It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Korea works to contain foot-and-mouth, bird flu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   

South Korea works to contain foot-and-mouth, bird flu

edition.cnn.com

Seoul, South Korea (CNN) -- South Korea confirmed an outbreak of bird flu Friday as it struggles to contain foot-and-mouth disease, which has rapidly spread across the country.

A duck and a chicken have tested positive for the deadly bird flu virus, authorities said. The government has culled 119,000 birds and set up a quarantine zone around the affected farms.

Confirmation of the virus comes a day after officials announced they have raised the foot-and-mouth disease alert to its highest level
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on Fri Dec 31 2010 by DontTreadOnMe because: TITLE EDIT: Breaking Alternatice News stories require exact title for story

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Who's to say those crazy north koreans are not capable of a bit of bio terroisim. Foot in mouth and bird flue in one week in a country that has been threatened by its neighbour. Any thing is possiable. Maybe Next they will release swine flue.
I believe this story will only get bigger in the next few days. Or maybe I just need to put my foot in my mouth and go to KFC and find myself a pig. LOL

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
To the best of my recollection, last time we had foot-and-mouth disease here in the Netherlands it coincided with a bird flu also later on.

Maybe they are related in some other way than a bio-attack, but who knows? I know i'm no biochemist.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
There is a new twist from the old US made flu we keep hearing about.
The NKs may be capable too.
We need to keep up with the situation over there it seems it may develope in more unexpected directions.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
There is a new twist from the old US made flu we keep hearing about.
The NKs may be capable too.
We need to keep up with the situation over there it seems it may develope in more unexpected directions.

The new twist can just as well be a natural mutation of the virus. It's one of the reasons vaccines are useless (for us ) gold-mining operations.. By the time the vaccine is produced, the virus it's produced for has mutated already.
edit on 31/12/10 by Romekje because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
i doubt north korea would use bird flu to attack south korea as it wouldn't take much for a bird to cross the border.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by lewman

And that, Bio warfare with uncontainable viruses gives me the same feeling as nuke warfare... MAD

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
This could be very serious if it crosses to humans. The spanish flu in 1918 killed an estemated 50 to 100 million people and there is no cure.

The pandemic lasted from June 1917 to December 1920,[3] spreading even to the Arctic and remote Pacific islands. Between 50 and 100 million died, making it one of the deadliest natural disasters in human history
wiki

I won't go as far to say bio terror, although be it that is something that should be considered.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I'm going to watch this one develop.. it certainly feels this year is an attack (natural/otherwise) on our food sources what with floods, diseases and what not.. All in all I hope the South Koreans can contain both..

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Not again, soon here in the UK will have a case and all the hype will start once more.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

Starchild
Hear is what bird flu is

Avian influenza, sometimes avian flu, and commonly bird flu, refers to "influenza caused by viruses adapted to birds."[1][2][3][4][5][6][7][clarification needed] Of the greatest concern is highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI).
wiki

It is nothing to laugh at. It has killed more people then any other illness in history.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10

Originally posted by aarys

Foot in mouth and bird flue

post removed by staff

Since you know these DONT exist, you most likely know what he MEANT with them..

Avian influenza (Birdflu)

and

Aphtae epizooticae (Mouth- and Clawsore)

precise enough for you?
edit on Fri Dec 31 2010 by DontTreadOnMe because: quoted post removed by staff

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Not convinced that North Korea would use Foot and Mouth/Bird Flu as a bio weapon to take down South Korea. While both can cause disruptions and civil panic, with the right measures they can be managed and contained.

And posters have mentioned that this could "backfire" on North Korea and based on the current understand of the economic climate in North Korea, they could be hard pressed to contain a major outbreak.

Is the OP suggesting that this a part of the increased tentions between the two Koreas. I have no doubt that North Korea has a developed bio weapons program, and Bird Flu/Foot and Mouth would hardly rank as major killer bio weapons.

This might be part of a economic warfare operation but again I am not convinced.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Bird Flu could easily be used as a bio weapon since it's quite deadly for humans, mouth&claw is more of a nuisance. Yet using the Bird flu as a weapon aint the definition of smart since animals dont know borders, as mentioned above.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by aarys

It's flu season - reports are coming in from all over about Bird and Swine Flu infections. South Korea is just the latest to get hit.

As far as Foot and Mouth disease - it's been a problem everywhere for some time too - and it's closely monitored.

Like national debt - zoonotic diseases are NOT going away, they're just spreading farther, getting more complicated and compounding.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
reply to post by aarys

It's flu season - reports are coming in from all over about Bird and Swine Flu infections. South Korea is just the latest to get hit.

As far as Foot and Mouth disease - it's been a problem everywhere for some time too - and it's closely monitored.

Like national debt - zoonotic diseases are NOT going away, they're just spreading farther, getting more complicated and compounding.

Mass agriculture and domestication of animals is what's causing these farm/pet diseases and it aint helping in stopping the spread either. In the future im afraid the day WILL come that this will bite us in the behind bigtime and actually mutate into an unstoppable plague and jumps to humans, as has happened before.

Not yet i think though (we'll know at the end of the season i guess)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom ERP

Is the OP suggesting that this a part of the increased tentions between the two Koreas. I have no doubt that North Korea has a developed bio weapons program, and Bird Flu/Foot and Mouth would hardly rank as major killer bio weapons.

This might be part of a economic warfare operation but again I am not convinced.

I am not making that suggestion. Like was said below it is just the flu season, and SK is just the latest to report it. I just do feel it is something that does need to be considered. Even if it is a very small chance it might be true.

new topics

top topics

join