It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Katie Couric - America needs a Muslim version of The Cosby Show

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I do think many people who are so fervently against something like a Muslim sitcom (or any positive 'publicity' about Muslims) are not so much afraid of it for themselves (they won't watch it), but they are afraid that the negative views many have against Muslims will erode as the people sit in their living rooms and laugh and cry along with this sitcom family and get to know them.
I watched a little of "Little Mosque on the Prairie" and it seems totally benign. I simply can't understand anyone is resistance to something like that, when there's so much crap coming on TV every day. Why would this show raise such a stink, as opposed to some of the other shows that came out this fall to 'educate' and entertain us?

I'm glad someone finally watched it. It's a silly show, they poke fun at Muslims, Christians, small town Saskatchewan, all in good fun. Not sure how the Muslims feel about it, but most Canadians don't take religion or politics too seriously either.

Speaking of Muslims on the prairies, the Calgary mayor is Muslim. Apparently some of them are decent people.
The fear of Muslims in the US seems to be getting worse every day, and we're electing them to political offices up here.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Weeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, up here in Canada we already have this show. It's called, Little Mosque on the Prarie. I don't watch TV other than football but I hear it's a good and popular show.

Edit: I see this has already been brought up.
edit on 2-1-2011 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by tiger5
reply to post by Honor93
Please do not reply to any more of my posts if you are incapable of reading what I wrote as opposed to what your agenda (in your mind) thought I wrote. Let me repeat and expand the key aspect of the post you thought that you read.

first, i'll respond to whichever post i choose unless the mods determine otherwise ... and do try to remember, you called me out not the other way around.
second, do you really think you're skilled at determining my capabilities? ah the tools of an arrogant fool

What would give the proposed comedy programme and edge and make it different from the usual is that the pro-integration moslems (yes they exist) are set up against the fundies ( Xtian) and the jihadists ( a small section of the community).

and just how would this be 'interesting' to any viewer, after all, it is daily news, who needs a sitcom ?

It could be done and it could be new and cutting edge. Tell you what. Let the brits do it first and we can do a second rate version as we have done the to "The Office" and "Life on Mars".

you are welcome to your opinion, back to my Original statement ... isn't there enough trash on tv already? The Office & Life on Mars --- wouldn't waste 5 minutes on either ... better programming, Please !!!

Nlot all moslems are the same!

well i sure hope not or the term 'individual' isn't all of what's its cracked up to be

** cheers **

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I'm not so sure how successful a Muslim sitcom would be, as most people who are prejudiced against Muslims probably wouldn't watch it in the first place.

What might be a better way to change attitudes would be to introduce far more Muslim characters into popular mainstream shows, such as soaps and sitcoms.

Whether people like it or not, television is a very important part of many people's lives, and consequently television can play an important role in helping to change social attitudes.

I've found that most people who are intolerant and bigoted towards Muslims - or Christians and Jews, for that matter - are that way because of ignorance and fear of them, because they are ''different''.

If Muslim characters and families were introduced on the more popular shows, that the average viewer can relate to, then that may make many people who are suspicious of them realise that they are just ''normal'' people who happen to practice a different religion.

I know that that may sound patronising, but if you help to alleviate people's ignorance, then that helps to cut down on prejudice.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Totally agree. It's a great venue to fight ignorance. The most important show in American history imo is All in the Family. They made us laugh at the intolerance in the world. I believe that show did more to advance rights for women, minorities and gays than any, maybe ALL others put together.

Not for the easily offended:

You couldn't make that show today but we sure could use one with the state of the States.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
Leave it to Katie Couric to come up with such a lame brain idea.
First of all, she should explain how a comedy show depicting a Muslim family would help. What are people to take away from such a show, that Muslims can be clowns like everyone else. Oh, I'm sure they would love that.
If she were SERIOUS about increasing understanding, why not have a SERIOUS show, where Muslims could come on, and explain their beliefs and culture, FIRST HAND, rather than through the eyes of a comedy writer? Maybe then, people COULD get to know real Muslims, not some Hollywood myth.

Once again...we've managed to do it in Canada. I would direct you to the following site:
www.cbc.ca...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f597210b4d5f.gif[/atsimg]

Watch a couple of episodes on-line. And why? Because it cuts through the propaganda and racist bravo sierra and humanizes Muslims as people...as they are.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Nlot all moslems are the same!

following up on your previous comment, and since we agree, why would you support a sitcom depiction, which is seldom representative of reality?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

What a great show All in the Family was! I loved it, have seen every episode, probably several times.

