It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walking The Narrow Way

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by truthiron

My salvation is not merited by my works. My 'narrow way' to salvation is Jesus Christ. He is the hero of my story, not myself.

John 14:6 ~ "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

He said 'I am the way', not 'let me show you the way..". Rewards can be won or lost, salvation cannot. Once a person is born again, and a new creature in Christ, how can they possibly un-create themselves?

edit on 2-1-2011 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

NOTurTYpical,

We certainly agree on those points. He also stated "few" would find it. Many want to make another way other than He showed, so wide any in the world would find it and walk in it.

When we trully Love Him it is no longer works but is our way also.

I find we are free in His Way.

Warm Greetings on this cold Jan, 2, 2011

Truthiron

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by freedish

Good question and I've always wonder this myself.
Sometimes I ask myself, 'am I fully surrendered to God?'
And then I start to question my salvation.
There are many things I feel I am holding on to..like fear, and anxiety, and worry,
and some sins that often get the best of me.
But He often reminds me that we are saved by Grace and we cannot lose our salvation
because you cannot lose a gift.
However the only way to be pleasing to Him is to walk in the spirit.
For our own deeds our dirty rags to Him.
As long as we believe He is the son of God and died for Us
we are walking the narrow path to His kingdom,
sure we may stumble occasionally, but in the end
we will make it. Hope this helps! God bless~

edit on 2-1-2011 by freedish because: (no reason given)

freedish,

We just need to watch and not fall back into the world that we came out of. That is known as backsliding and the term isn't used much anymore. There is many texts on that and one I will set out here.--

Jer 8:5 Why then is this people of Jerusalem slidden back by a perpetual backsliding? they hold fast deceit, they refuse to return.

I would say we are the same today. We just must remember He made the Way Narrow but not hard. Since He made it Narrow we can not make it wide.

You are right, we must continually examine ourselves and keep our eyes on Him.

A warm Greeting on this cold Jan, 2, 2011.

Truthiron.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Re Cosmic.Artifact

My initial comment: "Sieg heil and hallelujah" is only insulting to those who support the fascist 'christian' fringe, and I've repeatedly made it clear, that my only opposition to non-invasive christianity will be purely academic, though not necessarily sugar-coated. I have NO intentions or attitudes suggesting practical restrictions of civil egalitarian or liberal rights for christians, who can adapt to secular law.

Personally I'm convinced of the existence of such a christian fascism, and historically (and up to contemporary society) this kind of extremist 'christianity' has demonstrated its willingness to impose its 'values' on mankind with various invasive methods. As have other extremist ideologies.

This has resulted in a polarization between liberal democracy on one side and practically all fascist extremist ideologies on the other side. And when fascist extremist don't fight each other (usually dragging their non-participant surroundings into the fight), they fight liberal democracy.

As I already have stated, the OP contains an option of rejecting liberal principles (including the legalistic aspect) in favour of the doctrines of one of the christianities. This could be a harmless proposal for choosing private directions in life, still respecting seculat laws, or it could be a camouflaged agenda for a slow undermining of the principles of secular, egalitarian society.

If the intent of the OP is a non-violent pushing of one of the christianities, I'm just pushing back.

If the intent of the OP is a suggestion of backstabbing liberal society, I will be annoyingly, and very critically insistent until this comes out in the open.

I believe, after confronting Truthiron with these two options, that he/she isn't a violent person, who would encourage the downfall of liberal society. But after many a confrontations with various kind of extremist fanatics I have learned one thing: Blindly trusting their motives, methods or decency without questions can be suicidal. For such individuals there's usually only one rule: "The aim justifies the means".

This goes for Kali-thuggees, hard-core commie 'liberation' armies, Jihad'ists, neo-nazis as welll as for 'christian soldiers'.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

warm greetings to you too. I merely wanted to stress the distinction between "salvation" (which is a free gift to all those who ask), and "sanctification" which is VERY hard and painful for a person to go through. So often people blur the lines between the two works of the Holy Spirit. Salvation is simple, sanctification will cause you to "die" to yourself.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

He also stated "few" would find it.

