It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Katie Couric - America needs a Muslim version of The Cosby Show

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by Honor93
why would you support a sitcom depiction, which is seldom representative of reality?

Who's perception of reality? Yours? Mine? Or REAL reality?

exactly ... most viewers perceptions are better than any spoon-fed Hollywood fantasy ... there are better ways to influence ppl if that is the goal. Otherwise, it's a waste of good energy to watch such nonsense.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by tiger5
reply to post by Honor93

Firstly let me point out that if no more lame TV programmes are ever made I would be happy.
- in this, we agree

I supported Katie Couric’s original idea as on possible string in the war against Islamic Fundamentalism
- in this, not so much

I have to ask you do you like traditional comedy or did you like alternative or edgy comedy??

i have a dark humorous side so i like Carlin but not South Park, Sikes but not Family Guy, Murphy, Hope, Dangerfield, Rock, Pryor, Candy, and bunches of others, even All in the Family but it disgusted me more often than humored me but during those days, choice was very limited. Yes, i enjoyed Cosby but didn't buy into the PC of it, we'd already lived it 10yrs earlier.

I propose alternative comedy because it is set in reality. If it was not set in reality in some way we never laugh hence it would never be comedy or at the worst lame comedy.

imho - the younger generation has no clue what Good Comedy is ... so i'm old and many of the best talents are long gone but this is a good excuse for bad PC, nothing more.
Besides, ppl are going to be far too busy with the effects of the 7/10 events to pay much attention (if they even get a signal)

As a result of a security contract I was reading some interesting papers on why ordinary British moslem men became Jihadis. It was fascinating. Suffice to say it was a mixture of grooming by Jihadists, the imigrant identity fears and the issue of real or perceived racism. Laugher is universal. But comedy by its sheer realism could be a hinge for some really edgy comedy.

agreed, i just don't find the platform appropriate. at least not in this current war-ish climate.

I liked all in the family because it examined a series of American viewes.

for me, this is why i disliked it ... a little less conflict and more cohesion is my preference

It was not as good as the original British “Till death us do part”.

never got to see this one but i liked Benny Hill alot

What was funny was that it made the issue of race become acceptiable to talk about. Once the issue was aired itseemed to be diffused. There is something about comedy that allows us to work on social problems indirectly once the punchline has been delivered and we wipe the tears from our eyes. What was strange was that All in the family or Till death us do part not offensive to me as a black male. They were not modern PC – savvy programmes but they were not KKK festivals neither. Perhaps comedy works better because the villains are more pantomime villains as oppose to “Truly Evil” as in say 24?

i'll take your word for it cause i don't watch 24, either. i like movies ... Amistad is one of my favorites (politically, culturally, Constitutionally, humanly) Powder (for the what ifs in life) Ice Castles (for overcoming obstacles) and many others but tv, i watch educational stuff, news, a bit of NCIS, Law & Order (not the new series tho), real fantasy or fiction cause that's all it is regardless. I was hoping "The Nak'd Truth" was gonna be worth watching but then the 'casting' was local and now that i know more about the show, i doubt i'll tune in ... more drama, less facts, more scripted, less natural anything and that's just not me.

Good comedy also is very difficult because timing, content and delivery must be spot on. The Cosby’s may not be your cup of tea but a lot of people watched it so Ms couric chose a good example.

like i said, i enjoyed Cosby but not for PC reasons and usually turned the heavy PC episodes off. I really am capable of thinking for myself, honest, and for timing, there were few better than Laugh In, 3's Company, 3rd Rock, even Hee Haw and Petticoat Junction in their day.

Don’t forget comedy can work without language as evidenced by Mr Bean and Charlie Chaplin.

again, more Marx Brothers, 3 Stooges, Laurel & Hardy, Lil Rascals kinda kid.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
It is quite insulting to think that Americans are so dumb that they need a Hollywood writer and producer to see that.

Well, sad and insulting as it may be, it appears to be true. This is from 2004 and it's only gotten worse over the years. AP

ITHACA, N.Y. — Nearly half of all Americans believe the U.S. government should restrict the civil liberties of Muslim-Americans, according to a nationwide poll.

The survey conducted by Cornell University also found that Republicans and people who described themselves as highly religious were more apt to support curtailing Muslims’ civil liberties than Democrats or people who are less religious.