But it could be America is past all that now. They probably couldn't get away with a show like that, the climate of political correctness is just stifling.

No doubt humor could do us all a lot of good again.

JR

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93
why would you support a sitcom depiction, which is seldom representative of reality?

Who's perception of reality? Yours? Mine? Or REAL reality?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

LOL.

I believe that ''All in the family'' was the American spin-off of the 1960s British comedy, ''Till death do us part'', which also apparently had a similarly positive effect on British society in the 1960s.

In ''Till death do us part'', the anti-hero was Alf Garnett, who held racist, sexist and homophobic views. Ironically, the actor who played Alf Garnett ( Warren Mitchell ) is actually Jewish !

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Are you familiar with the Cosby show? It exposed the people of the US to the idea of a 'normal' black family. We were able to see black people portrayed as something other than thugs, drug dealers, criminals and deadbeat dads, which was the image the media had given us previously.

I didn't need a Hollywood show to see that. I already KNEW that. It is quite insulting to think that Americans are so dumb that they need a Hollywood writer and producer to see that.
People already understand that Muslims can have a normal family life, just as any other group can.
What they DO NOT understand are the actions of people who murder based upon the Koran. That is what needs to be explained to the American public. Let Islamic experts debate the Koran, and explain what it DOES and DOES NOT say.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by tiger5

Islam is not new to the USA nor the west. Programmes of a serious nature has been done already. Kindly read the thread to ascertain what discussion has been done before before commenting. Also please note that the BBC chanel in America has also done programes on Islam that are of a serious and explanatory nature. In short get with it!

Excuse me?
I am quite "with it". I have read the thread, and responded with my thoughts. If you do not like them, fine. However, your rudeness is beyond belief.
Furthermore, I have a hard time even responding to someone that tells me to get with it, when you post comments about aliens that are out to get you:

I am glad that you put the greys into some kind of timeline. I believe that the abduction entities have their own agenda which is not human so we will invariably be the one swho suffer.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Firstly let me point out that if no more lame TV programmes are ever made I would be happy. I supported Katie Couric’s original idea as on possible string in the war against Islamic Fundamentalism.

I have to ask you do you like traditional comedy or did you like alternative or edgy comedy??

I propose alternative comedy because it is set in reality. If it was not set in reality in some way we never laugh hence it would never be comedy or at the worst lame comedy.

As a result of a security contract I was reading some interesting papers on why ordinary British moslem men became Jihadis. It was fascinating. Suffice to say it was a mixture of grooming by Jihadists, the imigrant identity fears and the issue of real or perceived racism. Laugher is universal. But comedy by its sheer realism could be a hinge for some really edgy comedy.

I liked all in the family because it examined a series of American viewes. It was not as good as the original British “Till death us do part”. What was funny was that it made the issue of race become acceptiable to talk about. Once the issue was aired itseemed to be diffused. There is something about comedy that allows us to work on social problems indirectly once the punchline has been delivered and we wipe the tears from our eyes. What was strange was that All in the family or Till death us do part not offensive to me as a black male. They were not modern PC – savvy programmes but they were not KKK festivals neither. Perhaps comedy works better because the villains are more pantomime villains as oppose to “Truly Evil” as in say 24?

Good comedy also is very difficult because timing, content and delivery must be spot on. The Cosby’s may not be your cup of tea but a lot of people watched it so Ms couric chose a good example.

Don’t forget comedy can work without language as evidenced by Mr Bean and Charlie Chaplin.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Excuse yourself. Yes I wrote that and would be happy to clarify my position regarding the greys in full. Even you can understand that this is not the right place to do so. Perhaps you may look at the titel of the thread for a hint.

Did you also note that I agreed with someone who also pointed out that the greys may not have existed in the stylised format before Bud hopkins and Whitley strieber. In otherwards this may be a social construct and now a cliche the same way same some huckster may call himself a professor? The greys have never bothered me nor have I ever seen one. Unfortunately for you I went oto an excellent European science university got a 2.1 and alsolearnt to examine everything.

