It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Katie Couric - America needs a Muslim version of The Cosby Show

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Can we just not have religious shows of any kind forced upon us? Religion is one the great roots of all of our problems to begin with. The less we glorify it,in any context,the better.

And Katie? She sounds like a miguided sock-puppet (or she's just parroting what her bosses want her to). Figures,she's worked deep in the media's hairball for long,she probably doesn't have an original thought left in her let alone the will to question anything (gotta keep that job and paycheck coming after all). Brainwashing at it's finest. I fail to see how a show like this would do anyone any good-expect for the people behind certain 'shadow' agendas,of course

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
There is already an avid Palestinian Comedian. Maybe when the Middle East opens it's broadcasting and NEWS to sources outside of ME propaganda brainwashing then I'd still ask Katie, why? Are they funny?

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Has any one else noticed in the last few months the massive amount of Soccer that ESPN has trying to promote? Soccer has never really been the sport of America though it has been the sport of the world for quite some while now. Soccer, in my opinion, may be a key to trying to unite the world. We all now there is a connection between almost everything now a days and this is no different. Also, along with the soccer thin, I've recently noticed the numerous amounts of commercials for " The Foundation for a Better Life." After doing some research I discovered that Phillip Anschutz solely founded and funds The Foundation for a Better Life. Anschutz also owns a stake in the Los Angeles Galaxy as well as a few other MLS soccer teams. David Beckham was signed by the L.A. Galaxy to try and bring up the population of soccer in America, and to my surprise, it has worked. Soccer has begun to rise in America and giving American's a sense of a "World view" since they feel they are now more open to the world. Sports have always been a way to unite different people through out America and the World. Furthermore, Phillip Anschutz is an extreme conservative and has also began buying news papers and magazine from Rupert Murdoch, the owner of the Fox News Corporation. Anschutz was also ranked as one of the most powerful Christians in Hollywood with an idealogoy to transform the way Hollywood works. Anschutz also owns Regal Entertainment, which is the largest movie cinema company in the United States. Anschutz was recently asked by a reporter about his status as being unknown by much of the general public to which his response was that he likes it that way and would rather be a low key guy that not many people know of. Any thoughts?

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Leave it to Katie Couric to come up with such a lame brain idea.
First of all, she should explain how a comedy show depicting a Muslim family would help. What are people to take away from such a show, that Muslims can be clowns like everyone else. Oh, I'm sure they would love that.
If she were SERIOUS about increasing understanding, why not have a SERIOUS show, where Muslims could come on, and explain their beliefs and culture, FIRST HAND, rather than through the eyes of a comedy writer? Maybe then, people COULD get to know real Muslims, not some Hollywood myth.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Islam is not new to the USA nor the west. Programmes of a serious nature has been done already. Kindly read the thread to ascertain what discussion has been done before before commenting. Also please note that the BBC chanel in America has also done programes on Islam that are of a serious and explanatory nature.

In short get with it!

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by tiger5
reply to post by Honor93

Actually you could have both factions represented.The integraters and the fundamentalists. The potential for comedy complexity would be increased and would also have deeper characterisation as opposed to the mere cyphers or cartoons usually seen on TV.
edit on 1-1-2011 by tiger5 because: spelling

more cops & criminals ??? no thanks. don't we have enough of those already? psycho-killers, imbalanced zealots, religious maniacs, families in govt protection, voyeurs, pedophiles and their dancing boys, really now ... hasn't all of that been done before?? and, isn't there better subject material available?
imho, Miss Katie should have kept that suggestion to herself.

btw folks, before there was a Hollywood, NY = Broadway ... if you have solid connections in NY, you have direct connections to Hollywood ... it's a given.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

You're right, sitcoms about the ordinary or average aren't funny.

Roseanne, Everybody Loves Raymond, Married With Children, The Honeymooners, All in the Family, 8 Simple Rules, According to Jim, Andy Griffith, Barney Miller, Happy Days, Cheers, Community, Drew Carey, Everybody Hates Chris, George Lopez, Golden Girls, Home Movies, The Jeffersons, King of Queens, Leave it to Beaver, Mad About You, The Office, That 70's Show, Titus, House of Payne, Two Guys and a Girl, War at Home . . .

