It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV Crew Covering President Claims Mistreatment

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Producer Injured When Police Officer Grabs Camera

"HONOLULU -- A public access television crew complained of police mistreatment Thursday, after trying to get a picture of President Barrack Obama."

Evidently another case of out-of-control LEO's coming down hard on the folks to show 'em who's boss.

Pigs will be Pigs

Be sure to watch the video...

www.kitv.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
A few pieces of relevant information left out of the OP.

Just after dawn Wednesday, the three-woman crew for a Big Island public access program called "We Are Change Hawaii" drove up to the barricade near the president's vacation home in Kailua.

The crew was video-taping vehicle searches along the potential motorcade route as they left the neighborhood. They noticed a van behind them.

Any idiot knows you don't go right up to the barricade where the president is staying, then video tape the vehicle searches after you're told to leave, and expect not to be stopped and questioned. I take that back, apparently not every idiot is aware of that. What they did may not have been illegal, but you can bet your butt that the secret service and law enforcement of whatever town the president is in at any given time take his safety very seriously. For all they (law enforcement) knew, this camera crew were taping everything with nefarious intent. Did the cop take it a bit too far by jerking the camera out of her hands? Perhaps. We weren't there and don't know exactly what happened beyond what was reported in the news article. But by her own words he snatched it out of her hand and it just happened to cut her. It's not like the cop beat her with it.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

They were following the car AFTER they had left. They were looking for a chance to showboat and throw their authority in their face, like most all goons in the service of the Police State of Amerika.

They then made a move on them at the gas station for no reason. Then they had the nerve to tell them they did not have a right to film the LEO's. Damaging the camera for no reason. No doubt in my mind that these guys were out to cause havoc

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by romanmel
No doubt in my mind that these guys were out to cause havoc

Yes that's why, by the woman's own admission, the cop looked shaken when he realized her hand was cut by the camera when he took it away from her. That's also why he wrote his name and badge number down for her and made sure she understood how to file a complaint.

edit on 12/31/2010 by Jenna because: Fixed run on sentence for better readability, and to prevent grammer nazi's from finding me.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna

No doubt in my mind that these guys were out to cause havoc

Yes that's why, by the woman's own admission, the cop looked shaken when he realized her hand was cut by the camera when he took it away from her. That's also why he wrote his name and badge number down for her and made sure she understood how to file a complaint.

edit on 12/31/2010 by Jenna because: Fixed run on sentence for better readability, and to prevent grammer nazi's from finding me.

He only became "nice" because he realized they were being recorded. That is why everyone should carry a small camcorder when they are out and about to keep these types at bay..

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

He only became "nice" because he realized they were being recorded.

That makes no sense whatsoever.. They saw the woman with the camera at the barricade. They likely saw it as the camera crew was filming vehicle searches on their way past. They saw it in her hands when they walked up to the car. Yet they didn't realize she was recording until after he took the camera from her?

I get it. I really do. You're looking for justification to bash on law enforcement. (Because, you know, we don't have any threads that do that.) Hate to break it to you friend, but the justification just isn't there on this one. Was it an unfortunate incident? Yep. Should he have snatched the camera away from her? Maybe, maybe not. We don't have the whole story, we just have her side and the truth can never be found by listening to only one side.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

I appreciate you do not feel the police were at fault. We just don't agree.

As for trying to "bash cops". I don't have to make up stuff. Just go to youtube.com and search "police brutality". It's everywhere.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by romanmel

I'm also a producer/director for a cable access channel and used to run into police harassment on a regular basis.
For some reason cops hate video cameras and sticking a camera in their face is asking for trouble. Now When covering a controversial events we never use big video cameras boom mic poles, sound equip. lights etc.
We use very concealable minicamcorders or iphones to send footage back directly to the station. If the story is more important than "showboating" and appearing to be a video journalist; always "fly under the radar" use utmost discretion and absolutely call no attention to yourself or crew. However, if confronted always be courteous, present your ID, and press credentials.

When interviewing witnesses, always move away from the action to avoid intimidation to yourself, crew and the witness.

Everyone should be a citizen producer and video everything. Get one of these...www.pcworld.com...

HD, good sound and you're in business to expose graft, corruption, brutality, and heroism of those sworn to "protect and serve" or anybody else for that matter; and an added benefit is that network stations pay BIG bucks for on the scene video of disasters, accidents, tornadoes, car crashes, celebrities, etc.

and always carry the phone number of your personal attorney or stations lawyer, just in case.

Smile, you're on.....

edit on 31-12-2010 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-12-2010 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Hawaii is a public island. Sorry but Obama should be illegally bound by the SAME treatment he enforces on the very people who pay his salary.

If we can't go up to him in his vacation home (when so many right now don't even have a MAIN home but that's another thread for another time....) then......perhaps he should slunk off to one of his under-ground bunkers then.

How dare him take vacation anyway? What the hell does he do that requires a vacation? This country is about to fall apart at the seams and he's in Hawaii? Good gawd.

Ron Paul 2012~

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
How dare him take vacation anyway? What the hell does he do that requires a vacation? This country is about to fall apart at the seams and he's in Hawaii? Good gawd.

Are you suggesting that the President can't run the country from Hawaii, the 50th state? You do realize that presidents may "go" on vacation, but they are never "on" vacation. He can be just as effective in Honolulu as he can in Washington D.C.