Nice try but no ceegar!

edit on 2-1-2011 by tiger5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
People such as Katie Couric do not want to examine the true beliefs of Islam, but would rather show people that Muslims eat Hamburgers, popcorn and watch soccer. Fine, we all know that.
However, the liberals do not want to face the fact that what they consider Islamic extremism, is nothing more than what God expects of mankind, and I am not referring to killing or bombing.
For instance, Quran 27:54-55 is very clear in its condemnation of male homosexuals, as is the Bible. The liberals do not wish to touch such subjects, and so would rather touch on superficial aspects of life, such as sitting around a dinner table and eating, talking about the weather. Islam is a very respected religion, as is Christianity and Judaism, and all three condemn things done today, in this liberal society, which truly are an abomination to God/Allah. I would love to see an Islamic scholar explain their beliefs to the American public, because they are keeping with God's commandments. However, liberals would never allow that to happen, because it would attack their "anything goes" beliefs prevalent in American society today. In many respects, Islam is correct, in that American society has turned its back on God, and has become a modern Sodom.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
I would love to see an Islamic scholar explain their beliefs to the American public, because they are keeping with God's commandments. However, liberals would never allow that to happen, because it would attack their "anything goes" beliefs prevalent in American society today.

I self identify as a Liberal...large and small 'L', and I disagree. Actually, Doc...why don't you ask an Imam?

I'm guessing you'll get the same answer that you would from an Anglican if you ask him (her) to put Leviticus into a modern context. But please report back to us, will you?

And a Happy New Year, my friend.
edit on 2-1-2011 by JohnnyCanuck because: spelling

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
As I liberal I like to be tolerant of other people views and opinions. Provided they don't intrude on me I will not intrude on them. I do not wish to see a monocrome country and do not wish to see the thought police attacking anyone. I am a free thinker.

I do feel that comedy can be a valid tool in changing views and may even be a propaganda tool in the war against Jihadis..

Has anyone taken a look at the state of TV religion in America? It is either a hysterical born again religious orgy or it is the odd religious discussion at the level of the high school debating team. None of these will do to resolve the issue of Irrational fears of Islam. I suggest the fear of the Jihadi by contrast is a rational fear. The problem with having a rational discussion is that most intelligent people are in work and working long hours, studying for long hours or a looking for work 24/7. In short we have no time to sit down and watch several hours of indepth TV on Islam and religion. The big problem with what I would call the rational approach is that only the rational will view it and understand it.

Can you imagine the threads that would be generated on ATS if a major channel decided to air say a six-hour series on Islam. Why I can see various thread on the grand conspiracy to take over the USA and then they would bring in the Number one hate figure (Obama even if he is out of office). And then the UFO nuts/ Atlantean theorists would come in too.

No thank you a comedy may be better.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

reply to post by Sinnthia

OK Well perhaps there is need for another OP and thread. I just don't want Katie's comments to be derailed. I will contribute if you write it.

Yes I agree. I asked that all of the posters on my case get back on topic.
I am sorry they refused to do that. Hopefully we can move forward now?

I feel that the OP started this thread in an attempt to discuss. Many wonderful questions have been raised and left hanging. I would like to see the answers. Maybe the intent was not to discuss. We will see.
edit on 2-1-2011 by Sinnthia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Speak for yourself. If the average American knew that most Muslims are ordinary people then this apparent hysteria about everything Islamic would not exist.

When the problem is redefined as 'Islamic fundamentalism,' it does not change the fact that it is an attack on all Muslims based on their confession of faith. The fundamentals of Islam underpin all interpretations of the religion. To attack the fundamentals is to attack the religion in all of its forms.

What soft-headed liberals ought to be saying is that this is a war against 'Islamic Puritanism,' those who want to rely entirely on the Koran for daily advice and guidance. They are the part of the same sentimental movement that generated the Puritans and their Biblical severity. They adhere to the most out-of-date advice in the Bible/Koran; they are madmen because they behave as though they live in the first millennium AD, not the third. If you must make war, make war on the puritans. Just keep in mind that only a small sect of Puritans actually attacked America and that you would still be committing democide.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
I believe that ''All in the family'' was the American spin-off of the 1960s British comedy, ''Till death do us part'', which also apparently had a similarly positive effect on British society in the 1960s.

In ''Till death do us part'', the anti-hero was Alf Garnett, who held racist, sexist and homophobic views. Ironically, the actor who played Alf Garnett ( Warren Mitchell ) is actually Jewish !

LOL !

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join