It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Katie Couric - America needs a Muslim version of The Cosby Show

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

If a written cartoon sparks such an outrage, and a single episode on (south park or family guy or one of those) a US tv cartoon (not even human actors) prompts the removal of the episode before airing ... how does such a sitcom survive let alone thrive?

I donno...how do military funerals survive in a world with Fred Phelps? Does he define Christianity?

ok, i really wasn't looking for sarcasm or religious bashing.
please share these with someone else.
i am not muslim or christian or any religion of which you are aware.
i find it rather 'interestingly odd' that you would choose a military funeral in comparison to a sitcom ...

Sorry to have you all a-twitter. I was merely pointing out the dangers in letting the extremists define the the group as a whole. As to all your skepticism about such a TV series...as amply illustrated, even to the point of offering up episodes for review...it's doing quite well. No sarcasm...just trying to educate.

first, i have no idea what "all a-twitter" is. I don't tweet.

Nor do I...
a-twitter:

Being in a state of nervous excitement www.thefreedictionary.com...

your point is taken but it was delivered rather rudely and totally off point of the question posed ... how do the CN media ppl mitigate the obvious threat?

Um...there's no threat. And I'm not being rude.

Care to have a real discussion?
Since your aim is to educate, start here ... the ppl (Patriot Riders) step up regarding that fruitcake you mentioned. (westboro or something like that) ... i hardly see any comparison.
However, since you went there, answer my equally silly question ... do the moderate Muslims surround and block the fundamentalists view ??

If you check Smedly Burlap's post above, he shows quite succinctly how moderates encourage their peers to enjoy the program. I'd say that qualifies in your context. The point remains, the nutbars don't define the culture in Christianity...shouldn't everybody get cut the same slack?

how do they mitigate obvious threat? xtra protection on set? support from the imams? viewing at the mosque? pre-releases to influential authorities? really, i am curious.

There's no threat. No bombs, No IEDs. Those who watch the show enjoy it, those who don't, don't. If they're really pi$$ed, they'll boycott some Kraft product or something.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

my answer is No but the US has already conceded Twice, on two different platforms (paper, video) ... what makes anyone (including Couric) think this would succeed, here?

South Park does not represent "the US". How did the US concede on paper? I'm not sure what you're talking about.

no offense intended, but if you're not there and absorbing the impact directly, then your opinion regarding this topic is less valuable than i thought.

Oh, heaven forbid you don't value my opinion!
I can read. And Johnny Canuck IS from Canada. But you're going to believe what you want, it's clear, regardless of facts.

Still want to know what you mean by the US caving to a paper medium...

ok, from the beginning ... paper = cartoon drawing ... video = US tv cartoon (whichever one it was, SouthPark i think you said) ... Couric suggests a sitcom like Little Mosque be produced and disseminated here, in the US ... we on point so far?
cartoon drawing was pulled and cartoonist placed in protective custody - retreat
cartoon episode for tv (SP) pulled before airing - retreat
2 different platforms, 2 retreats

tsk, tsk ... don't get all personal on me ... we've spoken before and your comments + avatar led me to think you were likely Canadian. i was wrong, and you are mistaken.
Your opinion is valuable or we wouldn't be having this discussion, geeeesh.
However, i would have greater interest in the opinion of those who are there, viewing it, talking about it, talking with their kids about it, hearing co-workers discuss it, do get my meaning there?
generally, i don't bite ... but you say regardless of facts? which facts, the one that Katie SUGGESTED this or the one where it has been tried twice and shot down? or the one that states i'm curious how CN media ppl deal with the situation at hand?
i'm guessing since you won't answer the question, conspiracy theory is all we have left

it must be an all muslim oufit, with the imams secretly coding the script to communicate with their fundamentalists all over the world. that's the Only way it could succeed. the actors must be secretly involved. how else are they able to survive? after all, one cartoonist in the US had to be whisked away to a new identity and life, all over a drawing. ohhhh, this has conspiracy written allllll over it !!! *** is that better? ***

Little Mosque is proven successful in multiple markets. i see no reasonable objection to airing it here. i still don't anticipate much success for it. environmental climate toooo fragile ... ppl too. as for creating one from scratch (as Katie suggested), i just don't have enough confidence in Hollywood to do it justice.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

cartoon drawing was pulled

Pulled from where? By whom? You said the US conceded. What do you mean by that? I can still google Muhammad cartoons and see them. They're right there. And the US put no one in protective custody. You are aware this happened in Denmark, NOT the US, aren't you?

cartoon episode for tv (SP) pulled before airing - retreat

Again, South Park pulled an episode. That's a television show and does NOT represent the US.

but you say regardless of facts? which facts,

The fact that this is a very successful show in Canada and around the world and the radical Muslim freaks haven't said a thing about it.

or the one where it has been tried twice and shot down?

This has NOT been tried in the US.

or the one that states i'm curious how CN media ppl deal with the situation at hand?
i'm guessing since you won't answer the question, conspiracy theory is all we have left

You're assuming there will be a situation to handle. Most likely the people who would be most upset are the people who are afraid that a show like this would ease tensions between regular Muslims and the people who are afraid of them.

after all, one cartoonist in the US had to be whisked away to a new identity and life

Link, please?