If a sitcom was made starring Muslim characters it would have to be about murder, rape torture and all of those things that Muslims do daily!

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
On tonight's episode of "Desperate Muslim Housewives of Dearborn" the wives compare black eyes, bruises from whipping and lament the fact that after an entire day doing a makeover, their husband never notices behind the burkha.

In this episode of "Two and a half Muj" the smart mouthed nephew criticizes the manner in which Abdul packs his nails and screws around the Semtex explosives, creating a very uncomfortable suicide vest. In a lighter moment, Haji almost pukes when his father shows him an unidentified girl he's arranged for Haji to marry on her ninth birthday.

Tonite's "The Walking Dead Martyrs" have trouble boarding the plane as they discover that some unbeliever has forgotten and left his pork rib leftovers in the cab they've taken, so the cab driver is killed and they must return home to purify themselves.

In "Mecca 5-0, religions police are forced to watch a girl drown as she tries to remove her Burkha which is pulling her under, and shoot the infidel who jumps in to try to save her.

And tonight's "Daj, the Bounty Hunter" tracks an Americanized Muslim girl who has run away from home, tasers her, and picks up a quick two-hundred, permitting her Father and two brothers to fulfill their honor killing.

YES! This can be really funny!

Lots of laughs! Educational!

Let America learn about Islam - as it is!

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Please do not reply to any more of my posts if you are incapable of reading what I wrote as opposed to what your agenda (in your mind) thought I wrote. Let me repeat and expand the key aspect of the post you thought that you read.

What would give the proposed comedy programme and edge and make it different from the usual is that the pro-integration moslems (yes they exist) are set up against the fundies ( Xtian) and the jihadists ( a small section of the community).

It could be done and it could be new and cutting edge. Tell you what. Let the brits do it first and we can do a second rate version as we have done the to "The Office" and "Life on Mars".

Nlot all moslems are the same!

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I said Couric suggested it. I never said Hollywood was doing it. That's absurd.
She only suggested it like a day ago. It would be impossible for Hollywood to
jump on it that quick.

You opened the thread with a post expressing your opinion on Hollywood doing just this. Why have an opinion on something that you just imagined? IMO flying llamas would cause big trouble for windshields. It is not happening though so why opine on it?

All what stuff? All I said was that Couric suggested it and it would be obnoxious to have Hollywood preach at America via a sitcom. YOU are claiming I said Hollywood was doing it. I did not.

No, you have ranted about how much you dislike Hollywood pushing morals on us. PRESENT TENSE. You did not just say Couric suggested it, you went off on how much you hate the idea of Hollywood pushing morals on people. Well, make up your mind. Is Hollywood pushing morals on us or did Katie just make a suggestion?

Quote me exactly where I said that Hollywood was doing this.

Let's start here.

IMHO - being preached at by Hollywood with their PC version of black Islam under the guise of a sitcom ...

IMHO - any made up thing I want to imagine that sucks ...

I guess I do not understand why you have an opinion of something not even suggested by the article you cited. No one even mentioned "black" Islam and you already do not like it. So is this something you have an opinion about or something you just imagined? Make up your mind.
Then, we have this -

Um .... no. Read the thread. What is objectionable for me is that Hollywood thinks it is morally superior and that they have to teach Americans to come up to their idea of morality. One look at the morals of hollywood and it's easy to see that it's absurd. And for Hollywood to be preaching at us via sitcom ... talk about a Goebbles wetdream!

Do you see what you claim is objectionable? Something that is not actually happening and not suggested by your article at all. Yet, here you are complaining about it - present tense.

Couric picked a black sitcom and therefore I saw it as a black muslim show.

What black show are you talking about?

You obviously do not. I already said .. whatever. Interpret it anyway you like.

I have read the article and watched the video twice now. No one suggests anything about BLACK Muslims anywhere. Hollywood is not doing any of the things you are railing against. Nothing you provided would indicate that anything Katie said is going to make it happen either.

