wattsupwiththat.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
reply to post by hippomchippo

Not only not posting the cables, but not even discussing the MATERIAL within them, and WHAT they expose.

You are exactly right---It is all about personal crap on Assange. Nothing to do with what is being REVEALED by wikileaks.

Our media system is an absolute JOKE.

Great...S&F

I like that you do not pass judgement on the motivations of the man. None of us (including the MSM) know the soul or mind of this man.

Your thread is focused on those we depend on to provide us with insights and how they (MSM) are failing miserably. You said it best..."Our media system is an absolute JOKE

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join