Researchers also found that respondents who paid more attention to television news were more likely to fear terrorist attacks and support limiting the rights of Muslim-Americans.

It's a religious war.

I didn't say Americans were 'dumb', but I do think it's true that some Americans are ignorant about other cultures and choose to believe the fear-based propaganda in the media.

What they DO NOT understand are the actions of people who murder based upon the Koran.

You mean they need to understand the minds of terrorists? That's an entirely different subject, but if they read history and see how the Christians murdered based on the bible, then perhaps they will understand modern-day terrorists better.

Let Islamic experts debate the Koran, and explain what it DOES and DOES NOT say.

If you would condemn an entire culture based on what their ancient holy book says, then you better get some biblical experts on line. Oh wait, that's already been done and it's been determined that the bible is more violent than the Quran... www.npr.org...

"Much to my surprise, the Islamic scriptures in the Quran were actually far less bloody and less violent than those in the Bible," Jenkins says.
"By the standards of the time, which is the 7th century A.D., the laws of war that are laid down by the Quran are actually reasonably humane," he says. "Then we turn to the Bible, and we actually find something that is for many people a real surprise. There is a specific kind of warfare laid down in the Bible which we can only call genocide."

It is called herem, and it means total annihilation. Consider the Book of 1 Samuel, when God instructs King Saul to attack the Amalekites: "And utterly destroy all that they have, and do not spare them," God says through the prophet Samuel. "But kill both man and woman, infant and nursing child, ox and sheep, camel and donkey."

When Saul failed to do that, God took away his kingdom.

This God person seems like a major hater.

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
For instance, Quran 27:54-55 is very clear in its condemnation of male homosexuals, as is the Bible.

Yes, the bible and Quran are very much alike. I've never seen a liberal resistant to touch on this subject. Of course there's not going to be a sitcom about Muslim extremists (or Fred Phelps, either) They're simply not funny.

In many respects, Islam is correct, in that American society has turned its back on God, and has become a modern Sodom.

Oh, OK. The liberals are responsible for the downfall of America. I get it now.

edit on 1/3/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
It would be nice to see an American version of CBS News.

Other possibilities could be
Allah in the Family
The Muzzie Muppet Show with Khalid the jihad frog and his 72 Ms Piggy's

Why stop at TV shows, how 'bout movies like
Three Men and a Baby Camel.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

I am pretty sure that is exactly the kind of ignorance that a show like this could help combat. You know, by showing you that people that use camels in the desert do use camels in the US just because some of them are Muslim. Maybe enlighten you as to the nonsense about 72 virgins is wahabbi nonsenes and not a Muslim thing. You get the point. When people post such things as to demonstrate their entire world view of Muslims is made up from what they learn at a tractor pull, maybe Katie is on to something. Maybe you will learn what the word Jihad actually means as well. I find very few Americans can define the word other than what Sean Hannity keeps telling them it means.

Thank you. Thank you for highlighting why Americans need some actual knowledge about the things they feel so much about.
edit on 3-1-2011 by Sinnthia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

If you would condemn an entire culture based on what their ancient holy book says,

Actually, I do not condemn and entire culture based on what their Holy Book says. In fact, if members would re-read my posts on this thread, I NEVER condemned Islam. In fact, here is what I said on this thread:

Islam is a very respected religion, as is Christianity and Judaism, and all three condemn things done today, in this liberal society, which truly are an abomination to God/Allah. I would love to see an Islamic scholar explain their beliefs to the American public, because they are keeping with God's commandments.

I can only assume you drew that conclusion as a result of this quote of mine:

People already understand that Muslims can have a normal family life, just as any other group can. What they DO NOT understand are the actions of people who murder based upon the Koran. That is what needs to be explained to the American public. Let Islamic experts debate the Koran, and explain what it DOES and DOES NOT say.

Notice, I did NOT say that I need that explained to me, as I respect Islam. I said that "they"(meaning many Americans) NEED to have it explained to them. I understand the Koran, as I have read it several times, and discussed it with Muslim friends. The American people need to understand what the Koran actually says, and how Islamic scholars interpret the comments.

Finally, in my other post on this thread, I said:

If she were SERIOUS about increasing understanding, why not have a SERIOUS show, where Muslims could come on, and explain their beliefs and culture, FIRST HAND, rather than through the eyes of a comedy writer? Maybe then, people COULD get to know real Muslims, not some Hollywood myth.