So? In English we get "few", in the Greek the NT was written in it simply means "not the majority". We often have "many" in the English NT, the Greek for that English word "many" means "majority". I would be careful not to make a doctrine of the English rendering of Greek words. Especially when that doctrine begins to cancel out other verses in scripture that declare 'ANYONE who calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved', and especially the verse in my sig (Romans 10:9).

There are 1+ billion (give or take) professed Christians on Earth, if the population is at 7.1 billion, the professed Christians certainly are not in the "majority".

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

NOTurTypical,

That "few" , I checked the greek dictionary and it states,

oligos ol-ee'-gos
of uncertain affinity; puny (in extent, degree, number, duration or value); especially neuter (adverbially) somewhat:--+ almost, brief(-ly), few, (a) little, + long, a season, short, small, a while.

It is not a specified number but does indicate it isn't the majority.

Our safe way is abiding in Him and He in us.

Thanks.

Truthiron.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

It is not a specified number but does indicate it isn't the majority.

Definitely not, we agree. But always make sure your teaching doesn't violate other verses on the same subject. (Salvation) And always remember to sharply separate the verses that deal with sanctification and salvation, many Christians mix the two into heresies.

The good news of Jesus Christ is that He will save any and all whom humble themselves and ask. It's a free gift of God.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

. . .many Christians mix the two into heresies.

And what sort of heresies might that be?
Could you name a couple?
From my experience the only "heresy" involving sanctification was
a person claiming they have already reached perfection.
Striving for perfection is never a "heresy".
Go ahead and prove me wrong. I would really like to hear this.

edit on 3-1-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   

NOTurtypical,

True salvation is a gift as it can not be earned. The irony of the matter is, that many do not find it. Why is the question. It isn't because they don't want eternal life. The devils believe and tremble. Many will cry Lord, Lord and He will have to tell them, I never knew you.

The answer is compliance with the way He has made. Each must fall on Him, the Rock and be broken. We die of our old self and are born again in Him and His way is then our way. We are set free from the old way we had of walking in rebellion. We now find we are totally free within His will.

Christ in us is our hope of glory. We then are strenghtened and released from Satan's prison house of rebellion. Compliance with the law of love is no longer galding but welcomed as the way.

One must not go too far either way as legalism does not fulfill the law of love and neither does liberalism.

Those 10 commandments are a transcript of Him, His Love. He fulfilled them because He is Love. When that Love abides in us those commandments are a transcript of us also, of Love. We no longer are under the law as now it is part of us, it is in our hearts.

This was even understood before Bethlehem.

Ps 40:8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.

And so that narrow way becomes our delight. It is just narrow to those of the world. We no longer are of the world.

Joh 17:16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Truthiron.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
You can go very far unless you keep Him as Lord and carry Eph.6

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

. . .many Christians mix the two into heresies.

And what sort of heresies might that be?
Could you name a couple?
From my experience the only "heresy" involving sanctification was
a person claiming they have already reached perfection.
Striving for perfection is never a "heresy".
Go ahead and prove me wrong. I would really like to hear this.

When people mix the two (salvation and sanctification verses), they come away with a works-based salvation theology.

That's heretical.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
The two have to go together. True faith does the work.

Jas 2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

I of myself am nothing, it is He who dwells within is the strength and stay.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthiron
The two have to go together. True faith does the work.

Jas 2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

I of myself am nothing, it is He who dwells within is the strength and stay.

Hold on a sec. James is not discussing works prior to salvation, but works post-new birth. I have never declared a Christian should not be led by the Spirit to conform to the image of Jesus Christ. James is merely saying a person cannot prove they have been saved by uttering the words, the "proof" is in the actions.

Jesus said the same thing when warning of the wolves in sheeps clothing "by their fruits you shall know them."

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

NOTurtypical,

It just seemed to me you were pushing too far into liberality. That is the thrust of the thread more than the legalistic as we now live in a day all want to do it their way and continue as they always have.