Danish authorities have been obliged to offer protection for anyone named Kurt Westergaard living in Denmark.

Source

That happened in DENMARK, not here.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

a-twitter:

Being in a state of nervous excitement www.thefreedictionary.com...

with this i'd have say nice try but not even close

your point is taken but it was delivered rather rudely and totally off point of the question posed ... how do the CN media ppl mitigate the obvious threat?
Um...there's no threat. And I'm not being rude.

so, if there is no threat in CN, one has to wonder why we've had very open, public threats issued here.
*** and, you don't agree that i received/found your comment rude, what is that exactly?
where i come from, it's still rude. we used to say excuse me and move on ... why do ppl find it necessary to operate in a world of denial?

If you check Smedly Burlap's post above, he shows quite succinctly how moderates encourage their peers to enjoy the program. I'd say that qualifies in your context. The point remains, the nutbars don't define the culture in Christianity...shouldn't everybody get cut the same slack?

i did read Smedlys post and Smedly isn't directly in this conversation, we are. Besides, i didn't ask if they 'encourage' (i already assume such) ... I was trying to clarify to you that there is -0- correlation between the two. The christian Protestors are physically blockaded, period. where is the correlation? qualifies? hardly

we aren't discussing slack. we are discussing the fact that in the US, 2 attempts at integrating the muslim populus, symbolism and theory into 2 different platforms of comedy dissemination, failed miserably.

how do they mitigate obvious threat? xtra protection on set? support from the imams? viewing at the mosque? pre-releases to influential authorities? really, i am curious.
There's no threat. No bombs, No IEDs. Those who watch the show enjoy it, those who don't, don't. If they're really pi$$ed, they'll boycott some Kraft product or something.

well, so apparently CN hasn't or doesn't experience the public threats that the US has. So, what to do, what to do? i still think more variety is a good thing but considering the last two retreats, life is more than a joke.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

well, so apparently CN hasn't or doesn't experience the public threats that the US has.

Link, Please?

What threats has the US experienced???

And a South Park episode and Denmark cartoons do NOT constitute an attempt to integrate Muslims. Jesus! You're being think about this.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

touche, the cartoon is old news and currently, i am far too involved in other issues to have researched the comment first ... i am quite likely mistaken. however, that doesn't change the fact death threats were reported and steps were taken to provide extra protection to the artist ... no time to research it now but that still doesn't change my lack of faith in Hollywood. and i have never successfully linked to any cartoon about the prophet (i have tried).
not sure why you think i object, at least 4 times i've said otherwise. so, why are you attacking my opinion again?

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

however, that doesn't change the fact death threats were reported and steps were taken to provide extra protection to the artist ...

In Denmark.
and i have never successfully linked to any cartoon about the prophet (i have tried).

en.wikipedia.org...
www.cynical-c.com...
www.humanevents.com...

Edit: Just checking the links. They work fine.

not sure why you think i object, at least 4 times i've said otherwise. so, why are you attacking my opinion again?

I didn't say that you object. And I'm not attacking your opinion. I'm asking you to present facts with sources, not hearsay and incorrect statements. That's all.
edit on 1/5/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
ok, you forced me to go there ... with quick links cause i'm short on time ... does this count?

Back to Molly Norris. In April, the one-time Seattle Weekly cartoonist made the mistake of drawing a cartoon that called for an “Everybody Draw Muhammad Day.” Norris was reacting to Comedy Central’s decision to censor parts of the show “South Park” that depicted a cartoon Muhammad dressed in a bear suit — wink, wink — lest showing an image of the prophet offend. The network also bleeped out verbal references to Muhammad.

Norris quickly renounced the idea and apologized to the Muslim community. But that didn’t stop American-born Yemeni cleric Anwar al-Awlaki from declaring that that Norris should be “a prime target of assassination.”
source: www.thoughtsfromaconservativemom.com...

Westergaard is just one of the Danish cartoonists, editors and publishers living in fear because they dared to poke fun at the religion of Islam.
source: www.iheu.org...

need more? i'll search later if needed but the threats have been made, actions of retreat are repulsive and i still don't believe the sitcom will enjoy success, here.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
What a wonderful idea.

All the women on the show could wear burkas, because we need to show the world what Islam is all about. Of course we could have a rebellious daughter who refuses the burka and is latter killed by her brother for honor.

You could have an episode about one daughter, say a 14 year old, who goes back to their country of origin and is forced to marry her cousin who is 42 years old and already has two wives.

You could have an episode about the oldest son becoming radicalized and becoming a suicide bomber.

You could have an episode on female genital mutilation.

You could have an episode on waging Jihad over a cartoon of Mohammad.

I think that this is a wonderful idea, so all of the world can see the benefits and enlightenment of Islam.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

Ignorant bigotry might be funny once in a while but it is never funny when you are the 11th guy to make the same joke. Read the thread, you are doing old material.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Finally! Thank you!

I'd never heard of this Molly Norris. I thought you were talking about the Dutch cartoons.

