It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 10 Survival Downloads You Should Have

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
thanks for the post OP it is a must have reading for those that want to be off grid, survive SHTF, and want to be self sufficient. best to book mark and then pick the ones you need most.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by stealthc

Thank you. great Idea , great torrent... I will seed for a week (at least)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by stealthc

Thanks
!! I will seed too

and happy new year everyone

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

Great reference material for sure. I think most people will not bother to do more than bookmark them, if that.

I'm not worried myself.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Great list, i was actually in the process of making a laminated booklet with forest foods and such, this is a nice addition.

About the USB storage, dont think its alot of use unless you have a solar powered laptop also

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Thanks heaps for this! I'm putting them in a folder labeled "just in case".

thanks again, and I hope I never need to use them, if you catch my drift.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Excellent thread, S&F. I've been meaning to start something like this. I'm surprised that there's nothing about bugout bags posted yet, so I'll start it off with this link:

Putting Together A Bugout Bag

There are a lot of things you wouldn't normally think of there. It's a long list, and it would be impossible to carry everything listed for any distance, so you have to pick and choose I guess.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Romekje

Solar power for your laptop is easy. Do you have a "harbor freight" store in your area?

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Thanks! These are gonna come in handy, and unfortunately, maybe soon. Sign of the times, when these can be found all over the net and book stores.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

Thanks...I'll be condensing these, printing them, and laminating for future reference..good job.

2nd line...

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Very useful, thank you.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

A great list for a top ten. Thanks for the pdfs and thanks to other posters for their links. Grr, I wish I knew how to do torrents darn it. OP I think you should do another 10 to make a top twenty.

I'd put water management in, probably in the top ten actually, a low tech water collection and filtration method completely independent of the need for electricity.

and in no particular order:

navigation by the stars

electricity generation and storage

The cooling and re-fridgeration of item/objects

and some metalwork, high temperature ovens and general pyro skills

Anyway, S&F to you and all the other contributors.

I feel the trick here is to not only commit yourself to the long term project of printing these pdfs, but to also to commit to read them ahead of the time that they may be needed. In some circumstances pulling out the pdfs at that late stage could already be too late.

edit on 1-1-2011 by spookfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by RobBalsamo

No skin off my back I've been waiting for an opportunity to watch how things seed out into the cloud for a while.

The thought occurs to me that it is horribly inefficient. there's about 25% waste during uploading of the initial seed, weather it be overhead, clients going offline or packet loss. I figured there was some waste there but this figure is somewhat stunning, it means with provisions built into a tracker and improved management for initial seeding I could actually drop all that waste.

It's really cool watching all that structure develop, it'll have broken 500 peers before hitting 12 hours; which is pretty darn good for a perspective on this (especially since the total size is fairly large).

This is some really invaluable insight. Thanks guys.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr10k

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
Thanks for posting these. I would recommend, if possible, to find or print a hard copy of these ebooks. In a SHTF scenario you might not have a computer or power to access these files.

You can get an Iphone for about 100$ with the right bartering, or you could 50 - 75$ on a hacked PSP, which can read pdfs, etc. Or even better, get a used kindle.

Iphones and Kindles require power.. That was his point. In a SHTF scenario I can almost guarantee that the grid will be/go down.

Deebo

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deebo

Originally posted by mr10k

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
Thanks for posting these. I would recommend, if possible, to find or print a hard copy of these ebooks. In a SHTF scenario you might not have a computer or power to access these files.

You can get an Iphone for about 100$ with the right bartering, or you could 50 - 75$ on a hacked PSP, which can read pdfs, etc. Or even better, get a used kindle.

Iphones and Kindles require power.. That was his point. In a SHTF scenario I can almost guarantee that the grid will be/go down.

Deebo

I think his point was that a Kindle has around a month of battery power, if you have enough spare batteries, well, maybe you could read your books for over a year. Although I am only going on what I've read about these ebook readers, I have never actually bought one. Also, if you have solar panels you might be able to have power for a very long time.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUSSO

Originally posted by canadiansenior70
Who the Hell would want to live if the comforts of life, as we have known them, are gone for good?

Not I!

Okay, I respect your opinion because I like to think we live in a democracy. But the difference between you and me is that I never surrender, never give up. It's in my blood, I have to honor my ancestors that have allowed me to be here today.

Yes! We must respect everyone's opinion, as often there are extenuating circumstances. I have used a wheelchair for 41½ years. I watch movies of 'bug-outs', "The Road" etc. I see nothing in the interpretation of "life after' that is conducive to wheelchair accessibility.

I don't know if anyone here would agree, still, but I would see no reason to search out [yet] another life at age 71.

Repectfully
CS70

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by iamaperson

and then a small solar cell could power the thing. Of course lithium ion batteries die over time. One could use a lead acid battery and an inverter with a cell. Those things last forever, then you'd be looking at 20 years before the solar cell is toast. An alternator could be rigged to charge the batter as a water or wind generator. Then you'd have power indefinitely. You can also use an alternator, to generate using fuel of any sort, whatever you can get an engine to run with.

A direct drive or belt drive is better than a chain drive. Picking your configuration will influence efficiency of the overall system.

I wouldn't be surprised if after a year or two you'd be reduced to plugging your device into the charger hooked into an inverter on a lead acid battery -- the lithium battery would be kaput.
edit on 1-1-2011 by stealthc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiro
My friend,

Originally posted by Night Bloom
reply to post by jessejamesxx

And what make and model vehicle would this work for? Because I don't think this would be useful for any vehicle made after 2000.

Any vehicle after 2000 to present day can easly be fooled into thinking it has just crashed, simply lie on the ground in front of the car and ram your foot into the number/lisence plate and the air bags will pop as will the doors unlock [for emergency]. One sure way to gaurentee a way out should the SHTF.

So if a car is locked and immobilised on the side of the road if one were to employ ur sugested method would it unlock?

If so, that is facinating..

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by spookfish

I will try and put here.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by BoneMosaic
Thanks heaps for this! I'm putting them in a folder labeled "just in case".

thanks again, and I hope I never need to use them, if you catch my drift.

Yes, lets hope.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join