It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's called "FAITH" because it's not knowledge

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

Science is not blind, it uses rational evidence. Science is always at the brink of the "known", and of course scientists may get it wrong, but they are willing to admit and move on when they are. That's what makes a good scienctist that values "truth".

My statement was not that science was blind. But that many put a blind faith in it. They believe whatever scientists tell them, even if they are not willing or able to check those "facts" for themselves. I have nothing against science. It is what it is. And does what it is supposed to do. I read scientific studies and peer reviewed papers, watch scientific docs, keep up with technology, etc. But I don't believe it just because some triple Phd with glorious peer reviews says it's true. But I do take what they say into consideration. I just don't place my faith in them.

Religion is blind, know human can claim to know God ("human experience" is meaningless) Yet the theists that form these religions not only claim to know of God existence, but of his/her/it's desires. THis is wrong and irrational. Teaching this to our children can shape their mind for life, and all on "faith". It's what scientologists are doing, it's what religion has done for years.

I will be the first to agree that the world's "religions" are all manmade. But what is wrong and irrational is doing the same thing those religions are doing. You claim to "know" there is no god. Yet it is beyond your ability to prove this "fact". So if you teach there is no god, how are you different from them?

Human experience is all you have sir. It is the reason you are able to reason. It is the reason you can debate on the topic of your choice with any certainty at all. Human experience says if I place my hand in the fire, it's going to hurt real bad. If I walk in front of that car, I might die. Human experience is your ability to say, "there is no god".

I'll save the debate on Rand, Darwin, Dawkins, and evolution for another time since they are off topic.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

My statement was not that science was blind. But that many put a blind faith in it. They believe whatever scientists tell them, even if they are not willing or able to check those "facts" for themselves. I have nothing against science. It is what it is. And does what it is supposed to do. I read scientific studies and peer reviewed papers, watch scientific docs, keep up with technology, etc. But I don't believe it just because some triple Phd with glorious peer reviews says it's true. But I do take what they say into consideration. I just don't place my faith in them.

Well i guess i agree with you then on this particular point. SCience is always changing and updating. Everything should be questioned, you should be sceptical of every theory, thats what makes science brilliant. That's why i have faith in it, because it's a reliable means at gathering knowledge.

I'd sooner trust a scientist than a priest when it comes to claims to "truth". And i'm not talking moral truths because these are subjective and best saved for philosophy or ethical debates. It's man made like you said, God is merely a conjuring trick, for what they don't know they have personfied, no evidence has been presented that shows there is a God or that the God is the god of the christian faith.

So if you teach there is no god, how are you different from them?

I don't do this, this would be immmoral, i cannot claim there is no God, however, i admit, this has to remain a belief that i think there is no God. I'm just waiting for the evidence to come forward. It's called agnostic atheism, i don't know, so i won't preach lies to children.

Supernaturl deities comes from an age when man knew little, and used God as a term to rationalise everything, from weather, natural disasters to human morality.

What is your faith?

A&A
edit on 1/1/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

Faith brings knowledge!

All people have faith in who they are and who others are.

Humans have reached this point in evolution by thinking positive of themself and others. This brings support for the people around them. We work to support ourselves and country to move forward and evolve. All parents know having a child is the greatest gift they can offer humanity. This is the faith of spirit inside all cultures and religions.

Some people don't realize the meaning of themself.

With faith and knowledge we move to wisdom!

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Archangelelijah

No, with science we can find knowledge, truth. WIth philosophy we can evolve our ethical and moral teachings. Religions and all this Spirituality nonsense has to go, it's cold reading, it's false hope and irrational babbel.

Faith is the most overated human virtue.

(Not talking about loyalty or allegiance to a cause or person) I'm talking about blind faith; believing without evidence.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Actually the most intelligent thing a person can do is acknowledge the fact that there is a being that is superior to him.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by oliveoil
Actually the most intelligent thing a person can do is acknowledge the fact that there is a being that is superior to him.

No - its not.

Fact is knowledge. There is no fact in superior being.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

If you believe all is energy (as you have stated before), do you believe you are that energy exclusively and entirely? If you are only a part of that energy, then you are simply a part of energy that is bigger than you personally, or a "superior" being of energy. Though, the connotation of "superior" is a bit mangled to fit there. If one is an equal part of the energy of "everything," then what would you view the sum of the parts to be?