Still, making cartoons about it is one thing. A well-done thoughtful show would be better received. And I don't think we should let terrorist threats dictate how we behave or cause us not to exercise our free speech rights.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinnthia

My bad.

It's the first thing that popped into my head when I read about Katie's thought of a Muslim comedy show.
My opinion is that there are many problems within the Muslim community that the press is afraid to acknowledge. So, to me , Katie's idea seemed very simplistic. I'm sure that she envisioned a show that only showed Islam in the best light possible and wouldn't have the courage to actually deal with the negative side of Islam.

I do think that humor is a good way to get a point across. Sorry I was so late in the post.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

[so, if there is no threat in CN, one has to wonder why we've had very open, public threats issued here.

OK...here's the breakdown on the South Park episode...

South Park The organization protested the South Park episode, 200, over that show's depiction of the Prophet Muhammad wearing a bear costume, which it described as insulting. (Eventually the figure in the bear costume was revealed as Santa Claus.) The threat was posted by Abu Talhah al-Amrikee, the username of an emerging Revolution Muslim leader. The Revolution Muslim website said that violent retaliation "will likely happen” to the show's creators, Matt Stone and Trey Parker, and provided the addresses of both Comedy Central's New York office and Stone and Parker's production office in Los Angeles. Although the group characterized it as a warning rather than a threat, it generated considerable attention.[ Abu Talhah al-Amrikee has a history of publicizing terrorist propaganda and promoting violence against non-Muslims through a variety of web sites and blogs. He first commented about his issue with the South Park episode via Twitter the day after the episode aired, tweeting that he prayed for Allah to kill the show’s creators and “burn them in Hell for all eternity.” [ Subsequently, the Revolution Muslim website was hacked, temporarily redirecting web traffic to pictures of Muhammad. The poster of the threat has since been arrested on federal terrorism charges.en.wikipedia.org...

I'm gonna make two predictions...
First, that the whole issue was hijacked by your government's Department of Scary Muslims in order that the enfeebled have one more reason to quake.
Secondly, Revolution Muslim is 10-15 schmucks. I'm guessing that when the final bust occurs, ...you'll have 40% FBI, 40% CIA drawing down on each other and the two guys who showed up for free Shawarma.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Your bad.

I can take your post and replace Muslims with NASCAR fans and be just as accurate but thanks for stopping by with the cover tunes.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
What is clear is that Katie would not have been making it. Also there would or should have an American Moslem council of mosques or something it as a technical consultancy. This would further separate the fundies from the mainstream.

Perhaps I should work in cointerpro.

Seriously I do get nervous when I hear "American version of tghe hit comedy".....

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I wasn't aware that Nascar fans had issues with female genital mutilation, liked to blow themselves up to kill fellow Nascar fans, or would kill if you tried to draw a picture of their favorite driver.

My bad

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77

I wasn't aware that Nascar fans had issues with female genital mutilation,

Sorry, they only mutilate the males. Muslims are not into female genital mutilation though, only the extremists mutilate their women. Nascar fans mutilate their boys genitals all the time.

liked to blow themselves up to kill fellow Nascar fans, or would kill if you tried to draw a picture of their favorite driver.

My bad

The various trailer park police scanner tales of beer + racing gone bad tell many tales of death and explosions, usually over things far more trivial than a cartoon. Did you know that in the US there is a huge spike in domestic violence among caucasion couples on super bowl sunday? Every group has nuts. I am not sure why some of you are so focused on nuts but...there you are.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Wildbob, this is actually what I was addressing.

My opinion is that there are many problems within the Muslim community that the press is afraid to acknowledge. So, to me , Katie's idea seemed very simplistic.

I can take THIS POST and replace Muslims with NASCAR fans. No mention of blowing up things or mutilating thigns in the post. My point was, there are groups of people that have problems the press is afraid to acknowledge. Racefan meth issues is a biggy!

Get it? Read that post over again. Replace Muslim with any other group of people you can imagine. It will be just as accurate. The point is, that kind of nulls it out don't you think?
edit on 5-1-2011 by Sinnthia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77

I wasn't aware that Nascar fans had issues with female genital mutilation, liked to blow themselves up to kill fellow Nascar fans, or would kill if you tried to draw a picture of their favorite driver.
My bad

Is this the part where you continue your point by defining Christian through citing Leviticus and Phred Phelps, or do you cover your ears and chant?

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Almost every day of the week, one can read about the latest atrocity committed by the religion of peace.

You can bury your head in the sand and try to say it's just a few on the fringes of the religion but that just doens't seem to be based on reality.

32% of Young British Muslims Support Killing for Islam

Muslim World League declares jihad against cinematic depictions of Muhammad

KFC worker screams at customer who asks for bacon

Al-shabab fighters amputate limbs of 19 years old

Egyptian Security Steps Aside so al-Qaeda/Muslim Brotherhood can Murder Coptic Christians

I couldn't find much when I searched for violence by Nascar fans in the past week. Perhaps it's the responsibility of the news media who conspire to hide violence by nascar fans. Or perhaps there are some issues with Islam that have not been addressed.

edit on 5-1-2011 by Wildbob77 because: bad link

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join