Notice, there is nothing in any of my threads that say I blanket-condemn Muslims for anything.

I am responding to your post because I noticed several other members did not read closely what I said, or took what others said I said, and responded to what I did NOT say.

مع السلامة

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

hahahahahaha, Katie Couric and serious in the same sentence ... thanks for the chuckle

nice commentary and you're right, it'll never happen and if something does happen, it will likely be a reflection of Hollywoods vision, not necessarily a muslim one.

Actually, the Cosby Show did almost as much damage to race relations in the later years as it did to improve same relations in the earlier years. Reason being, the next generation (kids born in 80s) still had racial influences that subsequently convinced them the only 'acceptable' black man was one like that 'whitey Cosby', which only served to increase the racial divide and general resentment ... and that was never the intent of the show, however, the perception changes given the demographics of the audience.

edit on 4-1-2011 by Honor93 because: to add text

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinnthia

Tsk tsk tsk, you are missing the point by a mile.

Appreciate your attempt at trying to enlighten me, but the truth is this.
In case you've forgotten, the Cosby Show was a comedy show and comedy is something Muslims just don't get very well, if at all.

Don't believe me, let me remind you about something as simple and as harmless as the Mo cartoons.

If they over react over simple drawings, how will react to live action punchlines?

Good comedy is more than just poking fun at stereotypes and at others, it's also about poking fun at yourself.
This means you would have to risk making fun of your very own culture,
..which means you'll have some very angry fundamentalist in a hissy asking for your head on a platter.

Would networks even risk that possibility?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
In case you've forgotten, the Cosby Show was a comedy show and comedy is something Muslims just don't get very well, if at all.

Then how do you explain the success of Little Mosque on the Prairie in Canada? Statements like this (that Muslims don't get comedy) is the height of ignorance and bigotry. I have known many Muslims, some of them quite hilarious and able to poke fun at themselves. You clearly don't know anything about Muslims and prefer to cling to your ignorance.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

reply to post by Sinnthia

Tsk tsk tsk, you are missing the point by a mile.

Something tells me I was right on target.

Appreciate your attempt at trying to enlighten me, but the truth is this.

Bullseye.

You are basing that on what?

One of the funniest people I know is a Muslim. How many have you actually spent time joking with? There is another that spends all day laughing about the Daily Show from the previous night at work. I know this is never going to sink in but Muslims can also be people. Honest, I swear. Apparently people like you need to learn that still. I am sorry.

Don't believe me, let me remind you about something as simple and as harmless as the Mo cartoons.

Fanatics? I suppose Fred Phelps proves Christians have no sense of humor then?

If they over react over simple drawings, how will react to live action punchlines?

Who is "they?" You mean that less than 1% you are talking about?

Good comedy is more than just poking fun at stereotypes and at others, it's also about poking fun at yourself.
This means you would have to risk making fun of your very own culture,
..which means you'll have some very angry fundamentalist in a hissy asking for your head on a platter.

You really need to get out of your basement and meet some people. Nothing you are saying is based in reality at all. You bring up a tiny portion of a population and isolated incidents therein to make a case for the whole of the population? I guess John Walker Lindh proves all Americans are really Muslim Extremists then?

Would networks even risk that possibility?

Fox.

Sorry that you could not provide anything but sad, weak rhetoric to support some of the most ignorant claims I have read in a thread about combating exactly that in some time now.
I do appreciate that you went two posts in a row without resorting to just posting some picture you found on the internet instead of an original thought though. You are getting better.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
What is sad is that whenever we get any practicing moderate moslems on here some idiot chases them away. How can we understand their side of the argument and also build common cause against the fundamentalists?

We don't know what makes the canadian comedy show a hit or even if it is a hit. Does Canada have Americas rating war mentality? What do moslems think of the show?

edit on 4-1-2011 by tiger5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

". . . Muslim spiritual leaders urging their congregations to tune in."

The comedy, about Muslims living in a small Canadian prairie town, has generated "high anticipation in the community," said Mohamed Elmasry, president of the Canadian Islamic Congress.
"There are a lot of imams going around (suggesting) people watch the first episode this evening," said Elmasry, who is also an imam. "I believe it's about time for Muslims to laugh at themselves — we are a latecomer into comedy."

And what is the critical response of the Muslim community?

But at least one prominent Muslim community member said he has "some reservations about the depiction of Muslims as essentially a people whose lives revolve around a mosque."

