It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God has left the building - where is He?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
I choose to beleive myself. I don't want to take a chance otherwise

You are the only one living your life so it is only right that you should be the one to choose how to live it. At the end of this life, we will all deal with the consequences of our actions whatever they may be as well as what we believe to be the quality of our lifes.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I think many of you are missing the point. By asking why God lets evil happen, you are indirectly saying that God didn't create evil, therefore he didnt create the world. The whole thing is God is part of everything. God is the natural balance of everything...good and evil. When you start declaring dualities, you lose sight of your God. I am not saying there will always be evil, I am saying there is only evil because we declare dualities and perceive things as such. In the middle, there is no happy, there is no evil, there just is.

But frankly, I believe our lives and even our after-life is what we believe them to be. I for one, am striving towards balance and infinity. I believe that is the key to breaking out of our constant reincarnation and our perceived after-life. Only then, will you be in everything, everyone, everywhere, and everytime. You will be the yin-yang for everything. But anyway, thats a different discussion.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by godservant
That seems to be one of mans biggest problems. To not believe without proof. This is the direct result of the lie.

He is not going to prove Himself to anyone - that would defeat His purpose. If you were going to steal something, you would not do it if someone were standing next to you watching. What better way to make heaven a place for only those who can be trusted than to watch us without being seen - to see what we'll do when we think no one is looking.

Also, I am not questioning my faith - I am just wondering where He's been for so long. Especially in a time where we need Him most - when we really NEED Him the most.

God has never left, he is all around if one chooses to see. Some people find God in a tree, a smile on a dog, the eyes of a child, or in their dreams.

Ask not what God can do for you, ask what you can do for God.

As far as proof beyond a doubt that God exists, I have seen enough proof to remove any doubt I have had in the past. That is enough for me.
Those who say "there is not enough proof" are really saying "there is not enough proof for me." I say, one only finds the truth if they look for it. The truth will not jump up and slap you on the back of the head.

For those scienctific types, have you ever seen an quark, lepton or a gauge boson? If not, how do you know beyond doubt that they exist?

One will only find the truth about quarks, leptons and gauge bosons if they seek to discover the truth. And even then, until one sees them for themselves they are only believing what somone else has told them.

I say this is the same with the belief in God-- one can only believe until they find it for themselves. (or choose not to look for the truth)

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raphael_UO

God has never left, he is all around if one chooses to see. Some people find God in a tree, a smile on a dog, the eyes of a child, or in their dreams.

Ask not what God can do for you, ask what you can do for God.

As far as proof beyond a doubt that God exists, I have seen enough proof to remove any doubt I have had in the past. That is enough for me.
Those who say "there is not enough proof" are really saying "there is not enough proof for me." I say, one only finds the truth if they look for it. The truth will not jump up and slap you on the back of the head.

For those scienctific types, have you ever seen an quark, lepton or a gauge boson? If not, how do you know beyond doubt that they exist?

One will only find the truth about quarks, leptons and gauge bosons if they seek to discover the truth. And even then, until one sees them for themselves they are only believing what somone else has told them.

I say this is the same with the belief in God-- one can only believe until they find it for themselves. (or choose not to look for the truth)

Very well said. I know God exists. I guess what I was trying to say - He seems to have been very active in mans affairs in the years before Christ. However, since Christ, it seems He has been gone - not helping to keep us inline. It seems that with such a high percentage of people doomed to hell AND controlling the world, it would be nice to get a little something that would steer us back onto the right path.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Very well said. I know God exists. I guess what I was trying to say - He seems to have been very active in mans affairs in the years before Christ. However, since Christ, it seems He has been gone - not helping to keep us inline. It seems that with such a high percentage of people doomed to hell AND controlling the world, it would be nice to get a little something that would steer us back onto the right path.

Nothing has ever been sent that has caused us to "get on the right path"...Religous characters came, mankind distorted their message, and then we fought over it...
If you believe in the biblical god the only thing I can say is-maybe god realized he couldn't show up without people fighting over him so he decided it was best to stay away for awhile...

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   

I know God exists.

How do you know this, because of a book that was writen 2000 years ago? Im not trying to be an butt-hole, but how do you know what proof have you recived to KNOW?

[edit on 7-7-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

I know God exists.

Well aside from personal events that have happened in my life and the fact that I am still alive - because anyone can say it was all coicidence, I won't go into those. How about evolution - we STILL have a missing link - logic? Hmmm. How about a bit further - we supposedly came from a one cell organism. *laughs* IF we did come from a cell then:

Why did we grow an organ to detect light?

Why did we grow another of the same organ to detect depth?

Why did we grow an organ to detect vibrating air? (sound)

Why aren't we currently developing an organ to do something else?

Why is our DNA like a code?

Why do we like music?

Why do we like art?

Why aren't we a big blob, like the cell we came from?

I think that those that do not believe we were created, never really looked for the truth. They just believe that because of their own experiences. I think that we were created twice - before adam & eve and after.
How do you know this, because of a book that was writen 2000 years ago? Im not trying to be an butt-hole, but how do you know what proof have you recived to KNOW?