No, I'm sure it's just BH trailing along and giving stars to anyone who disagrees with me no matter the content of the post.
She'll probably deny it. WHATEVER.

I guess stars are important to you? Want one?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II
reply to post by FlyersFan

I think this would be a fantastic idea! There's definitely some good material to work with.

1) Daughters get their female circumcisions.

I just want to point out that female circumcision exposes more of the clitoris, making orgasms easier to achieve and far more intense. I am sure there is some good American/Christian reason that is bad though.
edit on 2-1-2011 by Sinnthia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinnthia

Never trust any Christian American male that says female circumcision is bad. Buried deep within Xian Amurkan sexual morals and politics is the desire to dominate, rape, and destroy all femininity. Any Xian Amurkan that gets passionate about the female circumcision issue and conflates it with clitorectomy carries within him the secret desire to perform that operation himself.

Needless to say the details of this hidden urge are not work safe and I do not desire to discuss it further.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SmedleyBurlap

Off topic personal insult rant ... and full of error.
I pity you. And I pity she who gave you a star.

Originally posted by Sinnthia
You opened the thread with a post expressing your opinion on Hollywood doing just this.

DUH. I expressed an opinion on the comment that we 'need' a muslim version of the Cosby show so that Hollywood can educate us all ... based upon what they think is correct of course. I expressed an opinion on if Hollywood was to do it. DUH.

Why have an opinion on something that you just imagined?

WHAT the hell are you talking about? Do you even know?

Yet, here you are complaining about it - present tense.

OY ... read the whole post in context .. are you able? We are discussing IF Hollywood was to take her up on this suggestion. Hollywood types love to preach at everyone. They love to use their fame. It's just a fact.

Face it. You are wrong and interjecting something that isn't there.

[

edit on 1/2/2011 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Your fear has been addressed already in this thread. I and others (evidently Sinnthia) think that you are afraid of a nonexistent threat. Hollywood isn't trying to educate you to think that Muslims are ordinary people. Katie Couric is not expressing some belief that Hollywood is morally superior. She is saying that Americans are unduly afraid of Muslims. She is saying that Americans learn from their television sets. She is saying that Americans have previously learned compassion and sympathy towards outsiders through television.

It's already been said by xenophobes in this thread; "All that I need to know about Muslims I learned from watching 9/11". Point and case.

And so what if Hollywood thinks that you need to be educated? Obviously, you do. What good reason do you have to be afraid of all Muslims, categorically?
edit on 2-1-2011 by SmedleyBurlap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by AgaintAllOdds

I don't want your sugar-coated Hollywood version of Christian soccer forced on me!
I'm scared...

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
First of all, she should explain how a comedy show depicting a Muslim family would help.

I thought that was understood in context. Are you familiar with the Cosby show? It exposed the people of the US to the idea of a 'normal' black family. We were able to see black people portrayed as something other than thugs, drug dealers, criminals and deadbeat dads, which was the image the media had given us previously. This show would do the same. Expose Americans to a perfectly normal family and community who happened to be Muslim.

What are people to take away from such a show, that Muslims can be clowns like everyone else.

Well, sometimes, sure. Muslims CAN be clowns. But Muslim families have the same problems, issues, joys and life experiences that everyone else does, plus a few that many non-Muslim Americans aren't aware of. People would take away the idea that Muslim American families are just like any other families in the US. They're not bombing buildings or murdering innocents. They're working and sending their kids to school. They love their kids, they mow their lawns, they go to work, they love food, etc. In other words, they ARE Americans and just like us. That's what people would hopefully take from the show.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmedleyBurlap
Your fear has been addressed already in this thread.

I stated nothing about 'fear' and I discussed nothing about Islam in a fearful manner. You are interjecting. I stated that Hollywood shouldn't be preaching at us their version of what is correct through a sitcom - which was basically what Couric is calling for. I brought forward the Couric quote .. that she said 'America NEEDS a Muslim version of the Cosby Show'. I disagree with her statement.

I and others (evidently Sinnthia) think that you are afraid of a nonexistent threat.

Try not to think .. you'll only hurt yourself(s).