Now, on topic, the way the police handled this situation wasn't appropriate; however, I don't believe for a minute that Obama directed those officers to damage cameras, injure media members or obstruct the media.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Are you suggesting that the President can't run the country from Hawaii, the 50th state? You do realize that presidents may "go" on vacation, but they are never "on" vacation. He can be just as effective in Honolulu as he can in Washington D.C.

Now, on topic, the way the police handled this situation wasn't appropriate; however, I don't believe for a minute that Obama directed those officers to damage cameras, injure media members or obstruct the media.

Well seeing he's 'running' it into the ground, sure.

All I am seeing lately are American cops who are robotic apathetic insensitive and out-of-shape soldiers who are the citizen's enemy!

When I was young, cops were are cool and our friends. We could go up to them, shoot the chit and discuss our concerns. We loved them. In fact, we looked up to them and inspired to be one.

Now? To every one 'decent' cop there are five idiots who over abuse their badge.
Sorry. Just reportin' it as I see it.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

If we can't go up to him in his vacation home (when so many right now don't even have a MAIN home but that's another thread for another time....) then......perhaps he should slunk off to one of his under-ground bunkers then.

In what universe have people been able to go up to the president, whether he's in the White House or a vacation house, without having advance clearance? And what on earth does that have to do with people not having a main home? I don't care too much for the man either but that topic and this one aren't related.

I didn't like Bush's million vacations and I don't like Obama's either, but that's irrelevant to this thread as well. The topic is a camera crew doing what amounts to surveillance on the area where the president is staying after being told to leave and a cop snatching the camera out of a woman's hand and in doing so cut her hand with it. Like the man or not, his safety is of the utmost importance to the Secret Service and law enforcement in whatever town he happens to be in at any given moment as it should be and you don't screw around when it comes to the president's safety.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

A president should be accessible to his/her people. That's the way it USED to be. What's happened? What. no one trusts anyone anymore? I wonder why......................

I used to be able to go to my mayors office and just, talk to him. Again, what's happening here?
The Pope used to travel without a pope-mobile too.

This world is OUT OF CONTROL.

I know this thread is about TV crew in Hawaii blah blah blah.
I am a bit deeper here. Sorry.

Many people I know don't have homes because of this crisis. Yet Obama is on vacation in his 'vacation home'.......and his entourage won't allow photos? Oh too bad................!

He doesn't want photos and we don't want foreclosure. Now I ask ya, what's more important?

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

reply to post by Jenna

A president should be accessible to his/her people. That's the way it USED to be. What's happened?

Assassinations and attempts have a funny way of changing things. You want access, make an appointment and go through the proper security procedures.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

A president should be accessible to his/her people. That's the way it USED to be. What's happened? What. no one trusts anyone anymore? I wonder why......................

Aggie already covered this but I think it needs reiterated: Assassinations happened. No one is trusted around the presidents anymore because this is a screwed up world we live in where people think it's ok to kill each other over what amounts to a difference in opinion.

I am a bit deeper here.

No, you're a bit off topic here.

and his entourage won't allow photos?

It wasn't about not allowing photos, which you would know had you read the article. It was about them driving right up to the barricade, filming vehicle searches, and getting caught. You don't do that when it comes to Obama, Queen Elizabeth, or the Pope because their security detail will be on you quicker than you can blink. Why? Because they are responsible for the safety of the person they are guarding and no one wants to be the guy who let the president get shot.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

New Law: No taking your car on a road then realizing......... it's a ''private' road and .............leaving.

You're toast and so is your equipment, even though you complied without being told to.

I get it!
Yes'sim!
Copy that!

PS Perhaps the POTUS ought not have a public itinerary then! Who would've thunk-it???????????
PPS. I hope that woman sues! Maybe she'll be on the next Dog the Bounty Hunter too!

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Producer Injured When Police Officer Grabs Camera

"HONOLULU -- A public access television crew complained of police mistreatment Thursday, after trying to get a picture of President Barrack Obama."

Evidently another case of out-of-control LEO's coming down hard on the folks to show 'em who's boss.

Pigs will be Pigs

Be sure to watch the video...

www.kitv.com...

do you realize how many death threats the first black president of the united states gets? apparently not...like the previous posters have said, why don't you tell the rest of the story. weapons can and have been made to look like cameras, and obviously the news crew did not get permission or even tell the authorities that they would be there. actually, i thought the police were rather restrained in their initial reaction. it's amazing they weren't thrown to the ground, searched, cuffed, and then taken into custody for further questioning. it's simple really...notify the authorities first. he's the president of the united states, for christs sakes, not some 2-bit hollywood celebrity.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

You have a point. So like I suggested: don't tell your potential assassin your itinerary then. Do you really think we'd miss him in the White House? We have no idea what the POTUS is doing at any given point of the day/week/month/year anyway.
So why tell us when you'll be in Hawaii? Is it so we don't waste a dime when getting his answering machine?

Puh-lease.

You're in the public limelight and hated by millions so keep your vacation plans to yourself /secret service.

Just for the record, I dislike every president so this one is no different!

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

A president should be accessible to his/her people. That's the way it USED to be. What's happened? What. no one trusts anyone anymore? I wonder why

I don't know. Ask the people who've tried to assassinate US Presidents since George Washington. Maybe that's the reason why the Prez isn't as accessible as he use to be.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
do you realize how many death threats the first black president of the united states gets?

Dude, do you realize how many death threats ANY President probably gets? I'm certain that Bush Jr got his fair share, too.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join