Die-hard fanatics, all!

How is the show's reception in Muslim countries?

On May 8, 2007, WestWind Pictures announced that the show would be airing in France, Switzerland, and francophone African countries beginning in July. . . On September 26, 2007, WestWind Pictures announced that the show would soon air in Israel, the West Bank, Gaza, United Arab Emirates, Finland and Turkey.[19] On October 2, 2007, Al Jazeera English confirmed that the United Arab Emirates and Finland had signed deals to begin airing the series in 2008.[20]

Muslims sure hate comedy about Muslims

And what's this??

n June 2008 Fox announced plans to adapt Little Mosque on the Prairie into an American setting, in partnership with the show's production company

Damn you Katie Couric and MSNBC! You betrayed America to the enemy... two years late.

P.S.
Here FlyersFan, Hollywood may not be trying to teach you that Muslims are human, but Canada is!

The show, which has generated a flurry of interest largely because it's a comedy about Muslims that's set in a post-9/11 world, is not the type of fare a U.S. network would likely air, but Elmasry said he hopes there's a "spillover effect south of the border."
"I think they should learn from Canadians, that this is the best remedy to a high level of anxiety among American Muslims," said Elmasry, who concedes it's a "risky business" — even in Canada — to sell a Muslim comedy.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Then how do you explain the success of Little Mosque on the Prairie in Canada? Statements like this (that Muslims don't get comedy) is the height of ignorance and bigotry. I have known many Muslims, some of them quite hilarious and able to poke fun at themselves. You clearly don't know anything about Muslims and prefer to cling to your ignorance.

i was gonna stay outta this but BH, i think Alxandro just missed a word in his statement (which he added, next sentence) -- fundamentalist -- and, he has a valid point.

Actually, i hadn't thought of it until he mentioned the self-image aspect and the Mo cartoons.
perhaps the muslim populus who enjoy the show are not fundamentalists ... however, there are some, somewhere and someday those who don't approve, combined with the likelihood of vicious backlash is not a myth.

I have not viewed the sitcom you quoted, so i have no opinion of it. However, i am curious how your media ppl mitigate the obvious threat. It is possible that fundamentalists have a line of input regarding the show, hence no conflict, but i do wonder.

If a written cartoon sparks such an outrage, and a single episode on (south park or family guy or one of those) a US tv cartoon (not even human actors) prompts the removal of the episode before airing ... how does such a sitcom survive let alone thrive?

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

If a written cartoon sparks such an outrage, and a single episode on (south park or family guy or one of those) a US tv cartoon (not even human actors) prompts the removal of the episode before airing ... how does such a sitcom survive let alone thrive?

I donno...how do military funerals survive in a world with Fred Phelps? Does he define Christianity?

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by tiger5
We don't know what makes the canadian comedy show a hit or even if it is a hit. Does Canada have Americas rating war mentality? What do moslems think of the show?

The fact that it's still going after five seasons tells me it's pretty successful. Of course, some Muslims like it and others don't. But that's the case with every TV show. You can watch an episode and read some feedback, positive and negative both, here.

perhaps the muslim populus who enjoy the show are not fundamentalists ... however, there are some, somewhere and someday those who don't approve, combined with the likelihood of vicious backlash is not a myth.

And to that, I say, "So, what"? Are we to cater to radicals under threat of 'backlash'?

However, i am curious how your media ppl mitigate the obvious threat. It is possible that fundamentalists have a line of input regarding the show, hence no conflict, but i do wonder.

I'm not from Canada. If there was backlash or some kind of revolt, I think we'd have heard about it. But as Smedley's post shows, it looks like it's a pretty positive thing around the world.

It's survived 5 seasons and is spreading around the globe. We can't argue with that success. I condemn South Park for removing the episode. They don't cater to ANY other religion, but they buckled under the threat of offending Muslims. I also support the cartoonists. Catering to a religion is what got the UK in the shape it's in now. We cannot let religious pressure dictate our actions, so all this talk about how angry the Muslims are going to be matters not to me. I live in the US, a free speech zone, and I will support free speech till the day I die.