[edit on 7-7-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Those are all questions, no proof there. Why cant it just be chaos?

Because it is to hard to believe these thing just happen. It easier to think that something made us. The same building block that make us are everywhere in the universe. Did he make that also?

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Who is the anti-christ? He that denieth that Jesus IS come in the flesh.

He is here.

Finding Him should be the 24/7 occupation of any true seeker & believer.

I have met Him and currently know Him, and He is wonderful.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ab2tw
Who is the anti-christ? He that denieth that Jesus IS come in the flesh.

He is here.

Finding Him should be the 24/7 occupation of any true seeker & believer.

I have met Him and currently know Him, and He is wonderful.

Again I ask how do you know you have meet him? Because he told you. HAHAHA

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
If you want to know where God is, ask yourself this. When was the last time you ever really looked for him? And not to see a physical representation of God, but when have you last spoken to him in a way you would a personal friend. I bet for most of us it was in a time of need, perhaps a very dark period in your life, where you were asking for his help. Perhaps you didn't get the response you wanted so you dismiss him and say he doesn't answer you requests. Then we go and ask "where's God now". How can you see him if you only look for him when things are bad. I would hate it if I had a friend or family member that I only spoke to when they needed my help. I'd probably end that relationship. I guess it's a good thing I'm not God huh?

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   

has let us know that He is still here? Why does it seem that He has forsaken us?

If he exists he is probaly worrying himslefs sick about condom use, stem cell research, and maybe the fact that his preiest seems fixated on young boys

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
It easier to think that something made us

True! It is easier and more comforting to believe in some loving divine father figure that is watching over us then to deal with the idea that you are no more or less special then the person sitting next to you on the bus or at work or at line in a McDonalds. The concept of god is a way to avoid responsibility. Now I am not talking about do what the church tells you to or you are going to hell, but instead actually taking responsibility for your actions and all future consequences of those actions. The responsibilities of thinking for yourself. If ignorance is said to be bliss, then mindless traditions and non-logical beliefs are the means to an end.

PS How is this a conspiracy again? *coughBTScough*

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
The concept of god is a way to avoid responsibility. Now I am not talking about do what the church tells you to or you are going to hell, but instead actually taking responsibility for your actions and all future consequences of those actions. The responsibilities of thinking for yourself. If ignorance is said to be bliss, then mindless traditions and non-logical beliefs are the means to an end.

Then what about the idea that you will answer for your eternal soul and if the answer is unsatisfactory, hell's fire will consume for eternity??

That seems to encourage responsibility for actions rather than not.....

If ignorance is said to be bliss, then mindless traditions and non-logical beliefs are the means to an end.
I do agree with you there........

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ab2tw
Then what about the idea that you will answer for your eternal soul and if the answer is unsatisfactory, hell's fire will consume for eternity??

Blindly following a religious control mechanism is not being responsible, it is being manipulated for someone elses gain. Responsibility can only ever be realised when you think for yourself.

If ignorance is said to be bliss, then mindless traditions and non-logical beliefs are the means to an end. I do agree with you there........

I am actually not attempting to insult anyone's beliefs. I have no problems with Christians or any other individual that subscribes to a particular believe. Live your life as you see fit. However, what I do have a problem with is an argument without proof or logic. Because that is what the bible, Koran, Talmud, etc said so it must be fact is not a logical argument. My concept of god exists because I can 'Feel' him is not a logical argument. There is a tree so god must exist is not a valid argument. Basicly if you can't prove it then don't claim to.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I got a question, what is proof?

I'll let someone answer before I say anything else.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Main Entry: 1proof
Pronunciation: 'prf
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, alteration of preove, from Old French preuve, from Late Latin proba, from Latin probare to prove -- more at PROVE

1 a : the cogency of evidence that compels acceptance by the mind of a truth or a fact b : the process or an instance of establishing the validity of a statement especially by derivation from other statements in accordance with principles of reasoning

2 obsolete : EXPERIENCE

3 : something that induces certainty or establishes validity

4 archaic : the quality or state of having been tested or tried; especially : unyielding hardness

5 : evidence operating to determine the finding or judgment of a tribunal

www.m-w.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   

1 a : the cogency of evidence that compels acceptance by the mind of a truth or a fact

That's pretty much all I have to say. The rest of the definitions are derived from this one. Proof to one person is not that to another. You can't tell someone what their proof should be.

You can prove God exists just as much as you can prove he doesn't...

[edit on 7-7-2004 by Jamuhn]

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I am simply refuting your statement that belief inthe bible leads to irresponsibility.

Now if you believe the Bible is true or not, that is a different story.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   

1 a : the cogency of evidence that compels acceptance by the mind of a truth or a fact

You can prove God exists just as much as you can prove he doesn't.

Proof is only so in the evidence of a fact. Where is the fact that a god/gods exist? There is no 'evidence that compels acceptance by the mind of a truth or a fact'. There is nothing testible to provide the fact of god/gods unless you are privy to some new information that I have not as yet heard.

[edit on 7-7-2004 by Jonna]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join