When we trully become His we do walk in a different path.

Thanks

Truthiron.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

When people mix the two (salvation and sanctification verses), they come away with a works-based salvation theology.
I still don't get it.
Now there is a "works" thing, like paying money or back in the
Crusades, kill a Muslim, but those have nothing to do with
sanctification.
Being sanctified is to be put separate for a holy purpose, which
would be salvation, I mean God is not going to not save such
a one, would He? I don't see there being a separation. Maybe
you can inform me of where there is a place in the Bible which
makes a clear distinction. Jesus makes a distinction of empty
works done for show, but tell me where true and holy works
are condemned. I must have missed that.

edit on 3-1-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

NOTurtypical,

It just seemed to me you were pushing too far into liberality. That is the thrust of the thread more than the legalistic as we now live in a day all want to do it their way and continue as they always have.

When we trully become His we do walk in a different path.

Thanks

Truthiron.

Your assumption is very wrong. I have not advocated any such thing. We are to be sanctified, separated, to be holy for he is holy. At the same time, be not self-righteous about it. Admit we have no righteousness of our own other than the gifted righteousness of Christ. That's the merit of our salvation, His life, his holiness, his perfectness, His sinless life.

I want that to be abundantly clear, we cannot add to the works of Christ, just humbly accept the free gift of salvation. Be that as it may, it's entirely different thing to work diligently to be sanctified, to conform to Christ day by day.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

NOTurtyical,

We just give Him our allegiance in full surrender and walk with Him but no more the old way we once were in before being broken. Some wild horses like men are hard to break.

Truthiron.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Being sanctified is to be put separate for a holy purpose, which
would be salvation, I mean God is not going to not save such
a one, would He?

I'll point this out again. WHICH "salvation"? The Bible speaks of it in 3 tenses, past present and future. All Christians can say:

"I have been saved, I am being saved, and I will be saved."

Past: We have be saved from the PENALTY of sin, hell.

Present: We are being saved from the POWER of sin in our lives by the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit on a daily basis.

Future: We will be saved from the PRESENCE of sin in our bodies when our mortal takes on immortality, we we have a glorified sin-free body at the resurrection.

The bible ALSO speaks differently of "entering eternal life" and "inheriting eternal life". One can have great rewards from the Lord Jesus Christ from His Judgment seat, or can lose all their rewards that are works of "wood, stubble and hay".

When Christians blur the distinctions of the above into a "salvation by faith + works" instead of a salvation by faith alone through Christ's atonement alone it becomes heresy. The gift of eternal life, (the past tense used in the Bible of "salvation"), is a free gift, we never could merit it, it's God's grace.

But I'll stress this again, it's NOT a license to sin freely, that's absurd. The Bible says that's "trodden under foot the Son of God" (Hebrews 10:29) and that "His kindness leads to repentance" (Rom 2:4).

All scripture is harmonious, meaning if a doctrine makes other verses null and void it should be apparent it's a heresy. The past tense "salvation" (the penalty of sin) the Bible mentions is found in Romans 10:9, Romans 10:13, and Acts 2:21. It becomes heresy when taught either that one can merit salvation by their own works of righteousness, or that they can lose their salvation by sin. once a person is born again by the Holy Spirit they can not be unborn by their human effort. Once they are a new creation in Christ Jesus, they cannot uncreate themselves, that's just silliness.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

NOTurtyical,

We just give Him our allegiance in full surrender and walk with Him but no more the old way we once were in before being broken. Some wild horses like men are hard to break.

Truthiron.

True. But that person's salvation is never in risk, their rewards and place in the kingdom surely are, but not their eternal destiny. I can't stand when people teach their salvation is at risk, that's not supported by scripture and leads to either self-righteous pride ("I'm righteous and holy, look at me!") or despair ("I can't be perfect, I give up!"). Never joy in what the Lord has done for us.

He is the redeemer we are unworthy beneficiaries of God's abounding mercies and grace.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

NOTurtypical,

Many fall back into the old ways and it is called backsliding.

Truthiron.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join