If you feel that you personally are energy exclusively, what does that make the rest of us?

As always, i look forward to hearing your response annee (did you know you spelled your name wrong? spellchecker says so
)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Okay Annee, So what you are telling me is that there is no one in your realm of existence that possesses more intelligence than you? Yeah right!

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by sinohptik
reply to post by Annee

If you believe all is energy (as you have stated before), do you believe you are that energy exclusively and entirely? If you are only a part of that energy, then you are simply a part of energy that is bigger than you personally, or a "superior" being of energy. Though, the connotation of "superior" is a bit mangled to fit there. If one is an equal part of the energy of "everything," then what would you view the sum of the parts to be?

If you feel that you personally are energy exclusively, what does that make the rest of us?

As always, i look forward to hearing your response annee (did you know you spelled your name wrong? spellchecker says so
)

Hi! Its a bit complicated - - but also very simple.

Will need to get back to you a bit later.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Faith is trust. Faith sets free. Faith brings miracles. To have faith in humanity. God can be there when you need Him. God paves ways.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

No - its not.

How many times has science changed, as facts are changed. Like how gravity works, is not how your taught at school, even though it was sold to you as fact.

So with regards to superior being, so there is no such thing eh. How about us compared to an ant. Do you think an ant has any understanding of us, or that we exist and have power over them?

Like how i found out in london in 1992 they used electronic mind control techs in schools on kids. See this is a fact that only i found out, not anyone else seemingly in the western culture. So how come i found out this fact and all these smart science people never found it out at school?

See facts exist you have no idea about.
edit on 1/6/2011 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

No - its not.

How many times has science changed, as facts are changed. Like how gravity works, is not how your taught at school, even though it was sold to you as fact.

Fact is something that can be tested on what is known.

When more or new information is known - - it may change tested fact.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Fact is something that can be tested on what is known.

When more or new information is known - - it may change tested fact.

Quantum mechanics is all to do with faith, you cannot view things that small, is was just faith. Evolution is just faith and never proven to any factual level. Gravity is still being taught in schools although they know its totally false science(gravity exist but has nothing to do with how your taught it is). These three things are taught as fact.

See where science is also just faith. Consensus reality and has just as many holes in as anything.
edit on 1/6/2011 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Science always falls inthe wrong hands. Why would one want to nknow how gravity works if you don't want to mess with it. Let us keep all things on the ground. Well, while they are busy, can you make everything gravitate at my hight so no one can reach but me.
I said, it always falls in the wrong hands, well, this time it wouldn't. Just to prove myself wrong..
edit on 2011/1/6 by etherical waterwave because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by etherical waterwave

Yep thats why they keep what gravity is secret so it cannot be used by others, and turned into weapons.

But just shows you how science is taught deliberately as falsehoods, and people believe as facts.

If they lie about gravity what else are they lying about in science to the public?

Just remember evolution was something they tried to con people into believing with false missing links. Einstein said if someone lies in small matters why listen to them on big things, ok i am paraphrasing you get the jist.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Quantum mechanics is all to do with faith

Hahahaha.

I guess radio waves don't exist because you can't see them? Cool stories bro, nice logic there.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware

Quantum mechanics is all to do with faith

Hahahaha.

I guess radio waves don't exist because you can't see them? Cool stories bro, nice logic there.

What are you talking about? Quantum mechanics is all about guessing what will happen, you cannot see or do anything to verify the fact it exists.

You can verify radio waves exists as you can transmit and receive them. But what do you do about things like quantum mechanics where you cannot do any verifications period.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I was being sarcastic, of course quantam mechanics is not simply faith, where have you have seen an experiment to prove a faith?

The Double-slit experiment

Faith is blind "God is most definetly the Christian God"

I mentioned radio waves because of course we can PROVE they are there or that they function. Just because they're "invisible" doesn't mean they are not there.

Radio waves don't require "FAITH"

Radio Waves

You cannot use the same argument for God, it's an argument from ignorance.

"You can't prove God doesn't exist, therefore it's true." This is irrational and extremely pressumptious.

Cosmic teapot anology explains this argument from ignorance. (Bertrand Russel)

Argument from ignorance
edit on 6/1/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join