And I'm embarrassed and ashamed for anyone to use that as an excuse to keep it off the air.
edit on 1/5/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

I donno...how do military funerals survive in a world with Fred Phelps? Does he define Christianity?

ok, i really wasn't looking for sarcasm or religious bashing.
please share these with someone else.
i am not muslim or christian or any religion of which you are aware.
i find it rather 'interestingly odd' that you would choose a military funeral in comparison to a sitcom ...

to answer your silly question ... the Patriot Riders often intervene.
Do the muslim moderates surround the fundamentalists and block their view ??
is that why you brought it up and avoided an intellectual dialogue?

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

i find it rather 'interestingly odd' that you would choose a military funeral in comparison to a sitcom ...

Sorry to have you all a-twitter. I was merely pointing out the dangers in letting the extremists define the the group as a whole. As to all your skepticism about such a TV series...as amply illustrated, even to the point of offering up episodes for review...it's doing quite well. No sarcasm...just trying to educate.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
perhaps the muslim populus who enjoy the show are not fundamentalists ... however, there are some, somewhere and someday those who don't approve, combined with the likelihood of vicious backlash is not a myth. And to that, I say, "So, what"? Are we to cater to radicals under threat of 'backlash'?

my answer is No but the US has already conceded Twice, on two different platforms (paper, video) ... what makes anyone (including Couric) think this would succeed, here?

I'm not from Canada. If there was backlash or some kind of revolt, I think we'd have heard about it. But as Smedley's post shows, it looks like it's a pretty positive thing around the world.

no offense intended, but if you're not there and absorbing the impact directly, then your opinion regarding this topic is less valuable than i thought. kinda equal to the same msm coverage, everywhere ... ex: all the current mass die-offs of animals world-wide, that the msm is barely covering. life is just peaches and cream don't ya know? (heavy sarcasm)

It's survived 5 seasons and is spreading around the globe. We can't argue with that success. I condemn South Park for removing the episode. They don't cater to ANY other religion, but they buckled under the threat of offending Muslims. I also support the cartoonists. Catering to a religion is what got the UK in the shape it's in now. We cannot let religious pressure dictate our actions, so all this talk about how angry the Muslims are going to be matters not to me. I live in the US, a free speech zone, and I will support free speech till the day I die.

And I'm embarrassed and ashamed for anyone to use that as an excuse to keep it off the air.
edit on 1/5/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

why waste energy arguing success? however, there is a reason behind every success ... this is what peaks my curiosity.
Given the success (for whatever reason), as mentioned pvsly, go for it, more variety is always welcome (imho). However, given the attention already received by two separate, attempts ... i don't anticipate much success for such, here.
i too support free speech ... Katie did make the suggestion didn't she? that is why we're discussing it, isn't it? My question is about historical precedent (and the condition of our country, today)
I am totally dismayed by both situations (paper, video) ... i still cannot believe either caved, but they did. so, where does that leave an adventure like this?

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

my answer is No but the US has already conceded Twice, on two different platforms (paper, video) ... what makes anyone (including Couric) think this would succeed, here?

South Park does not represent "the US". How did the US concede on paper? I'm not sure what you're talking about.

no offense intended, but if you're not there and absorbing the impact directly, then your opinion regarding this topic is less valuable than i thought.

Oh, heaven forbid you don't value my opinion!
I can read. And Johnny Canuck IS from Canada. But you're going to believe what you want, it's clear, regardless of facts.

Still want to know what you mean by the US caving to a paper medium...

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Sorry to have you all a-twitter. I was merely pointing out the dangers in letting the extremists define the the group as a whole. As to all your skepticism about such a TV series...as amply illustrated, even to the point of offering up episodes for review...it's doing quite well. No sarcasm...just trying to educate.

first, i have no idea what "all a-twitter" is. I don't tweet.
your point is taken but it was delivered rather rudely and totally off point of the question posed ... how do the CN media ppl mitigate the obvious threat?
we've tried two separate platforms here, and retreated both times. this is a fact.
if you read my prvs post then you'd know that personally, i am For not against the proposition (doesn't mean i'll watch it) ... however, that doesn't change the environment or the historical precedent.
Care to have a real discussion?
Since your aim is to educate, start here ... the ppl (Patriot Riders) step up regarding that fruitcake you mentioned. (westboro or something like that) ... i hardly see any comparison. However, since you went there, answer my equally silly question ... do the moderates surround and block the fundamentalists view ??
my guess is no, so, how do they mitigate obvious threat? xtra protection on set? support from the imams? viewing at the mosque? pre-releases to influential authorities? really, i am curious.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join