Hollywood isn't trying to educate you to think that Muslims are ordinary people.

True. They aren't. But if Couric has her way, they will. Her intent was clear.
America 'needs' a Muslim version of The Cosby Show. Why the 'need'?
(according to her insinuation) Same reason America 'needed' the Cosby show ..
to show Muslims are ordinary people.

Katie Couric is not expressing some belief that Hollywood is morally superior.

I didn't say that she did. I said that Hollywood thinks their viewpoint is superior and that Couric thinks they need to 'educate' us. That's very obvious.

And so what if Hollywood thinks that you need to be educated? Obviously, you do.

Oh that's rich.
Sure .. we should be good sheeple and willingly subject ourselves to propaganda via Hollywood because it agrees with YOUR point of view. yeah ... and if the far right ran Hollywood and the propaganda coming out of it was the opposite of how you feel, you'd be just as open to 'being educated' .. right? How comical.

What good reason do you have to be afraid of all Muslims, categorically

The subject of this thread is not your false claim that I have a fear of muslims and therefore a fear of a TV show, no matter how much you try to deflect it to being so. The subject is Courics comment that Americans 'need' a Muslim version of the Cosby Show. She sees America as a certain way and wants us all to be educated to her way of thinking by the hollywood crew. Try to cut the interjections and to stay on topic
edit on 1/2/2011 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

DUH. I expressed an opinion on the comment that we 'need' a muslim version of the Cosby show so that Hollywood can educate us all ... based upon what they think is correct of course. I expressed an opinion on if Hollywood was to do it. DUH.

Duh? Really? You expect your ideas to be respected as thoughtful and I get "duh?" I know what you expressed. You expressed your opinion of Hollywood using black Muslims to shove their morals on us. None of that is represented by the story you posted. All you have is Katie making a suggestion. I would understand if your thread were about your opinion of what Katie said but instead you are talking about Hollywood, black Muslims, Neither of these things are here. Katie is not Hollywood, she is just Katie. She did not mention black Muslims. Your opinion is certainly yours to have it just confuses me why one would read a story then rant about the things they imagine because of it.

WHAT the hell are you talking about? Do you even know?

I know exactly what I am talking about. What I do not know is what you are talking about. That is why I asked you exactly that. I thought maybe you would help me understand you instead of spend time crying about who is giving who stars and insert these little jabs of yours about different posters in. I was clearly wrong.

OY ... read the whole post in context .. are you able? We are discussing IF Hollywood was to take her up on this suggestion.

Are "we?" I see no such conditional in either of the posts I quoted from. If such exists, point it out to me. Why can you not just admit that you are complaining about something that has not happened, is not happening, and is not backed up by your story. Instead, focus on the story you supplied and complain about that. You do not want Hollywood to listen to Katie. Now complain about Katie until such time as Hollywood takes her cue. Make sense?

Hollywood types love to preach at everyone. They love to use their fame. It's just a fact.

They do? Which ones? I am willing to bet you cannot name 2% of SAG members that have ever preached to anyone about anything. Sean Penn is not everyone.

Face it. You are wrong and interjecting something that isn't there.

What did I interject? All I am trying to do is find out why you are making stuff up about black Muslims and some Hollywood agenda because Katie Couric had an idea. Why is it so hard to just explain that to me?

edit on 2-1-2011 by Sinnthia because: taking out extremely petty but potential sticking point for people that use words like "duh" even in print

edit on 2-1-2011 by Sinnthia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I have no problem with any religion based shows, so long as they warn that these programs are based on fictional characters such as Jesus, the the prophet muhammad and who ever it is jews worship.

They all so should say "dont try this at home, the stunts in these shows are all performed by trained professionals and no one should try healing lepers, walking on water,eating fore skins, crucifixion,or blowing them selves up to live in paradise with 40 virgins.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
For the ninety millionth time I for one did not envisage a show that was primariliy religious in nature. I envisaged something more incidentally religious in nature. I am truly reaching saturation point with some of the deliberate misinterpretaions here. Sadly the misinterpreters bring absolutely nothing to the thread by wauy of content

edit on 2-1-2011 by tiger5 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join